OpenLab Challenge: What do today’s medical tools say about ‘us’?

On 2/3/15 in class, we explored modern medical tools in order to better understand our own culture of medicine.  While one class may have spent more time with the images than the other, you have been asked to contribute to a discussion about class activity on that day. (The activity involving pictures).

Please respond to one or both of the following questions:

What do our modern medical tools tell us about our culture of medicine and healing? If we were ethnopharmacologists, how might these tools inform us about today’s world and how health is viewed in the U.S.?

Think about a setting that you are in everyday.  Now, think about some of the ideas and concepts that came up in our class discussion  2/3.  What setting in your life might you want to incorporate what you have (and will) learn about Health Psychology?  In what setting would you like to emphasize or talk about health? And, why? (setting could include home, work, school, a different class, among a group of friends, a club you are a member of, or even a new setting that you think could benefit from a discussion about health)

You are being asked to submit your answers below NO LATER than February 12th, 2015

51 thoughts on “OpenLab Challenge: What do today’s medical tools say about ‘us’?

1. Jenn

What setting in your life might you want to incorporate what you have (and will) learn about Health Psychology? In what setting would you like to emphasize or talk about health? And, why?

I would love to implement anything and everything that I have and will learn about Health Psychology in my community, which consists mostly of the Hispanic culture. I have a big family and being part of that culture myself, I know the struggles of living a healthy lifestyle. I also work for NY Presbyterian Hospital on 168th street, Washington Heights, which just based on me telling the location it is safe to assume that over 70% percent of our patients are Hispanics from the community. Hosting informational events to promote better eating habits to prevent obesity, educating the community on preventable diseases and ways to continue prevention. As well as creating support groups accessible to the lower income people to broaden their knowledge on many mental diseases and how to try to prevent them. The key goal will be to educate this culture and encourage them to have a healthier lifestyle or to break the behavioral patterns that will lead them to these preventable diseases. Overall enhancing the quality of life of the individuals and adding longevity to their life.

1. AAlmond Post author

This is an excellent application. You have the power to inform many. In a documentary I watched (some of) last night on PBS “African Americans: Many Rivers to Cross” they spoke about liberating the mind as being important as liberating the body. This resonates in your comments.

2. benny

The setting that i would like to incorporate from what i have learnt in health Psychology is my home. My mother, Father and brother all have high blood pressure. And my mother seem to believe that it runs in the family. But as it was discussed in class it may not be that it runs in the family but rather the lack of exercise in the family. it has got me thinking a lot about this illness that both my parents and brother have. They lack exercise which is a major issue because they hardly do any form of exercise. From what i have learnt in class the quality of life and spirituality all counts towards our wellness. So exercising everyday and eating healthy can prevent certain diseases and also prolong our lives. I have decided to educate my parents about the importance of exercising and eating healthy. i jog every morning which has become part of my daily routine for years, and i have not showed any signs of blood pressure which suggest that it does not run in my family but rather the lack of exercise that my family fails to do.

1. AAlmond Post author

Thanks for sharing a bit about your personal side. This sounds inspiring. You will be sure to learn more about behavior change as we work on the LiveWell program (I’ll say more in class on Tuesday). This was great to read.

3. Chamirah Farley, RN

As a Healthcare Provider, I identify myself as a role model. I believe in order to employ and emphasize change of behavior with others its pivotal to begin on the most basic level, “the self”. I think we all have the power to make a difference in the lives of others but that is after self assessment/awareness has transpired. I truly dont think I should encourage and promote things amongst others that I truly dont follow and believe. But I constantly share information that I become aware of with my family and peers. Overall, I think the most feasible approach is encourage idea/concepts on a micro level before moving on to a larger scale.

1. AAlmond Post author

Thanks– great thoughts here. There is a saying “the personal is political”. You speak to the importance of authenticity and that what affects one on a personal level is sure to affect the others in their immediate (and often distant) surroundings.

4. daniel quiles

the setting i would like to use is ,my grandparents house. both of my grandparent have diabetes and both struggle to maintain staying healthy. they are always telling me that i should take care of myself because im at high risk of getting diabetes. but i recently learned in my class that ” diabetes dont run in your family , its probably you don’t run” . i was really disappointed to learned this because it gives me a different view on how doctors address a patient , they make it seem that there is no escaping because of your family. doctors should encourage a healthy lifestyle without bringing up the fact the family has diabetes , i feel like when a doctors gives you the news that you are at high risk because it runs in your family , it becomes harder to live a better lifestyle.
    – or they should at least go about explaining it the correct away , because in class we had alot confused students thinking that health issue such as diabetes is hereditary when its not. that just shows that alot of doctor don’t use the right approach.
    – my point does not cover a sickness that is proven hereditary , such has ALS

*spell checked the second time and added somthing*

1. AAlmond Post author

Great points made! There are certainly illnesses related to heredity, but doctors should empower patients by emphasizing things that are within one’s control— like healthy behaviors. Very nice discussion comment!

5. kareshma

Our modern medical tools today tell us that we’ve definitely advanced in the medical field. Compared to statistics from different countries, and from back in the days, medical equipment used today are more improved and allow better treatments, better health conditions, and even decreases many risks that would cause someone to become un-healthy. Doctors are able to treat patients better today, and able to give early warnings on any possible health risks that may arise in the future. If we were ethnopharmacologists, today’s medicines and healings would inform us that we’ve become more advanced and improved in the field of medicine. It would also tell us that the US is at the top of medicine advancement.

1. AAlmond Post author

Thanks. Here is something to think about— has technology left us treating risks instead of treating illness? Or even treating people? It seems that today we treat risk for an illness the same way we would treat the illness itself. Thoughts?

6. shenelle

Our modern medical tools tell us that we heavily depend on technology for answers and cures. In the eyes of an ethnopharmacologist, our culture would seem to value medical drugs and technology over the use of home remedies.

7. Rpalma89

1.The medical tools used not to treat our society has shown how much knowledge we have gained within the medical field. It also shows how much disease we as humanity have gained as well. The tools needed now have more of a purpose then before. We as humanity have produced tools that will benefit all different ages. It also has displayed that we are more concerned with societies well being and finding the causes of all diseases that hurt us. Society is more outspoken now about what we are diagnosed with and demanding change and research in order to overcome their health issues.

2.I would like to incorporate what I learn in health psychology within my home and my circle of friends. I always have loved teaching people different things or informing them of certain subjects they are not aware of. I would definitely would like to speak about weight management within my family and within my social groups because i feel that is such as important factor within society now. I do feel because of all the health issues that comes from being overweight, People tend to close their eyes and ignore it because they are afraid of change or afraid to admit they are overweight. I would like to People to feel confident in what they are learning and confident to lose weight and continue too!

8. matty65

If persons from the future or from a more advanced culture could examine our medical practices and tools I think they would be very optimistic about our future as a society. Our tools display that we are innovative, creative and pretty damn smart. In the last 60 years we’ve made quantum leaps in the field of medicine. We can view the insides of our bodies on a television screen and, eradicate viral infections (small pox, measles). We routinely preform surgeries through several small lacerations as opposed to a large gaping incision and, there’s pretty much a pill for whatever ails you. As optimistic as they might be about our future, it would also be obvious that we have a long way to go. As good as our medicine is, many of our treatment are quite destructive (chemo-therapy). In addition there is still an awful lot that we don’t know about certain parts of the body such as the brain. Also, as good as our medicine might be, what good is it if it’s not available to everyone?

9. Kar Lee

The setting I would like to talk about is at my uncle’s apartment around afternoon time. One day, someone called me and it was my aunt that my uncle fainted so I came over to my uncle apartment. We called the ambulance and send directly to the hospital for help. The doctor takes my uncle to the emergency room and then the doctor told me that it was a diabetes was bothering him. It was something he forgot to take the medicine or he likes to eat very sweet food all the times. Many things affect when it comes to older people because my uncle never like to walk long distance or run for half an hour exercise. Sometimes, I ask my uncle that lets go food shopping and cook something at his house for fun but he denied me. He always like to stay home after retirement start and let my aunt go buy food shopping. All my family told my uncle that if you want to feel better and want to be healthy, you better start doing exercise and eat healthy food daily routine for every year you can survive. Also have a checkup each month to the doctor and maintain the level of number where they should be.

10. Li

I am a new immigrant who came from China five years ago. As a nursing student, I noticed that people from different cultures having different concepts of diseases and a lot of them are related to psychology. For example, Asian minority groups like Korean Americans and Chinese Americans have low tendency for seeking mental health services. This situation may cause delay in treatment and more severe mental illness. Asian Americans always consider signs and symptoms as mental illness and seek professional help only when they are more disruptive and may cause physical threat to others. Moreover, by the profound influence of Confucian philosophy, Korean Americans and Chinese Americans see mental illness as a shame not only to themselves but also other family members. It will prevent them from seeking mental health care because they don’t want other people to judge them. The knowledge of Health Psychology can be used to adjust existing interventions and make them more culturally appropriate.

11. Jean Schatz

Our culture of medicine and healing is very technologically advanced. As you can see from the tools we use, we spend a lot of money on advancing our medical techniques and medical research. Our medical practices are more modern than other countries. Ethnopharmacologists study ethnic groups and their use of drugs. It is distinctly linked to plant use, as this is the main source of pharmaceuticals in these cultures. If we were ethnopharmacologists, the tools that modern America uses would inform us that health is a main priority of Americans. America has revolutionized medicine and has come up with medical tools that helps everyone. I believe we would be amazed at some of the medical tools that help the disabled lead a normal life such as wheelchairs, scooters, prosthetic legs and computerized hands that work upon our brain waves.

12. Chander Raj

Health is a very big concern in our society, and it should be. Health related technology has made a lot of major advancements till date and I believe it will be so in the future. But at the same time we must not forget that every technology has a stepping stone and are cultivated from our past cultures. In today’s world, we have cures and medications to things that were considered “demonic” and “witchcraft” in early ages and we should be very grateful to those who spent their entire life so that we may have a chance at a better life. If I was a ethnopharmacologist then I could clearly see that America’s main focus, from the beginning of healthcare, has been health related issues. We are equipped with advance health technology that can help most of the illness that we see in today’s world. If a future generation had to look back into our generation, they could clearly see how much importance has been given to health related issues, not only for American but all around the world.

13. Emmauel Acheampong

Due to modern technological advancement, most healthcare systems and organizations are undergoing revolutionary changes of concentrating on health awareness and promotion, eradication and prevention of diseases.
    Relatively, state of the art diagnostic tools and devices like MRI and CT are being used to promptly identify and treat disorders and abnormalities. Images and information which are provided by these sophisticated machines are significantly helping in the early detection of diseases such as breast cancer, comprehensive treatment , prognosis and recovery of patients.
    Evidently, one can argue that, today’s medicare facilities are now being furnished with ” robots” which are used in simple and complicated cases. This is helping in the reduction of hospital stays, outdated procedures and waiting periods.
    Without any doubt, the advent of modern tools and the culture of medicine and healing present a new face of healthcare where the identification and treatment of disease, prognosis and recovery of patients heavily depend on computerized algorithms. It must be emphasized that, new frontiers and opportunities also being opened in the medical fields. However, there are also challenges and costs which are imbued with these developments.
    In spite of the research and technological developments, it is logical to say that, healthcare in US is a privilege but not a right for the following reasons.
    1) The cost of healthcare is expensive as compared to other developed nations like Britain where the governments are sole providers.
    2) The system is operated by private insurance companies which are profit oriented thereby charging exorbitant prices for medical services.
    Finally, majority of low income earners do not consider healthcare as a commodity of necessity, but rather as a luxury thereby resorting to unhealthy practices and norms.

14. Alla Polisskaya

What do our modern medical tools tell us about our culture of medicine and healing? If we were ethnopharmacologists, how might these tools inform us about today’s world and how health is viewed in the U.S.?

In the U.S. today, most doctors view patients the way mechanics view cars. They diagnose what is physically malfunctioning, attempt to correct the problem, and do their best to make a profit along the way. This makes sense: in the U.S., medicine is a business. Doctors are not rewarded for saving lives, improving quality of life, or getting to know the patient on a deeper level to improve both quality of care and that patient’s chances at survival. The medical system is a factory, churning out patients barely passable through QA until the next problem arises.

Who gets quality healthcare? Those that can afford to pay the doctor directly. If the patient can cover the costs the doctor otherwise incurs by spending “unnecessary” time with them, the doctor does a better job, the patient gets better treatment, and everyone walks away happy. Those who cannot afford this arrangement – a shift in the U.S. in favor of concierge medicine – continue to visit clinics and wait hours for their 15 minute appointment during which they are prodded, poked, examined, checked, and prescribed to – but rarely spoken to except for the bare necessities.

This is what our tools tell an observer about the U.S. Medical system. Our tools aim to diagnose efficiently with little to no regard to the patient’s comfort. That freezing cold stethoscope doesn’t do much to create a relaxed, trusting atmosphere, does it? Sonograms are hardly a pleasant experience, either.

15. iespinoza

Answer to question #1
    The vast and diverse tools used in today’s health care can easily drive one to make contrasting conjectures. Honestly, the first thing that crossed my mind was to suddenly understand how sick our society is nowadays. Thus, the different existing medical tools, treatments, alternatives, etc. are constantly being studied or tested for improvement; thankfully many of these have been greatly reinforced. Although this shows that the advances made in our current health care system are indisputable superior when compared to other time periods and to underdeveloped countries, I have the notion that while in some medicine fields significant progress are being made, our culture of medicine still faces substantial challenges even when well stablished treatments/alternatives are available.
    If I were an ethnopharmacologist I would question the effectiveness of the approach that our medical system has been taking to currently address the so many illnesses that just keep on spreading. Since before the world did not counted with the modern drugs and medical tools that prevail today and mostly relied in fewer medical alternatives like the traditional medicine and yet, I might be wrong, but I believe that the public health was not declining as much as it is today.

16. Nawang N. Sherpa

I would consider myself as an example for this OpenLab “Challenge”. I would consider myself a healthy man, but there are times when I feel restless as my body aches particularly my back and also sometimes I have deep concern about my own health as I have headaches.

Most of the times, I wouldn’t bother to go to the doctor as I feel okay the next day. Other times, I also think I have such problem due to the heredity as both of my parents complain about back aches and headaches sometimes. However, during my periodic visit to doctor I ask questions about the symptoms and I always get a positive feedback that I have nothing to get worried about.

Now, I clearly think that my health problems are not because of the heredity. I am aware that I have such problems due to unhealthy behavior of life style that I have such as sleeping late at night, waking up late during the day, spending a lot of time on virtual games to name a few.

I would definitely integrate my learning from Health Psychology class in my life style to make sure that I change my behavior in a way which will not jeopardize my health. I will also try to reach out to other people about my personal experience with positive changes that I will acquire from the implementation of learning at Health Psychology class.

17. Ashley Golden

We have truly come a long way when it comes to our culture of medicine and healing. In class when we try to figure out the instruments that was used, it was slightly difficult. But because we have so much knowledge and a better understanding of what’s used to help treat certain illnesses, we eventually guessed what the object was. My point, I can only imagine how difficult it was for people hundreds of years ago try to figure it out while not having as much knowledge and understanding as other experts do in the year 2015. As the years go by I can only imagine what cures will be available or new treatments that will surface. Its actually quite exciting.

18. Henry M.

Our modern medical tools tells us that we are more advance in medicine and healing. If we compare our modern medicine to the medicine in the past, we would say the modern medicine is better because as time passes, medicine would become advance. For example, certain diseases were hard to cure, but now there are treatments to cure or prevent the disease. Another example is surgery, surgery death percentages decreases when surgical treatments becomes advance. Sometimes advance medicine is not necessary for treatments. There are traditional medicine like Chinese acupuncture and herbal medicine. There are people in the present time who goes to acupuncture treatments and people who takes herbal medicine when they are sick or to have better health.

19. Altenor

What our modern medical tools tell us about our culture of medicine and healing, well at least I can say that regardless of what I see at Montefiore Medical Center, especially at the Emergency Room where I work as a patient care technician. That is the importance of one of the modern medical tools , which is an oxygen tank. This vital, appropriate breathing tool is used to deliver and regulate supplemental oxygen to patients or people to improve their difficulty breathing conditions. It also requires oxygen for diseases such as lung cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary, cystic fibrosis, and even for those who have short of breath problem. If we were ethnopharmacologists, this particular oxygen tank tool among our modern medical tools might inform us about today’s world as ” life saver for humanity.” About improving health, of course, in today’s world, U.S has become the top country whose health is priority concern for everyone.

20. Isaac D. O

Q#1
    Our culture of medicine and healing is more advanced, more effective and most costly than ever due to the emergence of modern medical tools which also indicate that our culture of medicine and and healing is complicated now than before.
    I believe that health professionals and laypersons alike to equate modern medical tools with better quality health care at possible lowest cost. Due to this ideal of quality health care, our culture of medicine and healing has been transformed by scientific and technological improvement in research, information gathering, communication, diagnosis and treatment of patients and has given medical providers new ways to practice medicine. My job as a surgical technician has exposed me to a lot of these state of the art sophisticated medical tools used in health care that save lives, improve health and contribute to sustainable healthcare. Just to mention a few, the Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator is a small device implanted for those at risk of sudden cardiac death, heart attack or heart failure which gives 95% chance of surviving a
    cardiac arrest, compare to only 5 % without the implantable device. Again, most heavy surgical produces are no longer problematic with the advent of surgical tools and equipment such as the Morcellator, General Robotic Surgical tools, and endoscopic scopes that enhances minimally invasive surgical procedures and efficient recovery time of around a month instead a year for older procedures.
    Unfortunately, I have a believe that the use of modern technology in routine treatment sometimes proves futile or even harmful in that, they rather treat risk instead of treating illness compare to the traditional way of using herbs for treatment. The leading causes of deaths in our societies are the same illnesses that technology seems to treat. the more sophisticated they become the more chronic and complicated the diseases also become due to their side effect. The system is too expensive and favors only those with good health insurance moreover Physicians sometimes request unnecessary tests or treatments in order to avoid medico legal liability for a missed treatment or diagnosis opportunity.
    In conclusion, I must say that medical tools are there to keep life going and blur distinctions between life and death for indeterminate period.

21. donna myriel

I would use all the concepts and ideas I learnt in health psychology at home, Because my father is diabetic and I myself also suffer from a chronic illness. I think it is very important to know a lot about your health and not always rely on doctors. From my experience the doctors I see often throughout the year can’t seem to explain my illness so to them they think it’s more of a genetic factor or my symptoms are a ghost since they cannot connect it to any other illnesses. If you rely too much on a doctor it can be very disappointing, but to have outside sources and other forms information to educate myself, such as this class, I think it motivates me to incorporate a lot of what I learn in my everyday lifestyle and hopefully find ways to better my health and hopefully educate my father more on how to take control of his diabetes

22. Keven Deng

Our modern medical tools tells us that our culture of medicine and healing is generally more advanced compared to other nations that we have machinery people deal with everyday health problems. Such examples range from things such as a simple machine that allows someone to test their blood pressure to such machines that help someone who has trouble breathing. Concerning how the United States health is viewed in today’s world if we were enthnopharmacologists is that we have become so dependent on modern medicine and health technology. Such examples is that whenever I get flu that last longer then one day I usually find myself going to see the doctor where they perform the usual test and questions even though I tell that I’am sick. Only to receive a prescription for medicine that you can pick up at a local pharmarcy by yourself without having to visit a doctor. The reason for this is because seemingly living in the United States what is drilled into our mind is that doctor generally will help cure you of your ails and for some reason we believe that is true when in reality it is not always the case.

23. thierno

Coming from a culture which lack proper knowledge on mental issues such as depression and anxiety , i will invest myself on raising awareness about those issues in my community. Most people in my community doesn’t recognize mental illness and doesn’t take them seriously. i plan to draw attention of my community to the reality and negative effects of mental problems into people’s well-being. I hope that after coming to the realization about the issues, we as a community can step up and provide adequate support to the people who silently suffering from mental illnesses.

24. A. Cynthia Parvinn

Our modern medical tools today signify how much research and technology has gone into the health-care related field over the last century. Today hospitals are filled with machines that monitor or view parts of the human body. EKG, MRI, CT, X-ray, and ultrasound machines, to name a few, have been developed to not only see what the human eye cannot but also to asses and diagnosis abnormalities and confirm normal function as a proactive and precautionary measures. If we were ethnopharmacologists, we would probably look down upon modern medicine as traditional medicine focuses on organic and holistic practices that are almost a direct opposite of what modern medicine is today. In the modern medical field, drugs are complex compounds designed to alter human physiology and machines are high-tech objects that are designed to observe and analyze things that could not be seen prior to their inventions. Health and medicine in the U.S. and much around the world is viewed as science today, a field that requires years of training and practice with specialized tools and equipment’s. While shamans, dulas, and other various traditional medicine men and women also are required to go through extensive training within their particular communities, their training and practice is significantly different than what modern medicine requires and believes.

My first Bachelor’s degree is in Child and Adolescent Development and thus people from birth to twenty-two hold a special place in my. I think it is imperative that health education take place from pre-school onwards, keeping developmentally appropriate education in mind. From teaching about nutrition, well balanced diets, and exercise, sexual and reproductive health to certain predisposed health conditions – it is important to start the acknowledgement, education, and understanding from a young age. If conducted properly, children and teens can grow into well-rounded and well versed adults that are able to impart the same wisdom on to their children and those in their community.

1. A. Cynthia Parvinn

Professor Almond,

My apologies, there are a few errors in my writing that I had overlooked when proofreading before submitting my discussion. The corrections are:

– Third sentence, first paragraph: the word “a” should be omitted before “proactive”
      – Sixth sentence, first paragraph: it should be “equipment” not “equipment’s”
      – First sentence, second paragraph: The word “heart” should follow after “my”

25. Taurey

Health is viewed in America as financial opportunity. Health is biggest opportunity to mass produce a tool to be used on preserving life. There is so much of everything. If I was an ethno-pharmacologist, I would look at our or tools and think, why did they make this piece of equipment if we as humans are supposed to live healthy lives in efforts to exist as long as possible. Our tools would show that as Americans we are a very unhealthy population of people and we had the means to cure most of our illnesses but if we kept everyone healthy no one would die. Human life & death is what fuels the production of the tools. Our tools would show that we have stepped away from a natural process and adopted a very mechanical and artificial way of dealing with illnesses, trauma, physical and mental hardships
    I would like to incorporate my work. I work with people from all over the world and all walks of life. The company’s saying is “If you have a body you are an athlete”. This inspires people to live a healthy life as top athlete is preserved to live. Our conversation about mental health specifically pertaining to the video we watched of the two women with MS is a subject that comes up every day. Your thoughts effect your emotions your emotions have a direct effect on your actions and your actions mold you as a (healthy) person. Its inside mental and it starts inside. Knowing this I feel I could motivate people in different ways to become better healthier athletes.

26. Dherrera

I thinks that our current medical technology has come along way since our prehistoric ancestors. It speaks volumes on how we care for the ill, handicap and illustrates how dependable we’ve become of it. For example, lets assume that a person has never seen a wheelchair or even more complex an MRI machine. This person might have difficulties understanding the complexity of the MRI machine or its purpose, but would be able to figure out the purpose of a wheelchair and understand that this device is meant to transport the ill or handicap. Along with technological advances come risk. Today more than ever our culture has become addicted or obsessed with medicine and medical equipment that can some times give inaccurate results due to malfunction or operator error. These results have a direct impact on the health of a person in a negative way, which can make matters worse.

27. Keila Gordon

Our modern medical tools have improved tremendously. We can infer our culture will just continue to improve in the medical field. People who have lost legs are given the opportunity to walk, people with failing hearts are still given a chance, and the mobility of people who are physically disabled is fascinating. In todays the world, the discoveries that are made in the world of health are expanding. Health is viewed as a very important factor in the U.S. No matter who we are or what “race” we appear to be, everyone will undergo a health problem. Whether it’s a small cold or a massive heart attack, its undeniable that we all will need medical assistant at one point in our lives. As ethnopharmacologist we would be able to use these tools to our advantage. These tools will provide us with time and answers. Time that we will need to research and answers to the situations we are unattained too. These tools can help us uncover new diseases and health problems, along with preventing and curing them.

28. Milka Ng

One thing I want to mention on medical tools is those online clinic, or those online data base such as “symptom checker”. Our medical tools have improved so much in these couple decades; and seems like we are overly depend on it. As the internet’s impact growth, we tend to search everything while we have question. In my opinion, illness is highly correlated to mental health. One of my girlfriend broke up with her boyfriend recently, she is really sad but seems doing okay. She doesn’t experience big trouble on eating or sleeping (around 4-5 hours a day, which is her daily routine). Not long after that, she needs to do a project on psychology so she does a little research on some mental illness such as depression and anxiety. She look through some of the symptoms and think ” That’s so me! I have depression and anxiety!”
    So she texts me about what she found and keep repeating “OMG OMG I have this I have that…” I try to calm her down but it doesn’t work. At that night, she experience a big trouble on eating and sleeping due to her worries on getting mental illness.
    She is not the first one who did this is in my social network. Some of my friend search their symptoms online and find out it match to some serious illness; but when they go to the doctor’s office, the result comes out show that they only get a little or something. When they know about the result, they feel “instantly better”. It shows that our mental though does matter on our physical health, and also prove that it’s very important to control these kind of online data base. They are very convenient, but not a reliable source. Since more and more people is depending on these website, there is a need to let them take the responsibility. Other wise people could not get a proper treatment and their illness would just get worse.

29. Mdelie16

What setting in your life might you want to incorporate what you have (and will) learn about Health Psychology? In what setting would you like to emphasize or talk about health? And, why?
    Areas of my life where I would like to incorporate Health Psychology include work, family, and into my own life itself. Before this class, I had no idea what Health psychology was about and what I’ve learned so far has peaked my interest. I’m looking forward to learning more so I can share this knowledge with those around me. I’ve always been a believer in the idea that a person with odds against them has the power to determine their future no matter what the situation. If they can’t change the situation (such as a terminal disease), they can change their perspective and ensure that their journey leads to a greater quality of life. I work at a preschool (ages 1-4) and as a Teacher’s assistant, I think it’s important to teach this idea to the children at this age so they can get into the habit of practicing healthy behaviors throughout their lives. For my family, I would like them to be more knowledgeable about nutrition and exercise. My family has a high prevalence of diabetes and I want them to learn that changing their behaviors such as portion size can make a huge difference in their lives. For myself, I am very open-minded and I look forward to doing the LiveWell modules cause I don’t mind trying new things and experiencing new behaviors myself so I can attest to whether they work or not. When I find something that works, I’ll stick to it and share it with my people. As an RN, I am passionate about educating people in all ways that will improve their quality of life.

30. Noemi

Kids are an important role for the future, I often hear the media talk about kids being over weight or teenage girls trying to be super skinny as the model who they see in the cover of a magazine. Schools can be a place where the topic about health can be spoken about to kids. Eating habits can be changed to the better and of course physical health too. The reason I believe why it should be talked about in schools is because it is where kids eat breakfast, lunch, and participate in sports and teams. More importantly where we can take the time to educate them with being a healthy kid.

31. Sadiquah

Our medical tools tell us many things about our culture of medicine and healing. The Eastern and Western regions of the world treat medical issues differently. Being that we are on the East coast our approach to medicine and healing are to treat with scientifically derived medications. The West coast on the other hand has approached it through natural remedies and complimentary and alternative medicine (CAM). The U.S. has become so dependent on technology and as it grows and expands the health industry also incorporates this expansion as well. Today’s medical tools have become so technologically advanced that almost everything has been computerized or has the option of being computerized. We as a people have become so dependent on these tools that they help detect health issues, treat health issues, as well as prevent health issues. Some of these tools include; sonograms; pacemakers which do the job of the heart when it is incapable of performing certain functions; computerized wheelchairs for disabled or even quadriplegics that are able to control their chairs with their eyes; and many more fascinating and mind boggling tools. I would love to see what our future has in store when it comes to the tools used in healthcare and the advanced technology that would be used to create them.

32. Jibriel

I would like to incorporate the mind body connection into my work and school life. Mind body connection is very essential for staying healthy because when the mind is not at peace most of the time it effects people negatively. I have always agreed that stress can lead to many problems, thinking positive can change a person’s behavior and may actually help a person get better.

33. IrinaF

Our Modern Medical tools tells us that with advanced technology the utilization of proper equipment can help prolong ones life. The improvements from over the years certainly helped treat many conditions that weren’t treatable due to lack of resources that would help heal patients. Now that there are many ways to cure diseases out there that people except that there be an answer for their problems right away. The advancement of medical tools and pharmaceutical products is how much of an upgrade health has become through out the years. When it comes to the setting of health psychology I would like to use it for my everyday life in order to improve my own well being and how I can improve the way I take care of myself as everyday passes by.

34. Rafael

Modern medical tools have been use to help relieve symptoms to certain illness, pains, or troubles. I see the our culture of medicine lacks a certain interested in the better of these illnesses, pains and or troubles. Instead of figuring out what is the real cause, or what alternate lifestyles will help the body and mind, many are prescribe drugs that aren’t really making them better. Many of today’s drugs and medicine have many different side affects, but are recommended to help with other symptoms. As we spoke about in class, doctors assume genetics to the type of illness you’ll have without actually acknowledging the person. As an ethnopharmacologists I will see this to be rather peculiar, thinking about when was it ok to just make all these drugs as medicine and stop connecting humans’ overall well being with medicine and health. Why was marijuana such a big issue and not used in more medical cases? or other types of plants and herbs? I feel like health is viewed as a business in the U.S.

Sorry for the lateness.

35. Sayma

I truly apologize for the late comment.
    I would like to use my family as a reference to the setting. High blood pressure and diabetes runs both in my mother and fathers family. My father lost most of his siblings due of heart attack and stroke. Therefore, both my parents are always worried that they will get it sooner or later, regardless of their healthy lifestyle. It used to worry me too, which is why I always stayed away from unhealthy junk food. But it’s surprising how I learned in class that, diseases have nothing to do with our genetics. The environment has the most affect in our well being more than anything. And I wish doctors in the future would tell their patients the ways of avoiding diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure by choosing a healthy life style, rather than scaring them by saying they’re at high risk because of their family history.

36. dorcas

I will like to use the opportunity to educate my family about the importance of health behaviors. Being black does not automatically mean that we should die of high blood pressure or diabetes. Eating healthy, exercise and sleep can contribute immensely to our health. Education is very important, because this will give us opportunities for better jobs. With good jobs comes better pay, which can help us to have many options and less stress in life. Good job and money determines the type of environment or neighborhood that is available for us to reside. We should help to educate others about the misconception of race and diseases that is attached to race. As a nurse I will also educate my patients about the importance of health behavior change, especially those that have problem with smoking and alcohol cessation.

37. nsubair

What do today’s medical tools say about ‘us’?

Today’s Medical tools say about us, is that we are definitely fortunate in the US than most countries. I also feel that we are more advanced now than what we were years ago as far as technology is concerned.

38. Veronica

If I were an ethnopharmacologist, I believe today’s modern medical tools would be equally beneficial to all ethnic groups because they perform the same functions even on different ethnic people. This is because we all have the same exact parts. I feel our modern medicine has come a long way, although a lot of it is experimental and could have unknown effects later down the line. I think these unknown effects could be due to judging one’s diagnosis just based on the person’s ethnicity resulting in lack of tests. I would interpret these tools as advanced since just a few years ago, our medical technology was much less beneficial. Maybe in the near future we can heal cancer and be able to counteract the improper formation of cells by being able to redevelop individual DNA structure in different minorities.

39. Isilita Arman

Taking the live well evaluations has assisted me in understanding the benefits of living a healthy lifestyle. Healthy lifestyle doesn’t just mean eating right but having confidence and promoting a stress free environment that is conducive to a productive home setting. Health should be a big concern for my family as Alzheimer’s and diabetes is prominent on both sides. With this class I hope to continue to learn about the added benefits of healthy living and use this to improve my family overall stamina and stress levels. Many times we fail to see underlying conditions because we feel diseases could never afflict us. In the coming months I am eager to start a workout regimen for my that we can continue for many years to come.

40. Raz

Id like to incorporate whatever I learned in health psychology into my work setting. Working one on one with a highly functional mentally developed girl, she is always interested in learning about cognitive behaviors about herself and others. We watch documentaries on mental health. I can try to incorporate her thought process to be more aware of her actions and behaviors. To become more independent and responsible. The placebo affect has a major effect on health which expresses importance of a positive attitude. The biomedical model teaches how my clients mental illness cannot define her good health. Factors like her emotions, psychology, spirituality etc. Sigmund freund introduced the connection between mind and body – psychosomatic. I would teach her about quality of life on the wellness model. Someone needs to be an active health influence in her life.

41. Lizet

I think the way we view health in the modern society is in a more complex aspect. Like the use of a microscope lets us see that health isn’t just viewed just vital signs but in a complex aspect like looking a cells and bacteria under a microscope. I think we are aware now that health and medicine is heading to a different approach compared to before. The use of technology has played an important role in improving health and medicine.

As a registered nurse I would like to incorporate what I have learned about health psychology to my fellow nurses. I think being in the health field is interesting to share information with people that can relate to the topic. Overall I can share this with anyone but I think as nurses we can relate more to it than others.

42. alicia

The modern medical tools in our culture tell us that most of health professionals do their best to treat the patients with all the advantage of technology and all different kind of machines that give better quality health care in the way they can give a better diagnose, I think our medical tools give better beneficial in great innovation and help examine or relieve symptoms to certain illness. I think also that the use of modern tools in routine treatments contributes to opportunity to health professionals to do unnecessary tests in order to take advantage of the health insurance so they can get more money. I think all this new modern medical tools have something good and something bad to perform in people lives.

43. Donna Liu

Modern medical tools tell us that our society has evolved so much with growing technology over the years. Certain modern medical tools can make processes faster, more painless, and just an easier way to access over natural remedies which can be harder and slower results. 
If i was a ethnopharmacologist, these tools would inform that at the end of the day if a patient is treated through medical plants or modern medical tools, the end result will be the same. And if the end result is the same then people are going to desire the one with more pros. And the pro in the usage of modern medical tool would be faster results.

Leave a Reply to Alla Polisskaya Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *