“Who’s Irish?”

This story shows the little differences between cultures. The main focus is on how a woman’s granddaughter is growing up differently than how she raised her daughter. I completely agree with is. The woman raised her daughter in China and now they live in America. This difference in environment causes children to grow up differently. There are things the woman can’t do because it is viewed as wrong in the new environment. For example, the woman wanted to spank the granddaughter in order to teach her not to take off her clothes everywhere, but the woman’s daughter doesn’t want to do that because people in America don’t do that.

Another difference that is told is that the woman’s daughter is living a new way of live. She goes to work and has a babysitter watch her daughter. Now, the woman watches her granddaughter. The difference told is that in China, a woman’s daughter would help take care of her when she gets old, but in America “Mother help daughter, mother ask, Anything else I can do?”

Print this page

One thought on ““Who’s Irish?”

1. I just realized that the title “Who’s irish?” was meant to be a question for Sophie. Since the narrator and her daughter are chinese thus are supposed to be disciplined and the narrator’s daughter’s husband is irish (also disciplined) the narrator is stumped on how “wild” Sophie is. Sophie is supposed to also be a hard working disciplined young lady but she isn’t. So she’s asking “Who’s irish?” since the story is mostly about Sophie and the description of Sophie’s attitudes, physical features, actions, etc. It was all about Sophie. But then again I think that in the end when the narrator moved to the husband’s moms house and the irish mom told her that she’s irish I think that the narrator was stumped on being called irish and she said “Who’s irish? I say, and she laugh. All the same, if I could mention one thing about some of the Irish, not all of them of course, I like to mention this: Their talk just stick. I don’t know how Bess Shea learn to use her words, but sometimes I hear what she say a long time later. Permanent resident. Not going anywhere. Over and over I hear it, the voice of Bess.” In the end she was told that she’s irish because she acts like the irish characters but she doesn’t believe it because she doesn’t like Sophie’s actions so she doesn’t want to think that Sophie’s “wild” side can also be part of the narrator’s character. Sophie’s wild side is also obviously not chinese like so it must be irish like. Also that’s why it says “Permanent resident. Not going anywhere.” Because to them the narrator does have an “out of place/ wild side” for beating Sophie and also being so disciplined. I just wanted to say that because your comment really clicked with me. Sorry for the rant. Have a nice day!