Bridget Riley (3 interests)

Recently I visited a gallery in Manhattan that amazed me and spoke to my interest, this was a gallery full of some of Bridget Riley’s paintings. Although I didn’t know who she was until this point, it didn’t stop me a bit from admiring how she used color and what she was able to achieve on such a large scale.

The first painting I saw was one of lines and eye popping color. On a computer screen it isn’t half as mesmerizing as it is in person. It was a mix of muted colors and vibrant colors that stood out even from across the room. It took me a few minutes, but looking at this painting made me realize that 2 paintings were not put on one wall because the colors were so vibrant that they would compete with each other.

Adjacent to the painting above was the one below, it was a great example of color and how it can create illusions. The painting below was designed in a fashion that played with color and made it seem as if one color was above the other (like layers in Adobe Illustrator) when in fact it was not.

June.

Another work that was in her gallery was the one below, and while this is a small snippet of it, the size oft the one in the gallery was VAST. It was made of the same triangles below but when you looked at it these small triangles turned into bigger intersecting triangles. No matter where you looked on the canvas there seemed that there were triangles of all sizes and triangles in one another.