Professor Joshua Belknap | Co Req ML | Spring 2022

Freewrite 3/28/22

Reflect on the writing that you have done so far (the education narrative drafts, posts on the class OpenLab site and Perusall, all of the freewrites, writing about genre, rhetorical situations/choices, etc.)  Now think about your proposed research project and how the writing you’ve done so far connects to the project.

Specifically answer each question and post them on the class OpenLab site as a comment below:

• What personal investment do you have in the research issue you’ve chosen?
  • Why does your argument matter?
  • In what ways have you narrowed your topic?
  • What is/are your narrowed research question(s)?
  • What are you struggling with most as you approach this project?
  • What kinds of sources do you think you will use for your project (academic journal, online/newspaper/magazine article, book, Youtube, Tedtalk, blog, etc.)

1. Geovany Flores

What personal investment do you have in the research issue you’ve chosen? I really like this topic and I think it is a pretty complex and understanding topic that many people would like to read.

2. Why does your argument matter? It matters because everyone in the world has to drink water and if we don’t drink water we die.

3. What is your narrowed research question?
    Why don’t we take care of water when others need it?

4. What are you struggling with most as you approach this project? I’m struggling on how to organize my information. I just don’t get it right on how to organize each paragraph.

What kinds of sources do you think you will use for your project? I probably will use information from a book, Youtube, newspaper and online information.

2. Aleksandra Patyra

My first draft of the narrative essay was about my personal journey how I ended up in college in New York City, studying to be a dental hygienist. My next project will be also connected to the dental topic, because for me this is a very important topic that not a lot of people take seriously. Dental care topic is very large so I narrowed it down to focus more on what is the best way to educate patients and how that education changes people’s perspectives. I would like to also research more about dental care in other countries, especially countries that does not have an access to a lot of supplies. My narrow research questions are: Who is affected by my topic? Why this topic is important to me and why should it be important to others? How does this topic impact society?
    My biggest struggle with approaching this project will be probably trying to make the work clear so the reader can understand the importance of it. Dental terminology might be confusing for people so I have to make sure I ‘translate’ everything so the reader won’t get bored while reading it.
    For my research I will definitely use sources like – academic journals, dental books, dental websites and maybe YouTube.

3. Laziza Naimova

1. I believe that my topic about Covid-19 will be helpful and will show different opinions as well as it’s affects on people.
    2. I believe my argument matters because Covid-19 played a huge role in everyone’s lives and so many people suffereed from this disease.
    3. I decided to narrow my research topic by trying to identify key issues related to my topic, especially ones that I have an opinion on.
    4. My narrowed research question is “What has Covid done to heighten the tension in the struggle between faith and science?”
    5. I’m struggling most with finding good sources as I approach this project.
    6. I think I will use academic journal and/or online/newspaper/magazine article for my project.

4. Adam Bajwa

1. I think my topic about technology will help people know about the things they are unaware of.

2. I think my argument matters because technology is everywhere and people’s lives have been affected because of these things in a good way and also in a bad way.

3. The best way to narrow your topic is to try to pick one sub topic of the topic to focus on. Questioning yourself about the topic also may help you out because answers to those questions will reveal sub topics that might narrow your topic.

4. Why was technology invented and how is it being used now? How has technology changed our life in a bad way and in a good way?

5. I’m struggling with most about how to start writing the introduction

6. I will use articles, blogs, and youtube

5. Soufiana Togola

SOUFIANA TOGOLA ENG1101–D105

Project (Deforestation)

1. Personally, I don’t think having a personal investment on this topic will be necessary because forestry is sustainable. Wood is good. It is a renewable resource and a carbon sink, sequestering and locking in carbon throughout its life. The role that forests play in countering the effects of climate change have never been so important as they are today
    Through the photosynthesis process, trees take up carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and give out oxygen which supports our breathing. All living creatures need oxygen to survive and because the forests play an impressive role of availing oxygen, it is imperative to protect them by stopping deforestation

2. My argument matter because cutting trees can cause lot of consequences such as climate change, desertification, soil erosion, fewer crops, flooding, increased greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, and a host of problems for indigenous people.

3. Deforestation has many negative effects on the environment, that we narrow them down as:
    It is estimated that in 100 years time there won’t be any rainforests on earth anymore.
    The loss of Biodiversity.
    One and a half acres of forest is cut down every second.
    The rate of deforestation equals to a loss of 20 football fields every minute.
    Up to 28,000 species are expected to become extinct by the next quarter of the century due to deforestation.
    Deforestation affects water cycle.

4. My narrowed research question is about the negative impacts, consequences and disadvantages on deforestation.

5. On this project , I don’t have any struggles for now because it was one of my favorite topic to write about and give specific details about.

6. Honestly, I feel like I will use any valid or possible sources on this topic to write the best of it including specific details.

6. Emely

Emely Almonte
    03/28/2022

All the projects that we’ve done so far connect to the research project since we’ll be focusing on which genre is appropriate for our project, as well as which genre best fits our intended audience. In my research project, I’ll look for articles or blogs that show the importance of maintaining proper oral health. My argument matters since it’s for the best of our oral health. I believe that addressing the message of how important it’s to take care of your oral health, will prevent the suffering of many patients. Some of my research questions will be: “Why is it important to floss daily? Who is affected by this topic? Why is oral health important? What are the problems you may have to face if you don’t brush your teeth? Why should you assist your appointments daily? What are the foods/drinks that may affect your teeth? I’m struggling the most with how to make this helpful to others and the best way of addressing the message to patients. The sources that I will consider for this project are dental articles, YouTube videos, and online.

My research question will be: “Is dental hygiene really important?”

7. CARLY

-I have a personal investment talking about racial profiling because I have been recently confronted to that and it stunned me to see a person discriminate another with no shame.
    -It matters because the racial profiling it has been a part of the criminal justice system for quite a while now and is nothing new. furthermore, it’s not limited to a person race or religion also to the person’s nationality.
    – How often does racial profiling happen in us?
    Is there a way to stop racial profiling?
    – The struggle is to realize how often it occurs.
    – I will use book, online, article and newspaper.

8. Sabina Akhi

The subject of my investment research is my study journey. I start my studies. The first subject of my studies in my country is engineering. I study this subject for 6 months. I was not happy with my major. That was not my intention. Later I changed my mind and started reading about the law. After 6 months I moved to America. After coming to America, I got admitted to City Tech College. After I talked to them about my major, I heard them say that I can’t study law here because it would cost a lot of money, so I changed my major again. Now I am studying Dental Hygienist My study journey is very big.
    .My narrow research questions are why this topic is important to me and why should it be important to others? How does this topic impact society? My biggest struggle with approaching this project will be probably trying to make the work clear so the reader can understand its importance of it. I will identify this project as academic journals, online/newspaper/magazine articles, books, Youtube, Tedtalk, blogs, etc.)

9. Tayef Rahaman

1. I think my topic will be that everyone should have free insurance because everyone should get the same insurance not like one person has to pay for the medical and others don’t.
    2. I think my topic matters Because no one should go bankrupt when they get sick. Because universal health coverage is attainable. Because universal health coverage can help stop the world’s biggest killers.
    3. I think Narrow it down by age group, occupation, ethnic group, gender, etc. Try to identify key issues related to your topic, especially ones that you have an opinion on. You can turn your opinion into your thesis statement or research question. Focus on a specific country, province, city, or type of environment.
    4. My narrowed research question is “what would happen if everyone got free Health care?”
    6. I think I will use blog as my sources.