Richards Ryan Site Report

img_5949 img_5689 img_5543

The block I chose was 42nd St. and seventh Avenue. I chose this block because I noticed there was a chain of diverse stores that were connected, Dave and busters, Applebee’s, and Modells, all were the main/biggest stores on the block. I also noticed the width of the sidewalk, the width of the sidewalk played a major role of setting I stage for the performance in which I felt one of the themes was convenience.
The performance in this area of times square had a number of factors.

The height of the buildings, create a feeling of being surrounded and towered over. The performance it’s self I feel with the people walking up and down the blocks, and in and out of the stores. It was continuous motion on the stage of the wide block and tall buildings. Elsewhere this could potentially be considered typical actions of civilians, however on this specific block on 42nd and sixth Avenue it’s considered a performance because of the atmosphere and stage.

The exact block is 800 feet long, and 200 feet wide. One of the reasons the block was built so large is so that it could be very commercial and busy, there are multiple businesses on the block such as a Hilton hotel, and Applebee’s, at Dave and busters, And A Modell’s sporting goods store all of the stores are there architecturally built connected for reason which I will further research.

The pavement was concrete, but smooth as opposed to the rugged concrete filled with rocks Etc. There were buildings on this block dating back to the 1950s.