The Yellow Wallpaper

In my opinion, this story has a bugged out character in it…she’s mind irritating. I can literally feel my brain aching. Key statement I would like to highlight is, “He [John] says that with my imaginative power and habit of story-making, a nervous weakness like mine is sure to lead to all manner of excited fancies…”(3). At first I believed the narrator in regards to her feelings toward such a creeped out mansion, but then as the story progressed, I started to see her nervousness getting the best of her. It started getting to the point, I had to start asking myself, “Is she serious?”(sarcastically). This woman, the narrator, is too nervous. Throughout the story we see her wanting to cry for nothing as stated,” I cry at nothing, and cry most of the time”(4). She sees inanimate objects moving as read, “The faint figure behind seemed to shake the pattern, just as if she wanted to get out”(5). This then draws to the most important part. She has a weird obsession with her room’s yellow wallpaper. It even gets to the point in where she starts secretly accusing others of having a similar fascination with the wallpaper. She states, “He [John] seems very queer sometimes, and even Jennie has an inexplicable look…perhaps it is the wallpaper”(6).

She stated how she felt she was improving mentally but ironically, this was all due to the yellow wallpaper; the paper she greatly despised. We note her say, “John is so pleased to see me improve! He laughed a little the other day and said I seemed to be flourishing in spite of my wallpaper…I had no intention of telling him it was because of the wallpaper”(7). Now, more irony seems to come in, in that while she and her husband thought she was improving, she was actually declining in sanity. Even as we see at the end of the story, her “IMAGINATION”, which now completely got the best of her, makes her believe herself to be the escaped woman from the yellow wallpaper. To me this also seems to show some sort of possession of the wallpaper, as in everything about the wallpaper, every decision about it, belongs to her. I base my idea off the comment she made when she felt others wanted to figure the wallpaper’s pattern out. “I’m determined that nobody shall find it out but myself”(6). This says to me that she believes that there is some sort of special bond between her and the yellow wallpaper.