Professional Essay

My name is Alicia Scott and I was born in the beautiful island of Trinidad and Tobago. I am married and have three beautiful children ages seventeen, fourteen and five years old. I reside in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn, New York and currently attend New York City College of Technology where am pursuing a Baccalaureate Degree in Human Services.I have a strong compassion to help others and because of this desire decided that I was going to utilize this skill by being a nurse. After numerous attempts to attain a place in the nursing program I finally reconsidered if nursing was actually my purpose.Although I thought this was something I wanted to do I knew that true reward and satisfaction would come when I found purpose in what I am supposed to be doing.So after a lot of prayer and meditation I decided to transfer to the Human Services Program. My first semester in Human Services was last fall and did I have an awakening. First of all I was totally unaware that Human Services was such a diverse field and in my first semester learned that it’s a multifaceted profession with collaboration of various disciplines. As a Human Service Professional you can build a career in so many areas such as Education, Health, Legal Services, Social Work and Advocacy.