Industry Profile Essay (due 9/28)

Industry Leader/Organization Profile

15% of total grade

Due week 5

Task
Choose an industry leader or company you wish to start your career with.  Write an essay explaining what you know about the leader or company and what your career goals are.

• Name the Leader or Organization
  • State which segment of Hospitality are they associated with
  • What attracted you to them
  • Give a brief history or biography of the subject
  • Explain why working for them would help your long term goal

Format
Follow APA Standards including but not limited to:

• Citations
  • Minimum of ~250 words

Expectations

• Inclusion of three (2) reliable/academic sources with reference page
  • Proofread and free of typos and grammatical errors
  • Effective sentence structure
  • Inclusion of proper industry terminology and the understanding of the impact the chosen person or organization has had on the hospitality industry
  • Thoughtful and coherent communication of career goals

Criteria for Assessment
See information literacy and writing rubrics

Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this assignment, students will be able to:

• Discuss the scope of the hospitality and tourism industry through written business communication
  • Gather information from observation in regard to the hospitality and tourism industries from a local, national and international perspective and his/her role within the industry
  • Understand and discuss the roles and responsibilities of key executives and department heads in the hospitality and tourism industries and their impact on trends in the industry
  • Describe key management functions using professional terms and communication standards

6 Responses to Industry Profile Essay (due 9/28)

1. Karasudani says:

Industry Profile Essay
    By: Kazuyoshi Karasudani
    26 September 2017

The restaurant industry constitutes a vast market in New York City. There are currently around 24,000 restaurants operating within the New York City metropolitan, and newcomers from all over the world are constantly opening new restaurants. Tao Group is one of the leading companies in the United States. Richard Wolf, Jason Strauss, Mare Parker and Noah Tepperberg opened their first restaurant, TAO, in Midtown Manhattan in the year 2000. Since then, they have opened 31 restaurants, lounges and nightclubs throughout New York, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and Sydney, Australia, with ambitious plans to open new restaurants in Chicago and Singapore in 2018. Currently, Tao Group owns seventeen venues in NYC, including TAO Uptown and Downtown, Beauty & Essex, Lavo, Marquee and more.

In an interview with Hospitality Design, Richard Wolf stated, “We believe in the ‘wow’ factor.” Tao Group is constantly trying to bring new trends into their venues and surprise their patrons. Even with their oldest establishments, they consistently redo the interiors to keep their customers coming back. Wolf also said that, “We’re constantly evolving and trying to keep things fresh for our guests so that we don’t fade away one day. We want to stay ever-present.” Tao Group does whatever it needs to do to achieve the ‘Wow’ factor. In Las Vegas, for example, Tao Group spent $22 million over two years to construct a venue that would impress and “Wow” its guests.

From Tao Group’s viewpoint, the ‘Wow’ factor, putting in a lot of effort to surprise guests by adding new elements is what I should learn in order to achieve success throughout my career. I think people, especially in New York, are always seeking the hot new trend. It is tough to keep customers if a restaurant is always the same and never adapts. If I were able to join the Tao Group, I could successfully learn how to discover and identify new trends, as well as how to blend and adapt them to the restaurant setting to keep the guests while growing my clientele.

References
    Rauen, S. S. (2014). perspectives Interview tao group. Hospitality Design, 36(3), 153-156.

Rogers, M. (2005). The Tao of Vegas. Travel Agent, 323(4), 22.

2. Yanibel Medina
    9/18/2017
    Perspective in Hospitality Management
    Prof. Akana

Industry Profile Essay

“At Four Seasons we believe in recognizing a familiar face, welcoming a new one and treating everyone we meet the way we would want to be treated ourselves. Whether you work with us, stay with us, live with us, discover with us, we believe our purpose is to create impressions that will stay with you for a lifetime. It comes from our belief that life is richer when we truly connect to the people and the world around us.” – that is the mission statement of one of the most luxury hotels in the world. Four Seasons Hotel and Resorts first opened its first hotel in 1961. The Canadian company has been successful for nearly 50 years. Isadore Sharp the young architect had no plans to enter the hotel business. With the help of his contractor father, Max Sharp, he constructed his first hotel. Over the years, Sharp opened a Four Seasons Hotel in London, England. That hotel set the tone for the future of the company. Within a few years, the company had 10 hotels across Canada, San Francisco and Chicago. By the late 1970’s, Four Seasons had entered the U.S. market in Washington, D.C. by the late 1970’s. Four Seasons had in dozen U.S cities including Dallas, Philadelphia, and Boston. The company went from a hotel owner-operator into a management company. In the 1990’s the company was offering exceptional services and facilities in exotic destinations (Four Seasons pg 1). The company now welcomes guests to 50 properties on every continent.

I’ve always loved this hotel for its location here in New York City. The view the rooms provide for the guests are breath-taking, especially in the city. Working for them will benefit me in my long-term goals because it will give me many experience and opportunities. Also, it’s a very luxury hotel and its known for their attention to detail.

Citation

Margittai, T., Kovi, Paul, Renggli, Josef, & Four Seasons. (1980). The Four Seasons. New York: Simon and Schuster.

Sharp, I. (2009). Four Seasons : The story of a business philosophy. New York: Portfolio.

Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts website.

3. yanira says:

Yanira Vega
    Hmgt 1101
    Prof. Akana
    Industry Profile Essay

Chef Mario Batali

Born and raised In Seattle Washington in 1960, Mario Batali didn’t always see himself as a chef. . In 1975 he moved to Spain to live with his family and returned three years later to the states to study theater and economics in Rutgers University. After graduating college Mario decided to study culinary in “Le Cordon Bleu”, But after only a short time he decided that a professional kitchen was a better place for him. He soon began a string of internships in kitchens around the city. In 1989 he moved to Italy and in an Italian village called ‘Borgo Capanne’ he began an apprenticed at the ‘La Volta’ kitchen. There Mario mastered the traditional Italian cooking style. Mario returned to the states in 1993 and here began his takeover in the restaurant scene. Mario stands out with his unique look and upbeat personality. His orange vest, orange clogs and his famous ponytail complete his unique style.

Today Mario Batali is a highly respected chef and entrepreneur. He has been honored with numerous culinary awards and his restaurants are among the best around the world. Among many of his accomplishments He owns restaurants in New York, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and as far as Singapore. To this day he is the proud co-owner of 20 restaurants, 5 Italian Markets etc. He has written 4 cook books and started in 5 TV shows, Currently “The Chew”.

Mario is not only a great chef, TV personalty but also a wonderful humanitarian in my opinion. In 2008, Mario founded The Mario Batali Foundation.Their goal is to ensure that all children are well educated, well fed, and well cared for. Mario and his organization also aid The Lunchbox Fund, a nonprofit that ensures that orphaned and vulnerable school children of South Africa are given at least one meal a day. Here in USA he is involved with the Food Bank for New York City which provides thousands of meals and support to the most needy in New York City area through soup kitchens, food pantries, classrooms, afternoon programs, and more.

I’ve been a fan of Mario since I can remember. What I admire about him is his down to earth humble personality. He doesn’t need to fit in the culinary world. He stands out on his own merits. He is always helping other and uplifting the people around him. He experiments with ALL types of foods but stays loyal to his Italian roots. He can make the must incredible dishes as well as whip up something simple in a blink of an ye. It would be an honor for me to some day meet him and tell him how he has influenced me in the love of food and cooking. And it would be a dream come true if someday in the future I can somehow be involved in learning from a great chef or be involved in one of his organizations.

Citations:
    (n.d.). Retrieved October 04, 2017, from http://www.mariobatali.com/about/

(2016). Retrieved October 04, 017, from http://www.mariobatalifoundation.org/foudation/

(n.d.). Retrieved September 04, 2017, from http://www.famous-entrepreneurs.com/mario-batali

4. Marriott International is one of the largest hotel business chains in the world. Now called as a conglomerate, they hold 30 different hotel brands that are very diverse, and each brand represents Marriott in its own unique way. With Marriott focusing more on the diversity of brands, it demonstrates a positive look on the global market. Marriott did not start as a hotel chain right off the bat. Founders J. Williard Marriott and his wife Alice, first started a root beer shop; They soon started their own root beer franchise known as A&W. Adding hot food items on their menu, they created Hot Shoppes, which included the first drive-in restaurant in the east coast. They also created business with catering in-flight meals to airlines, making them pioneers of airline food catering. Under J. Williard Marriott’s son, bill, Marriott shifted to the hotel and lodging business; and over 25 years, Marriott became a diverse global enterprise. At first, I was attracted to Marriott solely because of the name itself. The brand in itself is very powerful, and it shows the pride that the company has. However, not only because of the brand, but the good service that the company gives not only to the consumers, but to their employees, shows that they treat every individual with respect. The president and CEO of Marriott states, “In a business like ours, where the hospitality we provide is essential, we simply cannot succeed unless our people love their work.” Marriott is a company that creates their own legacy not only on their past success, but with new innovations that meet the demands that people ask for. Working for them in the future will help me further understand what diversity, uniqueness, and sustainability mean. With Marriott, I am guaranteed an enjoyable career in life.

References

Rauen, S. S., & Akkam, A. (2017). BIGGER IS BETTER: A look at what’s happening after the Starwood-Marriott merger. Hospitality Design, 39(6), 58-69. <!–Additional Information: Persistent link to this record (Permalink): http://citytech.ezproxy.cuny.edu:2048/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=hjh&AN=124110780&site=ehost-live&scope=site

EISEN, D., FOX, J. T., & MEST, C. E. (2017). Marriott ruminates on brands, growth and sustainability. Hotel Management (21582122), 232(5), 8-9.

http://www.careers.marriott.com/life-at-marriott/

http://www.marriott.com/about/corporate-overview.mi

5. Marriott

Since i was a kid , my parents used to take us on vacations to these beautiful resorts all over the world. I was always fascinated by the
    decor and the environment in those luxury hotels. One of my favorite companies in the world of hospitality is the Marriott hotels.

The Marriott first hotel was founded in 1957,by the couple John Willard and Alice Sheets Marriott .It was called the Twin Bridges Marriott, and it was managed by their son bill for 25 years. They first expanded to Mexico , by opening one of the hotels in of the very touristic cities in Mexico , Acapulco in 1969 .Today there are more than 6,000 hotels in 122 countries. In my opinion the Marriott hotels and resorts are some of the best hotel in the world, they are known worldwide. I have been interested in working in one of the Marriott luxury resorts, knowing that as someone that is looking forward to a career in the hotel business, i would love to have a place in one them.
    The list of hotels belonging to the Marriott company is long and each one is different from the other. Depending on the location of the hotel, you can have some that are business hotels, others luxury hotels offering so many differents amenities and multitude of services that other hotels do not present for their clientele. That is why i am choose to work for the marriott hotel, i would be able to learn so much about hospitality, be able to travel to the other locations, in so many different countries and continents.Marriott hotels and resorts has been offering some of the best hospitality services
    in the world, very known worldwide. Looking at the history of the foundation of this branch of hotels, they way it grew out of a root stand beer to the opening of a hotel, then expanding to other countries, and until this day still looking for ways to expand and advance their way of serving their clientele such as having ipads for the stayers to order anything they need without having to use a phone or going to the reception to ask for a car. It is a great example for people trying to grow in this business, such as me, who are willing to take all of this knowledge that i am willing to learn from working in of the Marriott resort, to get to open a hotel in my country (Morocco).

To sum up, i would say that for someone who has been to luxury hotels, i think that a lot of Marriott hotels, are some of the best hotels i have seen in the world, they offer very good services, and i wish that after my graduation, i will be able to work in one of the luxury Marriott resorts.

-ttps://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/24/business/putting-the-front-desk-in-thehotel-guests-pocket.html?rref=collection%2Ftimestopic%2FMarriott%20Inte rnational%2C%20Inc.&action=click&contentCollection=business&region=st ream&module=stream_unit&version=search&contentPlacement=1&pgtype =collection

-http://www.marriott.com/marriott/aboutmarriott.mi

-http://www.marriott.com/about/culture-and-values/history.mi

6. Bryan Caba says:

Industry Profile: Andrew Zimmern

Bizarres’ Greatest Food Traveler : Andrew Zimmern
    Bryan Caba
    New York City College of Technology

Andrew Zimmern was born and raised in New York . By the age of 14 Zimmern began culinary training and graduated from both Dalton School and graduated from Vassar College. Although, Zimmern is a Icon in the food world ; he had very rough life due to his addiction to drugs and alcohol.Drugs and alcohol was getting in the way of his dream within’ the food business . By 1992 , Zimmern decided to live in Minnesota where he rehabilitated himself. After all of his ups and downs throughout his lifetime , he managed to become the best tv personality in the food network , best writer, and a chef.
    Andrew Zimmern is the founder and executive producer of Bizarre Food on the 1st of November ,2006. The Bizarre Food series revolutionized the food network as Andrew Zimmern travels the world trying various foods from different cultures that are unusual to Americans. For example, Andrew Zimmern has eaten insects , liver , tongue , snake ,and balut. Due to the fact that Zimmern’s series is very entertaining and interesting to the viewers, he became a three time James Beard award winning tv food person , chef , writer, and teacher.Andrew also wrote four guide books .

What attracted me to Andrew Zimmern was his character as a person who’s fascinated in trying new things and the unusual foods I am willing to try myself. The fact that he can travel the world to eat food has influenced me to want to be like him and eat food I’ve never actually tried. Working with Andrew Zimmern would actually help me long term because it will educate me more about the world and the important foods that helped shaped people’s culture.

Citations:
    http://www.travelchannel.com/profiles/talent/andrew-zimmern

https://www.eater.com/2010/7/27/6725195/andrew-zimmern-discusses-his-druggie-homeless-past