Discussion Topic: Nina Katchadourian’s iPhone photos

I believe Katchadourian is extremely creative, her work reminds me the things my little brother used to do when he was a kid. When I was looking at her pictures I was thinking about the reaction some people would have had when they saw her doing them. At the moment they must have thought that she was ridiculous and immature, because that is not a “proper” way to behave during a flight, specially if you are an adult. I don’t believe that every person who takes pictures (with a professional camera or with a phone) is a photographer, but I also believe that an artist does not need all the expensive materials to do something creative or beautiful. About the self-portraits, I think is really clever to do that with just toilet paper, seat covers, etc., and yet still being able to make a good reference to the Flemish portraits painted some time ago. The original portraits, I believe were created to show the pureness and connection to god of some women, the innocence and the fact that they were “good girls”. Nina, by doing this representations of herself, I believe is doing all the opposite. She is making fun of that concept, and she is saying that she is not like that. It reminded me a CD cover of a mexican singer (Ximena Sariñana), where she is presented as the perfect wife, which nowadays is a concept that the western world makes fun of (at least in the big cities).