Prof. Duddy ARCH1101.OLC5 | Prof. Rosen ENG1101.LC07

ENG 1101 Project #1 zafarjon abdukahorov

1. What is a moment, a person, or experience that led you to choose architecture as your major? or that has led you to any other choice you have made regarding your education?

My experience on how I got into Architecture was as a kid I never was interested in school and still am not to this day. Why do we need school? I felt like it was always a waste of time. School isn’t my favorite topic to talk about. I don’t understand why we needed to do all those exams and take classes on subjects we weren’t ever interested in. But when I took an art course in middle school, we were drawing a sculpture we had made and while I was doing that I really enjoyed it, my teacher back then had told me ā€œThat I should pursue what I love to do and that I should keep practicing to be better and keep on learning about itā€ this really gave me motivation to start learning about it and practicing. Even though I had no passion for school I really loved to draw and make sculptures. The experience I had in elementary school really got me to fall in love with architecture and made me understand that I would want to be an architect when I grew up. The project we had made where we used popsicle sticks to make a bridge really got me thinking about architecture and how I was interested in it. In the beginning when I started high school I wasn’t really sure what i would do after highschool but I had a deepĀ  thought to myself that i should follow a career where i loved to do it instead of having a 9-5 job where i was miserable and no desire or no love for the job. So I basically chose architecture because I am very passionate about learning about it more deeply and becoming an amazing architect one day just like philip Johnson an american architect best known for his works of modern and postmodern architecture

2. How did you know college in general or City Tech specifically was the right choice for you? was it always?/ Who is a role model for you as an architect? as a writer? as a student? as a person?

Ā Ā Ā I had experiences where people told me that i couldn’t be an architect and where i wanted to give up on it but,even though it was tough hearing those words i always believed that i could pursue my dreams even though nobody had believed in me. I had watched videos on how the burj khalifa was built in dubai and how architects made those amazing buildings in a tough environment where the geography is just miles and miles of sand. Watching those videos gave lots of ideas and I was imagining if i could be as good of an architect like them. But I believe education is necessary to an extent and schools don’t also fully teach us the important things we need that will help us to succeed in life. In my opinion people in general have to have a choice on pursuing school once they are in a certain age where they can make their own choices. Even though I don’t believe that school isn’t necessary. I knew that if I wanted to become an architect I had to finish college and get my diploma but I knew citytech was the right choice where I could start my education on architecture in a professional way, and also citytech was the closest architecture school near me where i didn’t have to leave home just to attend school.

3.Describe a transformative experience you had as a learnerā€“either in school or in life.

for this one you can basically just understand the experience i had as a learner by reading what i wrote above writings wear basically everything is explained.

1. Kevin Giron

When you asked the question, “why do we need school?”, that caught my attention because I felt like that before as well. After a while I understood that for what I wanted to do I needed school and that is applicable to many careers, which led me to change my mind. What also caught my attention was when you mentioned that you wanted to enter a career that you loved and I feel like that is very important for everyone since you want to be happy in life making good income. The only way to achieve this is working in a field you love. Finally I liked when you mentioned that people telling you, you couldn’t do something, motivated you to continue pushing forward and it didn’t make you give up. That’s super great. Overall I thought your answers were great and how you addressed them. Continue working on the narrative writing and try to perfect it. Sounds great so far.

2. Jody R. Rosen

Zafar, you grapple with a question many of your classmates have considered and are perhaps still dealing with, and which your peer review partner identified so clearly: “why do we need school?” It seems like this is an unsettled question for you, or one that you have resigned yourself to in the pursuit of a career that you will love. You can think about using that question to guide your whole narrative. You can write about why you didn’t want to go to school, how you found something in school that you can love, and how that has driven your decisions since. If you follow that organization, think about devoting more space to what about drawing you love, who the teacher was who inspired you or gave you good advice and how that relationship developed, and even including a drawing that you are proud of or that highlights the skill and passion you have.

Another part of this narrative is about non-school learning. You mention role models and people you learned from through videos. These are ways that we learn that aren’t part of school. Talk about that! In this assignment to answer questions to help you write your draft, you need to choose questions that speak to you. Find a third question that can help you develop your ideas for your narrative.

You will also want to think about who your audience is and what the purpose of your narrative is. Are you imagining that you can convince other students who don’t love school to find their passion that can carry them through school toward a successful career? Or are you trying to show your teachers who let you down that they made you hate school? Or something else? If you were to apply to an internship, job, or graduate program with this piece of writing (you won’t, but imagine), would you shape this differently? You might end at a different place, or find a way to show that you love learning even if not in school. Do you see what I’m getting at here?

Let’s talk more in a 1-on-1 session, so please sign up if you haven’t already. I look forward to reading more of your narrative!