The One Who Walk Away from Omelas

It was kind of ironic the fact the people of Omelas talk about how the city is and how their people are while they kept a dark secret hidden from the city itself. the narrator describe them as people who defies happiness but they look upon violence as something they enjoy. To me through out the whole story I got this cold feeling from how the narrator described the story. I couldn’t believe that the people of Omelas were going to be this way. “The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else.” I believe the people of Omelas looked at themselves as people who didn’t feel happiness as the same way we did. their knowledge was that pain and evil kept them interested and that they enjoyed doing this.

through out the story the narrator goes to specific details on explaining how they tortured the kid in that corner of a room. I feel that the author did a good job at it because i could vividly imagine it in my mind and the way the they kept the child from leaving the room and keeping there kind of made me remember the story of The Yellow Wallpaper. the child and the narrator of the The Yellow Wallpaper were both in the same situation. the only difference between them was one was cared to become that way while the other was punished through wickedness and evil to become the way he is now. i just wanted to add that because i thought that part of the story portrayed the child in The One Who Walk Away from Omelas.