A Paradigm Shift

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, talks about how Rubin came to realizing the how she felt in life. Rubin was not depressed nor was she going through a midlife crisis, however, she felt very unsatisfied with her life. Rubin set out in search of finding happiness in her own life already. “And more important, I didn’t want to reject my life. I wanted to change my life without changing my life, by finding more happiness in my own kitchen” (12). Rubin created these goals or resolutions for herself, and divided them one for every month, this is the happiness project. A year long in trying to find happiness in her life without changing anything at all.

I really like the idea of Rubin’s project which is to find happiness in what one already has. This reminds me of Sean Covey’s book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens, that I read my second year of high school. In the book, Covey talks of a paradigm shift, and in a way, it is exactly what Rubin is doing. The end result in Rubin’s year long project is that her paradigms will have shifted to a more positive look. This will give her a more positive view on her life, and she will be able to have a more satisfied feel with what is going on in her life.

2 thoughts on “A Paradigm Shift

1. Hello! Yes, and one can either look at the glass half empty or full. Another way of managing well-being/happinesss is when one examines something in their life are the
    y cognitively ‘working it up, or working it down’….meaning our thoughts about certain things can change our mood and out look. Steven Covey’s book parallels a lot of HUS concepts. Glad you read the book!