This week, I visited the Nassau County Museum of Art’s exhibition “Blue.” The blue color in many nations symbolizes the sky and eternity. Blue is not just a color; it hides history and secrets. Many artists have discovered the vibrant blue color and used it in their work. Therefore, I wanted to look at three pieces that interested me.

The first work of Cain and Abel was created by Redon Odilon, a French painter and one of the founders of Symbolism. The work was created in pastels on Bistre paper, and the size is 31 1/2 x 23.6 inches. The subject of the picture was the biblical story of Cain and Abel. Redon Odilon, as a symbolist, emphasized colors and, most of all, azure, which here indicates anxiety and that something terrible is about to happen. This shade of blue brings the figures of Cain and Abel forward to show the central scene in the composition. The picture is not detailed, depicted in shapes and strokes. I think it’s a very emotional piece and would love to see it live.

The second piece of Huxley’s Guide to Switzerland is by Christopher Winter, a contemporary English artist. He reflects modern reality and life in his works. The work was painted in 2011 with acrylic on canvas, measuring 35.5 x 27.5 inches. Surrealism was used in this mountain fantasy painting and the style of Japanese prints. Artist Christopher Winter used several colors of blue to show spiritual and moral comfort. He balanced all the other colors so that everyone would like to find something new again and again in this painting. After all, different worlds, and views open when looking at different parts of this picture. Of course, the focus of the picture is made on two people flying over the lake. When I first looked at this work, I felt how freedom is felt in their flight.

And the third work that touched me emotionally and felt like I was immersed in a book was Saturday’s hallucinations on December 2, 2018, by artist Andrew Sensor. The painting is painted in oil on matte white plexiglass with white powder coating and measures 46 x 39 x 2 inches. The blue colors evoke a deep, sensitively poetic undertone to this painting. A traveler is looking into the distance and looking for something, maybe unwanted adventures, or events. In addition to the girl’s traveler, we notice a horse that has turned its ears to the mistress and is waiting. The landscape behind it does not divert attention from the main composition but only adds atmosphere.