Prof. Duddy ARCH1101.OLC5 | Prof. Rosen ENG1101.LC07

Week 1 Schedule and Assignment

ARCH 1101      INTRODUCTION TO ARCHITECTURE

WEEK 1       Introduction: The Role of the Architect

The Profession of Architecture  What do architects do? How do I become an architect? What roles do architects play in our society?  These are the types of questions investigated in this first class.  Students will be introduced to the BArch and BTech curricula of Citytech to understand the various paths they can follow to pursue a career in architecture and related fields.

Vitruvian Triad  Using the framework of the Vitruvian triad as a simple starting point, students will be introduced to fundamental concepts of architecture and to the methods of understanding buildings.

Class Schedule

Discussion and Presentation:  Becoming an architect: BArch and BTech at Citytech

Lab:

1. In-class Writing Exercise:  What do you see? Write a one-page description of the building projected on the screen.
  2. In-class Video: Archiculture: experience architectural studio culture with a visit to Pratt:

Homework Assignment:

1. Purchase a sketchbook (8”x10” or so), an architect’s scale, drawing pencils, and a triangle.

2) Read Vitruvius, Ten Books of Architecture
      Book I, Chapter 2: The Fundamental Principles of Architecture
      Book III, Chapter 1: On Symmetry: In Temples and in the Human Body
              http://www.gutenberg.org/files/20239/20239-h/20239-h.htm

3) Writing Assignment: In Book III, chapter 1, Vitruvius relates symmetry to the human body. What does Vitruvius mean by symmetry? How is the human body symmetrical? How is a building symmetrical?

1. Write a 200- to 250-word (long paragraph) and describe what Vitruvius means by symmetry. Your paper should be written in full sentences in paragraph form using 12 point Ariel font on 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper. Place your name, date, course number (ARCH1101), professor’s name (Prof. Duddy), and assignment number (Assignment 1) in a column in the upper left-hand corner of the paper.

2. Write a 200- to 250-word (long paragraph) and discuss the importance of the principles of Order, Arrangement, and Eurythmy as described by Vitruvius.

1. Luka Vardoshvili

good afternoon, i have question about homework. In homework I have to describe what Vitruvius means by symmetry. There is no specific information about Vitruvius. I did some research about Vitruvius by my own and i found some similarities from the book you told us to read. should i use my own research which is connected to book to write the answer or is there something i missed.

2. Jody R. Rosen

Hi Luka,
    I just noticed your question when I was reviewing the ARCH 1101 weekly agenda. If you notice, Prof. Duddy asks everyone to read two chapters in a book, Ten Books of Architecture, and he provides details about which chapter. He also gives the link to a full-text online version of this book: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/20239/20239-h/20239-h.htm. If you click the link, you’ll see the whole book, its table of contents, etc, so you can find the two sections he’s asking you to read. I hope that helps! I’m sure Prof. Duddy can guide you further if you have additional questions.

3. SiniaB

Are we supposed to post our responses as comments?

4. shantal tapia

On blackboard, professor duddy mentioned where to put the assignments but how do i upload my assignment onto blackboard. What button do i pressed to upload my assignment in the homework file he provided? Also, is professor duddy doing zoom calls?

5. Luka Vardoshvili

hello professor, the week one file is blank, there is nothing to attach and it says There is no content to display”, please review and let me know, thank you!

6. Kevin Giron

I’m having the same problem. When I press on the week1 file there is no, “Build Content” button when there is supposed to be one. There is no way to upload the file. I’m going to send it to Professor Duddy’s email just in case but hopefully this gets resolved soon.

7. Johnathon Abrego

Hi u sent me a email yesterday about me not attending class, may u give a link or a description on how I can attend the class, also the files on black board for the homework have no way on how I can submit the homework.