Prof. Duddy ARCH1101.OLC5 | Prof. Rosen ENG1101.LC07

Annotated Bibliography #3

Brian Harte, Reflections on the Hospital Environment, The Hospitalist. 2014 January;2014

https://www.the-hospitalist.org/hospitalist/article/126374/reflections-hospital-environment

The genre of this specific source is an article. Throughout the article Dr.Harte writes about his experience as a doctor and how we shouldnt take advantage of how hospitals affect our daily lives. In the article Dr.harte talks about his own reflection about hospitals ā€œLives are transformed in hospitalsā€”some by the miraculous skills and technology available, and some despite that technology.ā€ He reflects on the fact that lives are saved either through the availability of technology or the great skills of doctors. It explains that hospitals are a place of saving lives even though some lives are lost. The workers try their best to make sure their patients and families have the best experience there and everyone gets the same treatment.

Reading through the article it really changed my thinking of how hospitals are even though i dont have alot of experience being inside a hospital. It is very interesting to read about and hospitals impact people’s lives a lot. It mentions ā€œWe also walk patients and families through the end-of-life journey. To organize families and patients around such issues and help them find a path toward understanding and closure is a remarkable experience as well.ā€  I was always afraid of the doctors and didn’t really feel comfortable being around a hospital or doctors which is the reason I am not really familiar with it. But reading through the article i can reflect and feel connected and see what nurses and doctors go through everyday helping out families and patients through life or death situations. 

Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā The tone of the article is to enlighten and uplift. I feel the intended audience is patients and everyone else because everyone in their life has experienced a hospital before, and also I feel that everyone can learn something new from reading this article. Dr.Harteā€™s article about reflection on hospitals can be a credible source because he is a doctor himself and has gone through it.Ā 

1. Jody R. Rosen

Narrowing your focus to hospitals could be a really interesting approach. Places like gardens, lounges, and chapels within hospitals are often mentioned as having an important role in well being, largely because of the opportunities for reflection they provide. The article you wrote about in your annotation is someone’s reflections about a hospital, but it isn’t about a space for reflection. You’ll have an easier time with this project and the ones that follow if you find materials that help you think about spaces for reflection. Here’s one that is about a hospital and the importance of healing gardens within hospital grounds: https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2020/04/22/elliott-martin-the-healing-garden-lost-to-corporate-healthcare/

I chose this article to recommend specifically because I thought it would appeal to everyone’s architecture student sensibility: it’s also about how the healing garden is being replaced with a new building, and the kinds of choices that get made when developing a new site.

Let’s talk more about your sources if you have time to meet!