Respone Discussion Topic: Photography and Tragedy

After reading the article “What  It Feels Like To Be Photographed In A Moment Of Grief” by Coburn Dukeheart, I think some of the points are reseaonable. The photographer who took this photo because his job requiredhe to do it and it was his job to shows the fact to world. I believe photograph is a great invention that allows people all around the world to see fact and truth directlly and offically. For example in this photo, a woman attended a prayer vigil at Church. The photographer really good at his job by viewing this great picture. The lighting in the photo is perfect and a nice capture of the people’s movement. The warm candle light around the woman shows a sense of grief and sorrow.

However, if you take a deep thinking about this photo, you can see sarcasm in this photo. In the photo, there are bunch of people standing with their camera and viedo. The lady that photographer foucsed just like an animal in the cage. This also points out another disadvantage that photograph brings in, personal privacy. Therefore, in this case, I suggest that if photographers are going to take a picture of someone else and use that photo in public, I think is better to ask that person’s will first before the photo publish.

To sum up, there is a very conflict problem while a photographer to take a photo that relates to a tragedy or like this one the moment of grief. Photographer wants to reveal the fact. On the other hand, it will somehow violated other people’ s priacy.

This entry was posted in Discussion Topics. Bookmark the permalink.