This assignment combines the development of a three dimensional representation of the selected floor(s) of the case study building and the application of a system(s) of structure to span across one or more spaces making a deck for a roof or a floor above the space. Each structural element will be sized using simple rules of thumb. The full system will be documented as an axon and a section view of each element of the system. All elements are to be dimensioned, labeled, and annotated with details including the span dimension and the rule of thumb applied as well as the reference for the rule of thumb.
|Learning Outcomes||Assessment Methods|
|Upon successful completion of this assignment the student shall be able to:||To evaluate the students’ achievement of the learning objectives, the professor will do the following:|
|Develop coordinated, accurate, and consistent axonometric views demonstrating the proper use of axon drawing conventions.||Review student case study floor plans for accuracy, coordination, and consistency as well as the application of line weight and drawing conventions following assignment rubric.|
|Apply Information from the reading within the discipline.||Review student applications of disciplinary concepts in drawing assignments.|
|Understand and apply basic principles of structural characteristics of materials following rules of thumb.||Review student drawing assignments for accurate application of rules of thumb to sizing structural elements for a specific span.|
This assignment is focused on applying the reading material to help build a deeper understanding and direct experience of the concepts discussed in the text.
Understanding of three-dimensional projection, completion of the required readings.
Student work submitted must be original and developed individually. Tracing is not acceptable. All construction lines and notations during drawing construction are to remain visible at final submission. Drawings without construction lines (guidelines) will be downgrading significantly.
NOTE: All drawings to be on 12″x 18″ sheets at scale listed below unless otherwise agreed with Professor Montgomery
- Structural Bay Axon @ 1/8″=1′-0″
- Component Sections @ 1 1/2″=1′-0″
- Calculations and Annotations (Lettering to be 1/8″ high max)
Follow these steps:
- Sketch various configurations for the structural system
- Select one configuration and work through the calculations using rules of thumb for each layer and component
- Sketch each component in section and mark dimensions of depth and width
- Layout out reference lines for axon detail (structural grid lines and primary guide lines)
- Using guidelines, indicate vertical structural elements (15′ tall, 18″ square or diameter)
- Working in the sequence of construction, layout each layer of elements using peel away strategy to show clearly each layer (see mockup above)
- Finally axon line weights and annotate each component in system.
- On second sheet, draw center line for component sections
- Using guidelines, layout each component section at required scale, started with the primary beams 1″ above the bottom of the sheet.
- Add dimension strings to each component to indicate depth and width. See guide for dimensions here and for lettering here
- Using 1/8″ lettering, with space between each line, show all steps of structural calculations, including page reference for Ching’s rules of thumb.
- Complete each of these drawings. Scan on flatbed scanner and format per the course formatting guidelines (found here)
- Submit all formatted files as directed by your professor