Design Research Paper
• Select a photographer, illustrator, creative director, visual artist or designer
• Research their life with regard to education, and background as it relates to their work
• Discuss the individual’s create process and any influences upon their work, from other artists or cultural movements, trends or fields
• If he/she has well-known clients or exhibits discuss those as well as any award his/she have garnered, etc.
• The paper must include images of the individual’s work and these images should be credited
• Both the draft and the final paper should be submitted on your OpenLab ePortfolio site
• You should have at least 8 sources for your paper and provide footnotes using MLA style using Easy Bib or Attribution in Block Editor
• The paper should be 3- 4 pages in length
The first draft paper of this paper is due on Week 12 of class. It will be revised during our class on Week 13 during lab and the second and final draft submitted on Week 14.
Models to Follow from past Students:
Note: The Herbert Bayer Bauhaus Research Report below has only 5 sources because that semester I only required 5 sources
Logo Research Paper
Please select a logo of a well-known company (NOT Apple or Nike or Starbucks or Mercedes -Benz or Coke) that you find particularly effective and investigate the history of this logo. Use the Apple article we reviewed in class and your homework readings as a guide to how to write about a logo’s evolution. Questions addressed in your report should be:
• The story behind the logo–what it means and how it represents the company’s products/brand
• Who designed the logo, what the thought process was in developing it, whether it in influenced other logos since it was created and how the images that surround that logo in advertising are intended to complement it.
• Typeface and color changes should be noted and discussed. Ensure that you discuss each iteration of the logo as I want you as designers to pay attention to even minor shifts in typeface You should also note in your report where the logo is found–websites, print materials, products. and include photos of these in your report.
• You must have visuals of the logo to accompany your text. If the logo has evolved, show more than one visual depicting this evolution with captions below each image. Use the article about the UCONN husky logo as a good guide for all the elements you should include in your report.
• Be sure to provide at least 6 sources, in addition to the company’s site, for your information. You should also provide photo credits for all your images. Be sure to use your own words in your text––see the description of plagiarism in your Student Handbook. This report should be submitted to me on Blackboard in the dropbox provided. We will go over drop box submission during our first class lab.
This report should be 2-3 pages long. Rubric for this report is below:
Below is an example of you from a prior student who did well on this assignment.
Due dates are found on the Assignment link in Blackboard as the dates approach. They are also on the Lesson Page as the project is introduced.