Response: Photographing the Beginning of the Civil Rights Movement

Robert Frank’s image and Will Count’s image are both very powerful. I’m not sure if it matters that one is art and one is news photography. You can still see that same theme or message in both. In Robert Frank’s image the segregation of the trolley is very clear, the white people are in the front and the black people are in the back. I think its interesting how the children are in the middle. Children are usually more oblivious and innocent because of their youth. It is also interesting how some of the subjects in the photograph are looking into the camera. Will Count’s photograph still has a similar vibe even though it is a “news” photograph. Elizabeth Eckford certainly stands our since everyone else around her is white. But what catches my attention second, is the facial expression of the woman standing behind her. She looks so disgusted by the presence of a black person. Elizabeth’s face doesn’t look too pleasant either. Both images capture the emotion that came along with segregation.