Spoken Word

Spoken word poetry is poetry that is written on paper and yet performed out loud for an audience. I for one would like to say that this type of poetry is one of my favorites. It allows you to emotionally connect to the poet while vividly seeing there body language. It is one of the most effective forms of poetry if you’re trying to get a message across to your audience. For instance, in the movie “Louder than a Bomb”, Nova Venerable presented this poem named Cody. In my opinion it was an emotional poem. She was explaining the struggles her little brother had to go through and how she pretty much raised him as her own kid. However, her body language was Positive when she would speak of him but when she spoke on her parents contribution you could tell her body language changed along with her tone showing this deep sense of sadness.

I myself have never been to a spoken word poetry performance. I would like to go to one and experience it lively because even while watching it I get into it. It’s a well developed passionate form of poetry in which I can say I enjoy better than poetry written on paper. In class, we actually read a spoken word it was Pedro Pietri’s “Puerto Rican Obituary” and you could just tell the difference from an average poem besides the length.

2 thoughts on “Spoken Word

1. kenisha Charles

I agree with what you’re saying I do believe that people have more of a connection to this type of poetry because they are able to see the speaker’s body language. I have been to a spoken word poetry event in Williamsburg and when I tell you the experience of what is being performed makes you want to do better and be better in life.

2. karina gooden

I couldn’t agree more with you, that’s why I have love for spoken word as well. You can read a written poem and not always feel the tone of the poem, until you hear it read aloud. You feel the speakers emotions through the way the emphasis words as they let their bodies and movement play a part into there presentation of their work; it draws you in and makes you want to listen. Cody was of my favorites in “louder than a bomb” she also knew how to tell and depict a story through her poetry. She always drew me in with her emotions, body language, and the way so spoke.