Subways Portraits by Walker Evans

I’ve always had a fascination for pictures of the old New York City, and to be able to see an entire exhibition about subway portraits of that time is just amazing. Somebody told me that sometimes it is much better to take pictures of people without them noticing, and I find that really helpful. It’s not the fact that I’m to shy to ask somebody if I can take their picture, but most of times people react in front of a camera; they just stop doing what they were doing, they change their face expression, they pose and the picture is just something different to what you wanted. So, taking this in consideration, I really think that Evan’s method was perfect. I don’t believe it was a privacy violation, but maybe that is just because I’m a photographer. Besides, nowadays we have cameras all over the city recording each of our steps, so taking pictures without people knowing in the name or Art, is not that bad really. Something interesting, is that people at that time had the same facial expressions as people today in the NYC subway system (unless you are a tourist). I believe this is because we are there by necessity. I don’t believe many people out there want to spend two hours of their life in a relative small moving compartment with people they don’t even know. Maybe in 100 years, when train in NYC travels in the sky, people will still have the same expression, the same eyes going anywhere outside that metal box.