How Happy Are You? A Census Wants to Know

In this article, a town in Somerville, Massachusetts was given a unrealistic survey allowing their residents to rate their “happiness” in a census.¬†

Wanting to be the first city in the United States, the Officials thought that tracking the happiness in a town with the population of 76,000 was a good idea.¬† Knowing that each person has an different outlook on what it is to be happy,¬† I don’t see the sense in this pointless survey at all.¬† Being stated that “more than 7,500 people have mailed back the survey” lets me know, and any reader with common sense, that could be¬†more or less 10 percent of the residents.¬†

Wow, that’s a lot!¬† Next time I pay rent, I’ll pay 10 percent so I can see what difference it makes on my landlord.¬†

For this town to be between two well known universities, I assumed even the person delivering their daily newspaper would have had a better proposal on finding how to make their town better.¬† ‚ÄúWe need to change our mind-set in how we serve people,‚ÄĚ said Mayor Joseph A. Curtatone, I agree.¬† Finding different ways to help the people in our cities live better is something to be optimistic about but doing a survey that only received about 10 percent of feedback is not going to do the job.¬† If the citizens’ opinions really mean anything, greater measures should be¬†taken to achieve the goals set to improve the happiness and well-being of the towns’ people.

Overall, I thought the article was “sweet” but thoughtless at the same time.¬† I felt that the responses that were mentioned from some of the residents really weren’t honest.¬† I even believe that the survey was honestly not taken seriously by most of the people that responded.¬† To actually measure the happiness of even a small group of people, you would have to get to know each person individually.¬† That takes too much time and actually having to get a …. care.¬†

[Revision for 9/12]

The article “How Happy Are You? A Census Wants to Know” written by John Tierney is about a¬†census that¬†was¬†sent out¬†to residents of Somerville, Massachusetts rating their happiness.¬† The Officials of Boston want to track the happiness of their residents to see if by doing so it can help to better¬†aide in¬†the well-being of their towns people.¬† The author gives a brief mentioning of the responses and reactions from some of the residents.¬† Also, psychologist and economists are helping in figuring out how the rating can actually help and which routes to take to further understand whether happiness is something useful for politicians endurance.

[Reflection]

The change that I made was I didn’t include my own personal opinions.¬† When writing a summary, you are to be¬†to just¬†rewrite in your own words the main idea of the assigned reading.