Setting Up the Student Show at the Grace Gallery

Images of Taradash’s 3D Design class and Foundation Drawing classes work displayed in the Grace Gallery

This past Monday I spent some hours helping out Prof. Taradash set up her class displays for the Student Show in the Grace Gallery at the school. She has her 2 classes which are Foundation Drawing and 3-D Design. I have helped Taradash set up the student shows for her classes many times before; almost every semester for the past 2 years. I have always had some interest in art curation and direction. It is cool to see what looks good together and what fits in with the show and really what story are we trying to tell here with the pieces on display. I also think that this is a good opportunity for starting out in the gallery world and art direction world.

We had a bit of a time limit however with Monday since I had class at 1 later that afternoon so we met up at about 10. We start out by going through the work for her 3-D Design class. Since it is a pretty small class with only about 10 students, there wasn’t as much to choose from compared to other semesters; regardless still had some great projects to display. We mess around with placement of projects on the table, eliminating, adding, shifting positions of all the projects. It is really about what looks good together and not just about who has the best projects. Once we finalized the set up for the 3-D Design class we moved onto the Foundation Drawing class which would be displayed on one of the gallery walls. Again it was about not just selecting the best work but which of the best work would look the best together. We only had 8 spaces on the wall but we ended up only choosing 7 since one work ran horizontal and took up about 2 spots. It’s very hard to narrow down a body of good work since you want to put everything in there but you simply cannot. I found that being one of the main struggles of art curation and direction. However I was not able to stay for the end of the organization for the Foundation Drawing class but I believe the end result of everything came out very nice.