Learning Self-Analysis

My clinical site during the fall 2015 NUR 4010 Community Health Nursing was at the Stein Senior Center. At the Stein Senior Center, my skills as a professional grew and I became more knowledgeable of the responsibilities as a community health nurse. At the center, I participated in various activities and also assessed the needs of the community in which the center was located. I learned how to communicate with the diverse staff and seniors that attended the center and collaborate with my colleagues. This narrative self-reflection is a summary of my experience at the Stein Senior Center that helped me grow and gain knowledge as a professional.

Objective #1: Demonstrates individual professionalism through personal behaviors and appearance.

At the Stein Senior Center, I demonstrated professionalism by attending clinical on time and wearing clean, appropriate attire. When I attended the center, I was prepared for the activities of the day by bringing the necessary tools needed such as a stethoscope, sphygmomanometer, pen, notepad, and a smile. When I first arrived to the center, I introduced myself to the staff and the seniors that attended the center. When I performed blood pressure screenings, I maintained client confidentiality and explained to the senior if their blood pressure was within normal or abnormal ranges.

Objective #2: Employ analytical reasoning and critical thinking skills when providing care to individuals and families in the community setting.

At the Stein Senior Center, I employed analytical reasoning and critical thinking skills when providing care when performing blood pressure screenings. When performing blood pressure screenings, I would ask the client’s usual blood pressure to have an idea of what the average blood pressure of the client is. Any alarming blood pressure ratings were to be reported to my professor and if needed, medical care would be provided. Analytical reasoning and critical thinking skills were also employed when preparing for the fall health fair my colleagues and I put together. I thought of ways to promote the health fair to the community and what services the community needed most. The health fair was based on services the community needed.

Objective #3: Effectively communicate with diverse groups and disciplines using a variety of strategies regarding the health needs of individuals and families in the community setting.

At the Stein Senior Center, I effectively communicated with diverse groups and disciplines using a variety of strategies. When I communicated with the clients at the Stein Senior Center, I used a medium tone of voice and used eye contact. I also used simple vocabulary when teaching clients about their blood pressure and answering any questions they had. I also effectively communicated with my colleagues, professor, and staff at the Stein Senior Center. I communicated with diverse groups at the Stein Senior Center by speaking Spanish to the Hispanic clients that spoke Spanish. One of the staff members at the Stein Senior Center also spoke both English and Spanish, so I communicated with him in both languages. At the Stein Senior Center we also held a Fall Health Fair, in which I effectively communicated with the various vendors that attended the health fair by introducing myself and welcoming them to the center. I also communicated with the clients that attended the health fair by helping them look for services that they needed such as home care or health insurances.

Objective #4: Establish environment conducive to learning and use a plan for learners based on evidence-based practice.

At the Stein Senior Center, I was able to establish an environment conducive to learning by becoming familiar with the community and the center. I also got to know the staff and the clients that attend the center and participated in as many activities at the center as possible. Activities I participated in were strengthening exercises, blood pressure screenings, helping in the dining room during lunch time, and managing the health fair my colleagues and I put together. To promote learning, my classmates and I planned a health fair. The clients at the center were able to directly speak with a representative from each company and gather information on services they offered. Also if the clients felt that the services offered were services they needed, they signed up for the service in that moment. The outcome of the health fair was a success. Many of the clients that attended the fair received needed services such as blood pressure screenings and dental screenings. Having these services performed promoted clients to learn about their health and services to maintain their health.

Objective #5: Utilize informational technology when managing individual and families in the community.

At the Stein Senior Center, informational technology was utilized to assess the community. I utilized reliable online websites such as census.gov to gather information on the community where the center was located. Information such as demographics, environmental concerns, patterns of morbidity and mortality, and public services were found to assess the needs of the clients at the center. With this information, my classmates and I were able to put together a health fair to address and provide the clients with information on services offered in the community.

Objective #6: Demonstrate a commitment to professional development.

At the Stein Senior Center, I demonstrated a commitment to professional development by being actively involved in the activities at the center and being actively involved in the health fair my classmates and I put together. I also attended the center on time and prepared. At the center, I volunteered in as many activities as I could and when help was needed. When planning for the health fair, my colleagues and I walked around the community to assess the community and public services available for the clients at the center. I also contacted the media by phone and e-mail to promote the health fair and advertise the health fair so people in the community can attend. The activities I performed at the center aided in my professional development.

Objective #7: Incorporate professional nursing standards and accountability into practice.

At the Stein Senior Center, I incorporated professional nursing standards and accountability by using the nursing process to address the needs of the community and preparing a health fair with my colleagues. An assessment of the community was done to assess the needs of the community, next my colleagues and I diagnosed the major problems in the community, then we planned to provide services and information to the community by setting up a health fair and also determined our goals. Once planning the health fair was done, we implemented our plan by holding the health fair. Lastly, we evaluated the outcomes of the health fair which were successful. I also incorporated professional nursing standards by complying with the center’s policies and being aware of the center’s goals. When interacting and speaking with the client’s at the center and the staff, I treated everyone with respect and always introduced myself.

Objective #8: Collaborate with clients, significant support persons and members of the health care team.

At the Stein Senior Center, I collaborated with clients, significant support persons and members of the center. I collaborated with my colleagues, professor, and the staff at the center to plan the fall health fair. We divided responsibilities amongst each other to successfully plan a health fair. My colleagues and I collaborated with various vendors to attend the health fair and provide information regarding services to the clients attending the health fair. I collaborated with editors from newspapers to promote and advertise the event in their newspapers and/or online website. I also collaborated with the staff when helping in the dining room during lunch to provide meals to all the seniors.

Objective #9: Recognize the impact of economic, political, social, and demographic forces that affect the delivery of health care services.

At the Stein Senior Center, I was able to recognize the impact of economic, political, social, and demographic forces that affect the delivery of health care services by assessing the community where the center is located. When assessing the community, the median household income of the community was about $95,000 a year which makes it a very expensive community to live in. Also with the median income being high, most members of the community will not qualify for health insurances provided by the government. The people living in the community may have to pay for health insurance or pay for health care services. The poverty level in the community is low, therefore members may not qualify for any free services in regard to care.

Summary:

When I first arrived to the Stein Senior Center, I did not know what to expect of the center. After I met my colleagues, my professor, and the staff at the Stein Senior Center, I felt welcomed and was excited for the activities at the Stein Senior Center. Our main goal at the center was to have a successful fall health fair to address the needs of the community. Our group leader did an excellent dividing the responsibilities of planning for the health fair and my colleagues did a great job accomplishing their individual tasks. Overall the planning for the health fair was a success and my colleagues and I were very proud of our hard work. Senator Brad Hoylman made an appearance at the center and two representative from Rosie Mendez also made an appearance. In our health fair about 20 companies participated. As a professional, I learned about the importance and success of team work, collaboration, and communication. It was a very rewarding and great experience at the center.