Blog Post #3—My Thoughts on Spoken Word Poetry
Must be posted by Mon, December 17, 2018 by 11:59 pm
Assignment: Write a blog post of about 200 words (at least 2 strong paragraphs) in which you react to studying spoken word poetry. Here are some questions you might consider in writing your post. Here are some questions to help you write a focused post. You don’t need to answer all of these questions, but a strong post will respond to a few of them:
- Which spoken word poems that we read were your favorites, which didn’t you connect with?
- What did you think of the film we watched, Louder Than a Bomb (2011)? What surprised you about it? What did you learn from it?
- Do you prefer spoken word poetry over older kinds of texts? Or vice versa? Why? Give examples of texts to help us understand your preference.
- Do you write spoken word poetry? If so, would you like to share a poem with the class? Feel free to post it and talk about what inspired it.
- Do you think you could perform spoken word poetry: why or why not?
- Are there other spoken word poets whose work you know that you would like to introduce to the class? If so, feel free to introduce us to his or her work and tell us how you found it, and what you find compelling about it.
- Are there connections between spoken word poetry and contemporary music, like rap or hip hop? Write about specific songs, artists, poets, or texts.
- Have you ever been to a spoken word performance? Where and when? What was it like? If not, do you think you would go to one in the future? Why or why not?
Please title your Post, My Thoughts on Spoken Word Poetry and choose Blog Post #3 as a category when you post.
Remember to comment on at least one other student’s blog post by December 19th at 11:59 pm.