Learning Journal #5

One of the main projects that will be going on during my internship is collaborating with Prof. Taradash and her former Intern Daniel to revamp Taradash’s website and give it a modern makeover. Daniel and I have been working together to come up with a new elaborate design to Taradash’s website while still having it keep the free flowiness look to the site since Taradash’s sculptures revolve around light and wind. We came up with some concept sketches to show to Taradash and to get her feedback on. With her feedback we are continuously working on coming up with a design that will satisfy everybody and will work. We are hoping to have the website completed by the end of this semester. The beneficial aspect of this is working with a team of people of different skill sets and ideas that can work together and can bring something new to the table. The thing that makes it a little difficult is the fact that two great ideas are crashing into each other on what the design should look like and making sure it is what the client (Taradash) would be happy with.

Some of Taradash’s feedback with this first design approach was that she was not very happy with this inital design. She felt like this design was too constricted and boxy for her theme of light and wind which is supposed to have a loose and flowing feel. The idea of the site like the menu bar and slideshow at the top were approved on her part. Other things like the typography and the color also need to be revised and reworked. Again,  this is only the first real shot at designing the web page so I was not expecting to get the design 100% approved on the first showing. I have to keep in mind the idea of free flowing and movement within the site.

First two digital drafts of the site layout done in Illustrator.