AUGUST 11, 2021 / Tbauer / 0 COMMENTS
Due Date: September 22, 2021, for Logo Research Draft.
To Do/Written Work
Please select a logo of a well-known company (NOT Apple or Nike or Starbucks or Mercedes -Benz or Coke) that you find particularly effective and investigate the history of this logo. Use the Apple article we reviewed in class and your homework readings as a guide to how to write about a logo’s evolution. Questions addressed in your report should be:
• The story behind the logo–what it means and how it represents the company’s products/brand
• Who designed the logo, what the thought process was in developing it, whether it in influenced other logos since it was created and how the images that surround that logo in advertising are intended to complement it.
• Typeface and color changes should be noted and discussed. Ensure that you discuss each iteration of the logo as I want you as designers to pay attention to even minor shifts in typeface You should also note in your report where the logo is found–websites, print materials, products. and include photos of these in your report.
• You must have visuals of the logo to accompany your text. If the logo has evolved, show more than one visual depicting this evolution with captions below each image. Use the article about the husky logo as a good guide for all the elements you should include in your report.
• Be sure to provide at least 6 sources, in addition to the company’s site, for your information. You should also provide photo credits for all your images. Be sure to use your own words in your text––see the description of plagiarism in your Student Handbook. This report should be submitted to me on Blackboard in the dropbox provided. We will go over drop box submission during our first class lab.
This report should be 6 pages long.
Homework Assignment 1 due September 1st
Bio of Yourself
Your bio can address your background, your career interests, your hobbies, and what artists and creative work inspires you. Please see the following sites from previous students in this class for examples of past bios that were effective :
The website below explains analog vs. digital technology very clearly and concisely:
Also, in your text Digital Foundations, read Chapter 1 The Metaphor of Graphic Applications and do the exercises for next week.
Please read the following articles on logo evolutions so you will have different models to guide you in your logo research report but both content and source material.
• Land O Lakes Redesigns Packaging
• My Native American Father drew the Land O Lakes maiden; she was never a stereotype
• Land O Lakes Drops the Iconic Logo Of an Indigenous Woman From its Branding
Super Bowl Commercials
Please watch the Super Bowl commercials. They are the most expensive ads of the year. Here is a link of some that have been published. Make sure you pick one and bring the link to class to show us your favorite!
Leave a Reply
Leave a Reply