In Sickness and in Wealth: Pre-viewing activity

Please answer the following questions below using the reply/comment section:

In the film we are about to watch, a woman-Angelique Anderson-says: “I always wanted to have a house with a big back yard…” Corey adds: “I want to own a house so that if anything happened to me, she wouldn’t be put out on the street.”

• What health benefits might derive from affordable, quality and secure housing?

• How does home ownership (or its lack) affect conditions in your community?

• How easy or difficult is it to find quality, affordable housing in your community?

25 thoughts on “In Sickness and in Wealth: Pre-viewing activity

1. A person with affordable housing may feel less stress, due to better finance management.
    A homeowner might face more stress due to the many bills and responsibilities that come with maintaining a home.
    It is very difficult to find quality, affordable housing in my community. The houses are either too expensive, or too small.

2. There a lot of pros and cons from owning a house, this can have positive and negative health outcomes to individuals. A positive health outcome with having a secure housing is the security knowing that you are safe and that you have a place to live. This can also be negative since there are deadlines to meet, such as paying your mortgage on time. This can be a problem if someone in the household is out of a job or if the person has a lot of debt. This can create a stressful situation that can lead to health issues. Most of the people in my community rent, this causes some people to be stressed and worried since most of the families in my neighborhood are low income families. It is very difficult to find affordable housing in the Bronx since most of the land is already being occupied. There is a new program that gives the opportunity for low income households to participate for affordable housing or apartments on new building, but it is still very hard to meet the requirements that the state has put to qualify for these units. Even if you meet the requirements, this is based on a lottery basics once you apply for the unit decreasing your chances once again.

3. A person with affordable and secure housing might be less stressed since they never really have to worry about being put out or having any housing issues.
    Home ownership comes with many responsibilities thus causing stress and sometimes depression. In my community, homeowners aren’t really seen since everyone there rents their homes and some of the homeowners are kind of just calm.
    It is not really hard to find it since a lot of them are being built in the neighborhood. Also a lot of rallies go on preventing expensive housing.

4. The positive effects of being financially stable are much better than those who do not have the same flexibility because there is less stress involved in terms of having secure and quality housing. This allows the person to have a reliability on his or her home knowing that the living conditions will not change unless something drastic happends. Others who are struggling with late rent payments and eviction notices have more stress and depression because of the situtation. These conditions have a psychology affect everywhere including my community as these issues can literally drive someone insane. Many evictions are common because landlords want more people with money so that they can increase the rent charges, thus putting some families at risk financially. Luckily, the mayor is trying to promote affordable housing around the city to avoid these issues and some illegal actions that have occurred.

5. Home ownership tends to give a sense of security and stability, hence could reduce stress and may motive a person to perform good health behaviors. People that own homes would usually maintain their homes to create beauty and value to the perception of a community while, where ownership lacks even the residents may give a lesser value their own community.

Homes in my community is very expensive because the community has easy access to many amenities and resources. However, the owners and residents take pride in the community.

6. Affordable housing give you the security of living and it also provides the pleasure that you living at your own place. this motivate the people psychologically and also it secure their position in society financially as well.
    The lack of home ownership may give you more stress. when people think they not living on their own place, more often it gives them stress as well as make them upset too. Although you paying the monthly rent still you have the restriction to live in the house.
    It is very hard to find the quality houses because either they are expensive that you can’t support by your income or they will have the restrictions in the number of family members can live in the house.

7. It can be less stressful on an individual. If it’s in the individuals budge the indivual would have to worry about being able to pay rent on time. When you live in quality housing it can help alleviate stress. After coming home from a long day you can kick back and relax.It doesn’t really affect my community. There are tons of apartment buildings.With gentrification taking place the cost of living in my community is going up. Affordable housing isn’t that affordable anymore

8. • What health benefits might derive from affordable, quality and secure housing?
    Affordable and secure housing gives people less stress and some type of mental strength about their living life. The person who has affordable housing don’t worry about the high rent or they don’t have any concentration about the quality of their living.
    If you have a home ownership it may cause you an headache too depends on your job. Like the people who have high paying job can easily handle the mortgage and other bills. But the people who doesn’t have their job guarantee may get hard time to pay their due bills including mortgage.
    It is very difficult to find the quality houses in community because either thy are too expensive to rent or the place you want to move doesn’t have any apartment to rent. The places has more public communications such as bus, train, hospitals etc demands more money to rent a apartment there.

9. What health benefits might derive from affordable, quality and secure housing?

A well-known saying says: “home sweet home” that is the Best way to describes how important own a home is. Benefits are a lot: tranquility, peace, less stress, etc.

Ownership is important, affect us very positively, and give us a Wide variety of opportunities to accommadate our family in a decent way. In the other hand lack of house give us a high level of stress and concerns because paying a high rent or one day be asked to quit the home.

Finding quality and affordable house is very difficult and stressful in this city. Rent is too expensive, you need a high credit score, sometimes owner ask that your salary is 30 times the rent proceso, what is something crazy.

10. • What health benefits might derive from affordable, quality and secure housing?

Home ownership gives a lot of mental security. We all know how important is the mental security in life of every society member. The person, who owns a house has experienced some kind of life stability and greater privacy, thus that may improve the over all health. Costs of houses are predictable and more stable than renting because they’re ideally based on a fixed-rate mortgage. For many people, the ownership of the house is the ultimate life goal, which is able to create secure future. For many people, owning a home is the fulfillment of the American dream.
    There’s pride in homeownership, which also closely ties you to community. Basically, the owner of the house is being seen as a middle or upper class member of society. Thus, that can give a pride to the home owner.
    Now days, is very difficult to find affordable apartment or house. The prices of homes are very skyrocketing. Plus, homeownership is a long-term financial commitment.

11. I used to think when someone buy a house, that person is living a luxury life. to secure the house some owners have to work two jobs. working two jobs and you have no time for your family that can create a lot of stress. the whole family can rip apart because we don’t spend time with one another. once we have children, we are not thinking about ourselves, we are working for them. the children will the beneficiary if anything happen to the owner. It’s difficult to find an affordable house in my community because houses are very expensive and the income is not enough to keep up with all the bill.

12. Affordable, quality, and secure housing can provide security, privacy, and overall peace of mind,Knowing that you own your own property can benefit one psychologically. But owning your own home can either be a stress reliever or cause more stress being that it can cost more than renting, you are in charge of all maintenance fees, and if anything ever happened on your property you are responsible (example someone sues because they had an accident on your property). I live in the Bronx and quality, affordable housing is very hard to find. Not only are the houses small and overpriced, the quality is no good AND in my opinion the community is no better.

13. Having a secure and quality home provides control over a healthy environment such as the air you breathe, control over mold (fungus) and a clean sanitize home ( free of germs, bacteria, virus). Have a secure and affordable home eliminates the stress of feeling dangerous and being able to pay your bills. Living in a dangerous neighborhood and having a constant fear of danger can cause a prolong amount of stress; deteriorating one’s health. Home ownership allows one to have control over their environment. I am very fortunate to live a privilege life; I live in Hollis in which my block and the next block over consist of million dollar houses. My neighbor across the street is a lawyer, my next door neighbor is a doctor but my parents are average middle-class immigrants that just know how to manage their money. I would say it is easy to find quality housing in my community as for affordable, it depends on a person’s income and life- style. However just two blocks down my block is considered an undeveloped dangerous neighborhood (Jamaica Queens). My friend lives in a studio apartment the size of my room and pays $900 monthly rent!

14. The health benefits from having affordable, quality, and secure housing is feeling safe and protected from bad weather, animal, and people. Another benefit is feeling comfortable on sleeping, eating, and relaxing at your house. Not having home ownership can cause stress because of rent. Home ownership affects conditions in my community because it makes it less crowded and more peaceful. It also gives the people the chance to decorate their house to make their community more beautiful. My community has more houses than apartments. It is kind of so-so on finding a quality, affordable housing in my community because transportation in my community is not that great. However, it is still hard to find a good house to live because of overpopulation.

15. When having an affordable and secure housing the health benefit the individual would be facing is not being stress. Many families or head of the household members live stress because they might not have enough money for rent or a mortgage the upcoming month. Therefore, if having a home or apt someone can afford the individual wouldn’t live stress. Lack of home ownership affect the conditions in our community because that means people don’t really want to move into your neighborhood therefore, affecting the community not having people to socialize and also to feel safe. If you live in a lonely neighborhood then if anything happens to your home no one would be there to witness what happened to your home or even worse to you or a family member. It is so difficult to find affordable housing in my community, my parent’s apartment rent goes up every two years therefore, it not adorable at all. Second, trying to find a 2 bedroom apt in Queens and in a “safe ” neighborhood with close transportation and cheap rent is so hard to find now in days. So far gentrification hasn’t hit my community therefore, there are still studios that can be affordable however, I believe there should be some kind of rent control system for buildings that have low income families living in apt. For a landlord to raise the rent once the lease is finish isn’t fair for the family living inside that works so hard to try to at least make a rent payment.

16. Health benefits that might drive from affordable, quality and secure housing would be less stress from trying to find an environment to live in. Also, if your environment is quality meaning your neighborhood is most likely a safer place. That will also decrease your stress level.

A lack of ownership in your community affects its conditions because people tend to take better care of something that belongs to them. If one owns a house they would be more motivated to take care of it because it is theirs. In a community setting there is also pressure to keep your property and your home looking decent. Added, unwanted and unneeded stress might come about if a neighbor were to talk negatively about your property. Being in a community, most people would be motivated to make their houses look presentable which would make for a better community in the end.

In my community, it is very difficult to find affordable housing. Previous to the gentrification in my neighborhood, no one wanted to live there. Houses and apartments were reasonably priced and there was more of a community feel. Where as now, no one spends time outside getting to know their neighbors because of the busy work schedules as well as the electronic devices. As of right now in my neighborhood, the lowest rent for

17. a one bedroom apartment is about 2,500 a month. This all has to do with the gentrification in Brooklyn. A lot of people are moving in from the Midwest and choosing to live close to Manhattan, but not directly in the city. The neighborhood is then getting more expensive and the cost of rent is increasing drastically.

18. The health benefits from owning or affording a house is that you won’t have to deal with renting a house, being always afraid of getting kicked out or lloosing a job and becoming homeless. You can also be stress free form a lot of of problems but can also affect you in a certain way. You may also have to deal with paying the Mortgage, dealing with people your renting not being responsible, damage in the house, making sure you don’t get fines, and etc. Nowadays rent especially in New York City can be very expensive. Rent around my neighborhood can be very high, not including electricity bill, utilities, and other expenses. Lack of homeownership can lead to trash outside of home, bacteria or fungi around the house, ugly garden or backyard, and it could just mess up the apparence of the house.

19. > What health benefits might derive from affordable, quality and secure housing?
    Having affordable, quality and secure housing helps to keep us both mentally and physically constant. A quality and spacious house helps to keep the family relaxed especially when there are big family living in the same place. When the house is secure, you do not have to worry much about your family’s safety when you are away from home. Security also includes quality because when a house is built properly, it is highly likely to be secured. All of these situation helps us from getting too stressed on a regular basis.
    > How does home ownership (or its lack) affect conditions in your community?

Home ownership helps to create a solid bond in my community. This is because most of the people who own homes in my community are Jewish, so they know each other very well and their children grow up together closely. This helps my community to be a very quiet place.
    > How easy or difficult is it to find quality, affordable housing in your community?
    In actual fact, it is not very easy to find quality housing in my community because most of the apartment buildings are very old and certainly need refurbishing, however living in these apartments may be very affordable, because all houses are either too expensive

20. Not being able to live in a place that is of good quality affordable and safe, I feel is every human beings right. If it is not affordable, of quality and safe well… then it is probably deemed unlivable. The person will not be able to continue living there and eventually will be homeless. Not having a place to live is considered a stressful situation to say the least, which can lead to skin rashes, blindness, muteness, stroke and heart attack.
    Home ownership is safer for a neighborhood because you just don’t have transient people in and out around and you don’t know who they are. And history shows in neighborhoods where there are mostly home owners, the neighborhood is safer because they look out for each other because its their property. If something is not right next door it affects the price of your house also. people take care and clean what is their own usually and not someone else’s. Now it is getting more and more difficult to find affordable housing because in society in general I think the plans is to knock out the middle class and make two separate classes the rich and the poor.

21. Health benefits from having an affordable, quality and secure housing consists of less stress.
    Owning a home also brings a lot of stress along with bills and responsibilities.
    In my neighborhood homes are hard to find not a lot of them are not for sale and if a house goes up for sale it is expensive.

22. What health benefits might derive from affordable, quality and secure housing?
    The benifits you may havve from affordable and secure houseing is taht you are playing less monthly. On one side you might have little stress in knowing you can make payments on it but can stress you out if you think about the future. Owning a home is probably one of the best investments you can make due to always having some worth to your name. i was once told by a teacher that it is good to buying a house even if you have to eat the grass of your lawn for lawn for 30 yrs. Owning a home can set up your family in the future starting them with a place to be and hopefully no worry in having to pay for a home. They can later profit of this by either selling or renting it to others in the future. To conclude, i find that renting is great for those who cant buy, but if i have the chance i would defiantly buy which in the future will benefit me more then renting because i would be paying for someting that will never be mine.

23. One of the major health benefits will be less stress that it will have on the owner or owners of the house, also knowing that you have something to pass alone to your children some day. Another is not having to pay rent every month, all you would have to pay is utilities and taxes or people living above you making noise. Owning a home let’s you know you have come far in life, especially if you come from a poor neighborhood. When it comes to home ownership in my community and its affected conditions, i would have to say it doesn’t because some areas are houses and some are apartment buildings everyone gets alone for the most part. The neighborhood has gotten better because a lot of white people have move in but that’s the downside to it, when they move in the rents went up and it is continuing to go up and the community is shifting from being mix, with ever other races, to becoming pleasantville. With the neighborhood changing the houses that we have in the community are not affordable anymore. The prices has double in the past five years and will continue to rise with change that is happening. Will this stop any time soon, i think not.

24. What health benefits might derive from affordable, quality and secure housing?
    less stress, exercising, eating better, more sleep

people don’t have a sense of ownership in a community and therefore wont treat the environment/ community like so. If you own a home you take care of it and make sure the it stays in good shape for you family to continue to live in. You build a sense of pride and pass that down to your children.

Its pretty hard. Only one condo building has been designed and constructed and the rent is high. Other than that it’s pre war building that have been around since the 20’s and 30’s.

25. What health benefits might derive from affordable, quality and secure housing?
    If we have big backyard it give more room for more air quality for us. Also it will give you more room for your kids to play more activity. And it is good for health. If we get clean portable water in our building, it will provide a lot of benefit for your health. With the clean water you don’t need to worry about popular bacteria attack your body.
    Because most of the owner does not want the tenant to damage their property, so they normally do not allow you to use their backyard. For safety reason they don’t want the tenant to leave any extra thing in their basement. For example they not allow you to put your bicycle. So this action will limit your daily exercise.
    It is hard to find quality housing in my community. Because we don’t have much space so we so don’t have enough green space for air quality. Not enough space for parking lot also. So car accident used to occur in my neighborhood.