Professor Joshua Belknap | ENG 1101 ML D105 | Fall 2022

11/21/22 Free Write

Part of the final Unit 3 research project is thinking about audience, and how to best communicate with that audience. Using different vernaculars/dialects/registers with different audiences can make for more effective communication, depending on context.

Respond in writing to the following:

• How many languages do you speak? What are they? After you name the “official” languages you speak, name the other discourses, vernaculars and registers you speak, not necessarily national languages but languages you speak with friends, languages you speak with family, languages you may speak with people with whom you share a hobby like a sport.
  • To whom do you speak those different languages?
    How do you feel about speaking different languages to different people in different contexts?
    How does your intended audience impact how you speak to someone and the word choice you use?
    How does the purpose for your communication impact what you say and how you say it?
    How can you have a similar message or purpose for different audiences but use different word choice based on your audience?
  • How do you integrate all the languages you speak?
  • What kind of language or register or discourse are you going to use in your final project (Unit 3 research)? Explain, in detail, why this is the most effective mode of communication or register.
  • What genre is your project? If it is a traditional written academic essay, explain in detail why you decided that this is most effective. If it is a video presentation, explain why a video is most effective. Comment as a response here, or email me/share a doc.

1. Yuxin

I speak two different language which is English and Mandarin Chinese. I speak english only in school and with my old teachers that I still communicate with. Also I speak Mandarin Chinese at home with my father. I feel like it not so good because when I speak Chinese with my father my English speaking skill will decrease. My intended audience impact on how I speak and the word choice I make is by having to give more details about why I am writing about what I choose. I don’t know how the purpose of my communication will impact what I say and how I say it. I haven’t really decide on what word choice I will uses to speak to my audiences yet even if I did I only know how to write in english to my audiences. I don’t know how to integrate all the languages I speak. I think I would use English because I only know how to write in English. But if I am doing a TEDTalk I can speak both in English and Mandarin Chinese. I will write traditional academic essay because I can conclude what I really want to tell my audiences in a traditional academic essay in the conclusion.

2. JiaBaoLiang

I speak three languages which are Cantonese, Mandarin Chinese, and English, I would just prefer using daily Mandarin Chinese to chat with my friends.

For those languages, I speak Cantonese with my family or my parents’ friends who can speak Cantonese, plus, I speak Mandarin Chinese with my Chinese friends, for most of time, I speak English in American. For me, the purpose of speaking different languages is just to achieve commutation with other people who speaking different languages. During the progress of speaking with different people, I may using slang or bad languages to chat with my friends, for the rest, I just speak normally. The purpose for my communication impacted me by change my tone, for example, if I want to persuade someone, my speech will be soften. I can have a similar message or purpose for different audiences but use different word choice based on my audience by I transfer my words choice in daily words to a little bit more official words.

I don’t intergrade the languages I speak

I have not decide what kind language I gonna use in my final project

TED talk