“The Story of an Hour” by Kate Chopin

I had read some short stories written by Kate Chopin and I chose to read “The Story of an Hour” because it seemed to be an interesting short story.

As I was reading the short story, a line from the story caught my attention

“But she saw beyond that bitter moment a long procession of years to come that would belong to her absolutely. And she opened and spread her arms out to them in welcome.”

When Mrs. Mallard finds out that her husband, Mr. Mallard, passed away, she locked herself in a room. As she was in her room, she looked out the window and saw “patches of blue sky”, “new spring life”, trees and clouds. Then she suddenly shouted, “free, free, free!” revealing her happiness of her husband’s death. She believes that now she has freedom. Mrs. Mallard’s sister, Josephine, came to comfort her thinking she had locked herself in the room crying over her husband’s death. As Josephine was comforting her, Mrs. Mallard was whispering to herself “Free! Body and soul free!” Finally, when Mrs. Mallard came out of the room, she collapsed to see her husband opening the front doors to come inside the house. When she saw her husband, she “had died of heart disease–of joy that kills.” In my opinion, I think it means Mrs. Mallard is no longer free and that the freedom she has always wanted was now gone.

“The Story of an Hour” by Kate Chopin was interesting and I enjoyed reading it.