Marielos Osorio-The style of Dutch 17th and 18th Century sill life painting

The style of Dutch 17th and 18th Century sill life painting has many components. What I can observe are the complementary colors. The paintings have colors like green and red or blue and orange. These combinations make the painting look balance and simple. The amount of detail inside these paintings is tremendous. I can see the metaphor between life and death on this style. For instance: the insects around the fruit that represent death and the fruit represents life. It is clear that the fruit is still healthy, but soon it would die.

The photographer Hector Rene Membreno-Canales uses the style of Dutch still life to make a point on today’s society. This message is very direct. The placed fruits, and wine with guns and smoke masks. He directly linked the two opposite ideas into one composition. It is clear that he is referring to life and death. Fruit represents life and guns represent death. The color pallet he used was complementary colors. Also, we cam conclude that in other to survive we need to fight and he represented that in these pictures.

One thought on “Marielos Osorio-The style of Dutch 17th and 18th Century sill life painting

1. rmichals

You describe the style of Dutch still life painting well. Why do you think Hector Rene Membreno-Canales uses this style? You state that the photograph conveys the idea that in order to survive we need to fight but I would suggest that the still life represents more than survival. I think it represents luxury. The weaponry is necessary to protect luxury and privilege.