NYC Attraction Submission

8 Responses to NYC Attraction Submission

1. Maria Claris S. Pineda
    HMGT 1101
    Attraction Assignment
    November 8, 2017

One World Observatory
    The One World Observatory is a recently opened attraction in New York City. It is located on the freedom tower at the 9/11 memorial. The One World Observatory is a new sightseeing experience that was created, in order for people to further know more about the freedom tower, the symbolic 9/11 event, and the vibrant life that is flowing in New York City. The attraction’s point of difference is the astounding height of the freedom tower, and the wonderful view that one can spectate when one is on top of the tower.

The Empire State Building was originally the main attraction to go to for sightseeing when one wants a full view of New York City. However, the freedom tower’s height exceeds the Empire State, and it recently became the tallest building/tower/skyscraper in the entire Western Hemisphere. The freedom tower was built in order to commemorate the lost of the twin towers during 9/11; it is a symbol of a new beginning, with a wonderful recovery from the catastrophe that New Yorkers have experience from the tragic event. At the beginning of the sightseeing tour of the observatory, one first gets to ride the elevator from the ground floor of the tower. The elevator takes you all the way to the 100th floor in an incredibly fast speed of 50 seconds. During the ride, the walls of the elevator show the 500 years history of New York gradually progressing from the beginning, up until the present day New York. After they give a slight visual introduction before you see the view; the best part however, was when the walls of the screen go up, the dark space we were in was suddenly lit by sunlight, and the full view of New York was right in front of our eyes. After we were introduced to a tool that can be used to locate certain attractions in New York City, with a full audio and visual description of its history and symbolic importance to the city. Another part of the experience is where a guide tells knowledgeable and fun facts about New York; the guide provides some valuable information and advice when it comes to visiting a certain tourist spot or attraction.

The attraction is for people of all ages, and is especially recommendable to people who are new to New York City; it is a great place to start when one does not know much about the city, and at the same time, experience the spectacular view of New York City, State, and the neighboring places that surround it. The employees that help function the vicinity were all accommodating, and try to the best of their abilities to help people who are unsure of the procedures that takes place when one enters the vicinity. All in all, the employees made sure that the visitors leave with a lasting impression of the attraction.

2. Victoria Liao
    Professor Akana
    HMGT 1101 D404
    8 November 2017

NYC Attraction- Bowlmor Lanes
    The attraction that I chose was Bowlmor Lanes which is located on 222 W 44th St, New York, NY 10036. During my visit to Bowlmor Lanes, I have been to Bowlmor Lanes for a birthday party. Bowlmor Lanes is the destination that tourists would go to for bowling because they have a sports bar inside and spending time with family.

The original Bowlmor Lanes was opened in the heart of Greenwich Village in 1938 at 110 University Place. In 1999, Bowlmor Lanes was the company to become the most popular bowling alley in the United States. It is the location to go for entertainment and they opened one in Washington D.C. after seeing how popular it is. Tom Shannon who went to school for business came up with the idea to purchase Bowlmor Lanes after going to a birthday party that was held there. The hospitality that I witnessed when I was there was the interaction between the guests that were having their event there and setting up for the party. The staff members were nice and helpful during the event. The customer service was great but would change how they interacted with the guests when you first enter the building.

Bowlmor Lanes is known for bowling but has different types of activities to do there. They have different arcade games, pool, and air hockey in certain locations. It is different from other attractions in Times Square because you can bring your family there and have a great time bowling even if you are not good at it. The demographics are family and friends who wants to have a good time and relax from school or work.

Works Cited
    Digest, Manhattan “New Bowling Experience with Bowlmor Times Square”, New York, 9 November 2016
    About Bowlmor (2017, November 10) Retrieved from https://www.bowlmor.com/about-us

3. yanira says:

Yanira Vega
    HMGT 1101-D404
    Prof. Akana
    Attraction Assignment
    911 MEMORIAL
    The 911 Memorial is located at 180 Grrenwich Street,Lower manhattan New York. Its builed on the former site of the Twin TowersWorld Trade center. If you remember, the world trade center was destroyed on September 11, 2011 by a terrorist plane atack on both towers.This was the worst terrorist in America’s history. We lost 2977 innocent lives that dredful morning. After that day the lives of all would change forever. This act of terror was something unheard of on American soil.

Every year after that, on September 11 friends and family of the victims gatherd on the dusty, gravel filled site to remeber and grive together the lives of our lost. The names of every victims is read and the times the planes hit the towers is aknowledge. A few years after the attacks and the dust began to somewhat settle, organizations were formed and a mission to create a place of mourning and rememberance began. A place where we could go remember and honor all the innocent souls lost. After years of failed designs, controversy on a site, fund raising, name choices and hard work, on March 2006 construction on the memorial began.
    On the ceremony of the tenth anniversary of the attacks Spetember 11,2011 the memorial was opened to families and loved once of the victims.

The memorial includes two refecting pools, 76 broze plates surrounding the pools with the names of the victims incribed in them and an underground museum which hold many displays of items found in the rubble and victims belongings. It mostly attracts tourists form around the world and locals who come to pay respects.The atmosphere for the most part is somber and trainguile. You notice people taking lots of pictures, with pensils coping the names from the plates( they provide visitors with paper and pencils), some crying some laughing, leaving flowers by the pool,alot just mesmorize when they realize the magnitude of what happened where they now stand.Something new I learned this visit after 16 years coming here is that the trees surrounding the area of the memorial are actually trees form the World Trade center. They were recovered by construcion workers and bought back to life by the botanical garden. These trees now stand as a symbol of our hope, faith, rebirth and our undying strength of survival.

On November 1,2017I decided to visit the museum for the first time.This decision was very hard for me to make but I figured since it was an option on my assignment I would take the opportunity. You see I’m one of those who losted a loved one on that horrible Tuesday morning of September 11,2001.My cousin David Prudencio Lemagne was the youngest police officer who lost his life on the attack. He was a New Jersey Port Authority Officer. As soon as David and his fellow officers heard about the attack they took the pathtrain over the river to NY to help. David helped rescue a group of 5 tourist stuck on the escalator on the North tower.Bought them back to the fire truck for first aide. But that wasnt enough for him. Him and a goup of people went back and formed a human chain to help evacuate another group thats when the second tower fell. That was the last time David was seeing alive. “He lived as a hero and he died as one.”

After 16 years coming to the memorial ceremony, I now find myself in the entrance of the museum for the very first time. As I walk in the museum, down the ramp leading to a wall of names,my legs give in from under me. I thought I was ready but obviously Im not. Im afriad of whats down there. As I begin to hyperventilate and hold on to the railings, the host that stood by the entrance makes his way toward me. He intuduced himself to me as Carl and asked if I was ok and if there was anything he could help me with. I explained my dilema to him. He was very kind and offer to take me to the family room(a room set aside in the museum just for family memebers) but in order to go to the family room I needed to go further in the museum. I told him I was not ready to do that. He stayed with me by the entrance till I was able to compose myself, got me a bottleof water and walked me back up the ramp. His patience and compasionate ways at that moment reminded me of our David. He didnt have to do all that for me but he choose to. I thanked him for his helped and his responds was “Thats what Im here for, to be of any help to anyone that needs me”. He excused himself and headed back down the ramp.

So in closing professor Akana, I hope you take into consideration my words/experience in this writing. I might not have followed directions completely on the assignment but I poured my heart and soul into it. An on the part of hospitality, I believe Carl is the epitome of hospitality and a person who actually loves his job and takes into account the emotions of visitors and their circumstances when they enter this humbling place. Im planning another visit soon with my boys for moral support. I look forward to introducing them to Carl, my hero for a day.

4. yanira says:

Yanira Vega
    HMGT 1101-D404
    Prof. Akana
    Attraction Assignment

911 MEMORIAL

The 911 Memorial is located at 180 Greenwich Street,Lower Manhattan New York. Its build on the former site of the Twin Towers World Trade center. If you remember, the world trade center was destroyed on September 11, 2011 by a terrorist plane attack on both towers.This was the worst terrorist in America’s history. We lost 2977 innocent lives that dreadful morning. After that day the lives of all would change forever. This act of terror was something unheard of on American soil.

Every year after that, on September 11 friends and family of the victims gather on the dusty, gravel filled site to remember and grieve together the lives of our lost. The names of every victims is read and the times the planes hit the towers is acknowledge. A few years after the attacks and the dust began to somewhat settle, organizations were formed and a mission to create a place of mourning and remembrance began. A place where we could go remember and honor all the innocent souls lost. After years of failed designs, controversy on a site, fund raising, name choices and hard work, on March 2006 construction on the memorial began.
    On the ceremony of the tenth anniversary of the attacks September 11,2011 the memorial was opened to families and loved once of the victims.

The memorial includes two reflecting pools, 76 bronze plates surrounding the pools with the names of the victims inscribed in them and an underground museum which hold many displays of items found in the rubble and victims belongings. It mostly attracts tourists form around the world and locals who come to pay respects.The atmosphere for the most part is somber and train guile. You notice people taking lots of pictures, with pencils coping the names from the plates( they provide visitors with paper and pencils), some crying some laughing, leaving flowers by the pool,a lot just mesmerize when they realize the magnitude of what happened where they now stand.Something new I learned this visit after 16 years coming here is that the trees surrounding the area of the memorial are actually trees form the World Trade center. They were recovered by construction workers and bought back to life by the botanical garden. These trees now stand as a symbol of our hope, faith, rebirth and our undying strength of survival.

On November 1,2017I decided to visit the museum for the first time.This decision was very hard for me to make but I figured since it was an option on my assignment I would take the opportunity. You see I’m one of those who lost a loved one on that horrible Tuesday morning of September 11,2001.My cousin David Prudencio Lemagne was the youngest police officer who lost his life on the attack. He was a New Jersey Port Authority Officer. As soon as David and his fellow officers heard about the attack they took the path train over the river to NY to help. David helped rescue a group of 5 tourist stuck on the escalator on the North tower.Bought them back to the fire truck for first aide. But that wasn’t enough for him. Him and a group of people went back and formed a human chain to help evacuate another group that is when the second tower fell. That was the last time David was seeing alive. “He lived as a hero and he died as one.”

After 16 years coming to the memorial ceremony, I now find myself in the entrance of the museum for the very first time. As I walk in the museum, down the ramp leading to a wall of names,my legs give in from under me. I thought I was ready but obviously Im not. Im afraid of whats down there. As I begin to hyperventilate and hold on to the railings, the host that stood by the entrance makes his way toward me. He introduced himself to me as Carl and asked if I was ok and if there was anything he could help me with. I explained my dilemma to him. He was very kind and offer to take me to the family room(a room set aside in the museum just for family members) but in order to go to the family room I needed to go further in the museum. I told him I was not ready to do that. He stayed with me by the entrance till I was able to compose myself, got me a bottle of water and walked me back up the ramp. His patience and compassionate ways at that moment reminded me of our David. He didn’t have to do all that for me but he choose to. I thanked him for his helped and his responds was “That is what Im here for, to be of any help to anyone that needs me”. He excused himself and headed back down the ramp.

5. Chris Raghubir
    HMGT 1101
    Prof. Akana

Time Square

Time Square is a major commercial intersection in central Manhattan at the junction of Broadway and Seventh Avenue. Time square acquired its name in 1904 when Albert Ochs, publisher of The New York Times, moved the newspaper’s headquarters to a new skyscraper on what was then known as Longacre Square. The name stuck, even after The New York Times moved across Broadway in 1913. It was known in the 70s, 80s, and 90s as a seedy place with sex shops and rampant crime.
    New York City is an increasingly diverse and dynamic city with immigrants from all the world. All five boroughs demonstrate this melting pot of cultures through activities, museums, stores and restaurants. One of those places that are frequently by diversity is Time Square in NYC.
    The first Times Square New Year’s Eve ball drop was held in 1907. The tradition is still going, and nowadays more than a million see it in person and on television. Time Square draws about 50 million visitors a year, which is the most of any US attraction. Times Square is one of the world’s most visited tourist attractions, drawing an estimated 50 million visitors annually. Approximately 330,000 people pass through Times Square daily, many of them tourists, while over 460,000 pedestrians walk through Times Square on its busiest days.
    Times Square is much more than just a tourist attraction. The greater area contains huge employee and residential populations that come to the district daily. Time Square can also be considered to be the center of the world. You can hear multiple of different languages just strolling around times square. This area is a convergence of fantastic hotels, restaurants, entertainment options, and fabulous shows. Time Square is centrally located to all transportation and subway.
    Time Square is a great place for meeting people from all cultures. Security is at the highest level at Times Square due to the heavy traffic and tourist. There is always tourist that need some direction, which gives you time to intermingle and share your experience.

“Home.” Times Square NYC, 14 Nov. 1970, http://www.timessquarenyc.org/.

“Times Square.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 12 Nov. 2017, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Square.

6. amoswescott says:

Amos Wescott
    HMGT 1101
    NYC Attraction assignment

The American Museum of Natural history in New York City is the largest natural history museum in the world. It displays more than 30 million specimens from all branches of natural history along with wealthy artifacts and interesting exhibits located on the upper west side of Manhattan. The museum was opened in 1870 to provide the community or public with current and historical facts of the natural world.

The museum of natural history has a huge significance to the culture of the New York City because the museum attracts around 5 million visitors annually and most of the visitors are tourists. The museum of natural history teaches people from all over the world that come to visit about the importance of different cultures, places, species and lifestyles from past to present day. It also gives people an opportunity to learn about things that they didn’t have knowledge of.

The museum of natural history is unique because of the rare exhibits it holds and because it is the largest natural museum in the world holding more than 30 million specimens from all areas of natural life. For example, the star of India is a huge attraction for new Yorkers and tourists because it is one of the largest gems in the world and popular for its uniqueness. It is one of the most known objects in the world which makes the museum of natural history unique because it holds such rare items.

The museum of natural history attracts people of all ages, race and religion. People who are interested in history is attracted to the museum. The hospitality was minimal because of the time and day in which I went. The museum of natural history could have used more employees on the guest services team because as I was trying to leave the museum I got lost and couldn’t find the exit.

https://www.amnh.org

7. amoswescott says:

Amos Wescott
    HMGT 1101
    NYC Attraction assignment

https://www.amnh.org

8. Karasudani says:

Kazuyoshi Karasudani
    HMGT 1101
    Professor Akana
    NYC Attraction Assignment
    The United Nations

New York City is home to the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ), one of the most important organizations in the world. United Nations (UN) Headquarters is located in East Midtown, New York City. The organization consists of 193 member states. The work of the UN is important. It is a place where political leaders from all over the world gather to debate and solve the most pressing issues of the day. Throughout its long history, countless world-changing negotiations, agreements and decisions have been made there. While UNHQ is one of the world’s most important organizations politically, it is also one of the most popular places in New York City for tourists to visit.
    Before you visit UNHQ, you should know a little bit about the history of the United Nations in order to maximize your experience. In the midst of the Second World War, on January 1, 1942, United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt coined the term “United Nations,” to describe the 26 nations united in the fight against the Axis Powers. Following the war, the UN Charter was drafted, effectively going into force on October 24, 1945 (now known as UN Day). The UN Secretariat Building was completed in 1952. The building has 39 stories and was designed by Brazilian architect Oscar Niemeyer and the Swiss-French architect Le Corbusier. The 18-acre site for UNHQ was donated by John D. Rockefeller, Jr.
    UNHQ, including the Secretariat Building, Conference Building, and General Assembly Building, is located in the Turtle Bay neighborhood of Manhattan, along First Avenue between 42nd and 48th Street. Once you reach the UN campus, if the weather is good you will see national flag of every UN member state flying all along First Avenue. The scene of UNHQ is one of the iconic views of NYC today. After you pass through security at 46th Street, you officially enter into international territory. Before you entering the GA Building, you will see many symbolic sculptures and other objects, such as “Sphere Within Sphere,” and the famous sculpture “Non-Violence”. Also known as, “The Knotted Gun,” this sculpture by Carl Fredrik Reuterswärd is in the shape of 357 Magnum revolver with a knotted barrel and the muzzle pointing upwards. Reutereswärd created “Non-Violence” as a memorial tribute to John Lennon, who was shot and killed on New York City’s Upper West Side on December 8, 1980. The bronze sculpture was donated to the United Nations by the Government of Luxembourg in 1988.
    Upon entering the General Assembly Building, you will see the pictures of the successive Secretary-Generals. In addition to exhibitions about the work of the UN Organization, there are a number of art collections on display representing world peace. One of the most symbolic art collections is the “Chagall Peace Window.” This freestanding piece of stained glass, unveiled on September 17, 1964, was created to be a “living memorial” to Dag Hammarskjöld, one of the most famous Secretaries-General of the United Nations, who died in a tragic plane crash in Zambia in 1961.
    Fundamentally, the United Nations is a place where world leaders gather to discuss the most pressing global issues of the day. There are a number of different United Nations organs, including the General Assembly, the Security Council, ECOSOC, and the Trusteeship Council. One of the most famous rooms on the UN campus is undoubtedly the General Assembly (GA) Hall. The GA Hall is located in the General Assembly Building, and is the room where world leaders debate global issues and express his/her government’s position on these issues during High-Level Week of the UN General Assembly every September. From presidents and prime ministers to dictators, many men and women famous and infamous have given speeches from the GA Hall podium.
    The UN offers guided tours of the UN campus. The tours are 45-60 minutes long and provides 24 multilingual tour guides and 12 different languages for tourists who do not speak English. During the tour, visitors see the Security Council Chamber, the Trusteeship Council Chamber the ECOSOC Chamber and the General Assembly Hall, and learn about the history of the United Nations, and how the United Nations addresses issues such as disarmament, peace and security, human rights and the Sustainable Development Goals. Tickets are sold on site and on the web. The price is $22 for adults and $15 for students.
    After you finish your tour of the UN campus, there is a gift shop in the basement of the GA Building. The UN also has its very own post office. Here, you can buy UN limited edition stamps and send postcards to friends and family from inside the UN.
    The UN building attracts many people, especially those interested in politics and world peace. Many people, from young students to senior citizens, visit while they are in New York City. Since its opening, the UN has consistently been one of New York’s most symbolic attractions. There are more than one million visitors to the UN every year. The United Nations is indeed a must-see place for those visiting New York City.