When Vinegar hill moved into the nineteenth century, people like Joshua Sands , a speculator and merchant, bought up land and started creating businesses. He imported machines from England and he also brought workers from there. Joshua Sands opened the rope walk industry on the waterfront. In 1801 the U.S. Navy Yard opened their first yard by Wallabout Bay, which became very active in the war of 1812. The first steam ferry came in on 1814 and was traveling from Vinegar Hill to Manhattan and that lasted for a long time, even though they had contradictions here and there. The Village of Brooklyn turned into the Town of Brooklyn in 1816 and it had grown in terms of housing and people. In 1827 different versions of the Hooker’s map came out. Brooklyn had a considerable growth of population during 1830-1840 when the lower Manhattan by the ferry stop became mostly commercial, so people were considering the other stop of the ferry in Vinegar Hill as a short commute. In 1834 Brooklyn changed its status again from Town of Brooklyn to the City of Brooklyn.