Academic Examples

“Not all those who wander are always lost” is a quote of J.R.R. Tolkien that I can relate to on many levels. I refer to this quote when thinking about others as well as myself. You might not see someone’s path, but they could. In their minds they know exactly what they want and how to get to it. As obscure as their choices may seem to you, the ends justifies the means.

This photo was so perfect for this quote I barely had to edit it. It seems to represent two universes, the universe of the observer and the universe of the kids. To someone observing, all they see are their sneakers which could be see as the steps and choices someone has made. On the other hand in their own universe, the kids exist fully aware of their own choices and paths. Sometimes you just have to stand back and let someone hold their own reigns.

From the quote I was stuck on the word ‘Lost’. Just like the first image, I decided to present two levels, the obvious one that you see and the one hiding behind. In the foreground I placed most of the quote but I took the last word ‘Lost’ and placed it in the back. I enlarged it to fit most of the space to get a put emphasis on it. It’s often used to convey uncertainty or confusion but to me it more like being lost in your world. You ignore everyone else and focus on yourself. I wanted to keep some grey from the first piece so I used it for the word ‘Lost ‘except for the letter ‘o’. The red in the ‘o’ is supposed be empowering. It’s goes with the quote to inspire to do your own thing. I chose this purple for this background to go along with the red. It doesn’t fight and overpower the red. As well as it doesn’t blend with it too much. It’s a perfect companion in my opinion.