Lolita

Yet again I look up a page full of vocabulary words, but there’s nothing wrong with that. This book can and will improve ones vocabulary. In this section of Lolita, the narrator Humbert finally meets Lolita.

He talks about fondling her on one immortal day. Yes he does sound like a creep, but you get to hear and understand why he is this way. “In the course of the sun-shot moment that my glance slithered over the kneeling child while I passed her in my adult disguise, the vacuum of my soul managed to suck in every detail of her bright beauty, and these I checked against the features of my dead bride.A little later, of course, she, this nouvelle, this Lolita, my Lolita, was to eclipse completely her prototype.”(39-40) This Shows why Humbert feels this way towards a twelve year old. It’s like he is stuck in his 13 year old self. The death of Annabel froze him in time, leaving him only attracted to little girls. He calls Lolita Annabel’s prototype. I thought this was interesting. Back during his younger years, he couldn’t find anyone who he was attracted to. nothing satisfied him. He told older women to act as if they were teenagers. Now when he is way older he sees this twelve year old who is a direct copy of his dead bride Annabel.