Two Kinds

I feel like the mother in this short story resembles most mothers out there. One who wants their child to be the best that they can be. Since at such a young age they cannot see this for themselves, the mother pushes them to do certain things they might not want to. The main character’s mother told her ” Only two kinds of daughters, those who are obedient and those who follow their own mind! Only one kind of daughter can live in this house” (pg. 1228) Even though it may seem as if the mother is forcing the daughter she really is not. She is just trying to ignite something from deep within her daughter, so her daughter can see that she is destine for good things. I feel this because the opening sentence of the short story states. “My mother believed you could be anything you wanted to be in America.” This shows that her mother is trying to show her daughter to be what she pleases, not what she is told to be, yet at the same time to be obedient.

I feel like through out the story there is a transition on the main character’s demeanor. She goes from the believe that her mother was forcing things upon her, to seeing her mother as someone who always maintained the hope that she will strive. I feel like this transition becomes evident when the main character says “And worse. I never asked her what frightened me the most. Why had she given up hope?” (pg1229)  Even though there was a rebellious girl in the main character, she always secretly liked that her mother pushed her to be things she herself though she couldn’t be. Even the conversion following the above quote, you can see that the mother still had not given up hope, and this realization made the main character feel “proud, as if it were “a shiny trophy I had won back.”(pg1229) Even though she means the piano resembles her trophy. I think she means the actual trophy is gaining her mother’s hope back, the believe that she can still be the “genius” she was meant to be.

1 thought on “Two Kinds

1. I thought I was the only one to post it late. 🙂

“She is just trying to ignite something from deep within her daughter, so her daughter can see that she is destine for good things.” Very nice phrase