The Yellow Wallpaper Great Story !

This was one of the best reads for me so far. From the first page I was drawn into the story off her optimism about a house and that lead me to think that there was another headline in the story just based on the title alone; The Yellow Wallpaper. As I read the story, there were so many different points that I couldn’t quite figure out the main focus of the story and that was what intrigued me. Until I reached pg 5 when John, said to the narrator “No one but myself can help me out of it, that I must use my will and self-control and not let any silly fancies run away with me.” I thought about it and said to myself she had to be crazy simply because she sees animation on a wallpaper and as a result her husband and sister-in-law Jennie are ridiculing her because they have no idea what she’s talking about. This type of tone just shows John’s concern about his wife and that nothing of a serious illness was mentioned drew me to that conclusion.

That seemed to followed with me until the end where it sunk in that she was indeed mentally insane. “I’ve got out at last” she said, “in spite of you and Jane. And I’ve pulled off most of the paper, so you can’t put me back!” This to me summed it all up that this story was based on a mentally ill patient and her stay in a nursery home and her imagination of a yellow wallpaper. The fact that the focus was pointed out at the end but still had enough imagination and details to keep me enticed made this such a great story and one that I enjoyed very much.