We have begun the final project of the semester – a commercial space. In class each of you developed an “interest” board of your own interests in hopes that from this we could find a theme for each of your commercial projects.
For Friday I ask for the following:
- 1- Bring in a piece of music that sets the tone or mood of the space you are creating.
- 2- Identify the product or service you will be selling. (electronics, restaurant or other service)
- 3- Put together a Mood board that identifies “colors, textures, lighting, materials and furniture” for your space.
- 4- Visit the site before class so we can discuss it.
For Wednesday you need to complete the following:
- 1- Completed case study. Identify the elements from the “Mood” board for this space. You should pick a space that you like and identify what you like and what you would like to improve about it.
- 2- For design Identify the length of the lot line that faces Adams street and create three models for facade development. You are working only on the skin of the building – and you may go up to the height of the adjacent building. Come prepared to continue to work on your facade design in class and build additional models.
- MODELS ARE NOT OPTIONAL – If you do not work in model form from the beginning you will not achieve the grade for the semester I indicated was still within reach.
Your eventual design may be a multistory building.
Do not fall behind – there will not be a chance to catch up!
- Pick a panel – manufacturer size and specs
- Solar Panel (photovoltaic)
- Solar Hot Water Panel
- Calculate Energy Load
- Energy strategies to provide:
- Electricity (Appliances & Lighting)
- Space heating
- Hot water heating
- Calculate needed panels (photovoltaic & hot water)
- Other Strategies utilized
- Rainwater collection
- Grey water reclamation and use
- Humidity Control
- Green Roof
- Radiant Heating
- Passive Solar (Trombe wall, etc.)
- Design Strategies & judging
- Meets program requirements (dining for 10, etc.)
- Efficient core
- ADA compliance
- Quality of space
- Circulation (Private/Public)
- Convertible spaces
Drawings / Boards Required:
- Research Information
- Panel Selection
- Energy Load
- Energy strategies
- Panel Count/Usage
- Additional Strategies used
- Wall Section 3/4″ = 1′-0″
- Partial Exterior Elevation to match 3/4″=1′-0″
- Plan 1/4″
- Full Exterior Elevation (same scale as plan (1/4″))
- Multi-Unit Plan w/core (if more than 1 unit per floor) 1/8″
- Stacking Elevation 1/8″
- Floor Shipping Diagram (1/8) or 1(1/16) – shows how plan breaks up to be shipped
- Materials Strategies
- Model of 1 unit 1/4″
For calculating kWh for your solar panels and appliances
Power (watts) = Voltage (volts) x Current (amps)