Mapping a text can occur at multiple scales (macro or micro/ zoomed out to see the big picture or zoomed in to see the details clearly.)
The steps below can be used at either the macro or the micro level. You are encouraged to not mix the macro and micro. Start with a macro mapping, then take the categories and break them down further on another map.
- Identify the major topics and concepts of the text
- Take each topic and break it down into categories of concepts/information
- Breakdown further with key attributes of the category
- Begin to diagram the relationship between the attributes
- Avoid letting maps get too complex.
- Summarize the reading using the concept map.
- Reflect on the maps in your notebook and in online blog posts.
More on concept mapping: https://www.readingrockets.org/strategies/concept_maps
Website resource: https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/graphic-organizer/