The Ones Who Walked Away from Omelas

When I first began reading I was a little bit confused as usual. I didn’t understand if the narrator was trying to persuade us that the people who lived in the city Omelas were happy or pretending to be happy. My first thought was that because the 12th line the narrator says “If you can’t lick ‘em, join ‘em”.  Instantly giving me a thought that whatever the story was about their definitely be somebody or people afraid to stand up for was right. Not wanting to make a judgment off of a couple of lines, as I fully got into the reading I started to understand more and more. The story actually made me feel a little sadden for the young child. The part that stuck out to me in this story would definitely have to be how the citizens believe that they happiness truly cames from keeping this young child in this basement.  The narrators say “Some of them understand why, and some do not, but they all understand that their happiness, the beauty of their city, the tenderness of their friendships, the health of their children, the wisdom of their scholars, the skill of their maker even the abundance of their harvest and the kindly weather of their skies, depend wholly on this child’s abominable misery.” page 5. Even though there were people who didn’t understand they still didn’t question their behavior.  Why? Because they truly believe that their happiness came from the misery of this young child. And the fact that the narrator is constantly calling this young boy a “It” it really bother me. Giving me the impression that they looked down on the child as if he was less than a human being.

But at the end the story took a change, showing that there were people who lived there that had hearts. “They leave Omelas, they walk ahead into the darkness and they do not come back” last page. Not knowing where they are going they simply don’t care because in their mind anything is better than what they use to call there city “Omelas”.