The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas

As we know the city of Omelas has a twist in maintaining their joy, their festivities, their delight and beauty. “Do you believe? Do you accept the festival, the city, the joy? No? Then let me describe one more thing?”(4). This statement to me, is the turn point, the twist to the story in itself. It is the “but” or “the catch” said when something is too good to be true. It’s saying, you don’t believe me in how perfect Omelas is? Well let me describe to you the unbelievable sacrifice that must me made in order to maintain such a status…you must believe me(kind of ironic, right?). A sacrifice that is in the form of a child; a bargain, Omelas delight in exchange for the misery of a child. “Those are the terms. To exchange all goodness and grace of every life in Omelas for that single, small improvement [in the life of the child]; to throw away happiness of thousands for the chance of happiness of one…the terms are strict and absolute”(6). I like the way Omelas beauty is summed up to be incredible, so incredible to be compared to the unbelievable state of a child, “the wretched one”(6). It’s a balance between opposites: pain for joy, one for thousands. “O miracle! but I wish I could describe it better. I wish I could convince you”(2). Omelas fate is being held by the neglect of a child; all of the pain Omelas would go through is in a way thrown onto this child. The child is symbolic Omelas’s pain.