Lolita – Part One: Sections 1-9

The first thing that I’m curious about in this novel is that the narrator is a guy named Humbert Humbert, but sometimes he talks about himself in the third person. For example, “She looked tremendously pleased with the bonus of fifty I gave her as she trotted out into the April night drizzle with Humbert Humbert lumbering in her narrow wake.” (23)  I feel that the narrator switches to third person whenever he is going to say something that he possibly regrets. I think this because he is writing the story in jail. Inference from, “You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style.” (9) and “I am writing under observation.” (10)

The narrator has a strong interest in girls. Even when he was young he fell in love with a girl named Annabel. The tragic thing is that she died because of typhus. From this first love, which was abruptly ended, the narrator probably got an image of the type of girls he would be attracted to based off of Annabel. WHich is why later in his life he likes young girls about twelve years old; though it seems he has never done anything sexual with them. He watches them on a park bench while pretending to read. (20)