BiQing Liu- HW#1 Photography, Instagram and the Food Industry

With the increasingly use of social media, apps like Instagram have a huge influence on people’s decision making, such as which restaurant to dine in for next meal. Users of Instagram are able to find new restaurants by looking into the posts on Instagram. With the beautified pictures and captions of the food, followers of that certain Instagramer will be easily convinced to try that restaurant.

Photography, food and social media created a new business opportunity for both the restaurant owners and social media users. It is no longer peculiar for restaurant owners to pay for certain Instagram users to take a photo of their food and post on Instagram. The photo posted on Instagram will then act as advertisement for the restaurant. By paying for the photo, restaurants are able to increase their sales and attract more potential customers, Instagram users are able to make a decent money for what they do every day and consumers are able to find new restaurant.

I personally don’t take photo of what I eat, but I do make my decision based on what people eat. If a photo really draws my attention, that restaurant will be the next one I am going to. Based on my personal experience, I do believe that photography is deeply connected with food industry and social media.