The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas

In the text, I didn’t understand it at first but as I read the text a couple of times, it became clear. What i got from it, Omelas was in a sense Utopia. “In the silence of the broad green meadows one could hear the music winding through the streets… and gathered together and broke out into the great joyous clanging of the bells”. In this quote, the narrator use imagery to describe how beautiful and peaceful Omelas is. I felt while reading the text that anything too good always shrived from something evil. In the text, the narrator uses the word or phrase “darkness” to describe how the people in Omelas truly were. This “darkness” personified into an actually human being who they preferred as the “child”. This child became a symbol to why Omelas is the way it is. The way they treated the child by leaving him in that basement with no sign of him leaving. “Its buttocks and thighs are a mass of festered sores, as it sits in its own excrement continually”(5). This illustrate how little care the people of Omelas treated the boy. What I perceived from pages 5-7 were that some of the Omelas people felt that as long he was fed, the child would be okay in the basement. While others felt rage and sympathy for the boy, there was nothing they can do due to the Omelas’ laws. All those sympathetic people can do is treat their kids better than what the child have to endure. When they had enough of seeing the kid in those conditions, they leave Omelas and wonder off into the mountains to never return.