Barrington Simpson Exhibit review

The Chinese photobook exhibit at Aperture somewhat interesting. In terms of the photography it was quite interesting to see how photos where done back then. The  self made edit were amusing. The way they scratched out different people in the picture to highlight and keep the focus on their main subject. The different use of paper throughout the years helped to show how the craft of photo taking and back then advertising slowly progressed to new age time. It was also evident that the main themes of the pictures of the Photobook exhibit was what took place during the war.Thus, most if not all their photos where either war or propaganda based.

I really liked the Jimmy Nelson exhibit at the Bryce Wolkowitz gallery. Unlike the photobook exhibit where they mostly focused on what was going on in the city politically, it was clear Wolkowitz  main purpose was to highlight these people as a culture over all. He mainly  shot close up target so as to give a deeper look into these people’s lives in my opinion. Each picture gave a different feel to the exhibit and just made a clear distinction.

The Public Eye, at the NYPL  was ok. Most of the pictures that was in the exhibit i had already learned bout in my History of Photography class so  they were very familiar to me. Thus, its because they are so familiar is why i can say that this exhibit was better understood. Knowing the situation behind how these pictures were taken just proves there significance to the show. Take for example “The Steerage” and the fact that the photographer had to run and get his camera below the deck of the ship and luckily he returned to the same image he had seen and was able to take the picture without a problem. SO all in all the three exhibit all had different appeals but they all had significance.