36Hours

Click here to see videos of the New York Times 36 Hours videos.

8 Responses to 36Hours

1. yanira says:

Yanira Vega
    HGMT 1101

36 hours In
.Florida
    In the summer of 2016 my family and I took a vacation to Kissimmee Florida. This is my recollection of the day we arrived in “36 hours in Kissimmee”

10:00 am = We arrived at our rental house in Kissimmee. There were 15 of us so we had to rent 4 mini vans. The house was beyond beautiful. The owner met us there and showed us around the house. Let the games begin.

12:00 pm = After settling in we took off to our first adventure at “Gatorland”. I told myself if I was to do only one thing while I was in Florida it was to see some gators. We spend 4 hours looking at gators of every size, color, and gender. It was awesome. The people at the farm were so friendly and energetic. It showed how much they loved what they do. It’s a family owned farm so most of the employees were related.

5:00pm= After an exhausting day at gatorland we made our way to eat at a local Mexican restaurant. Everyone was too tired to take any pictures.
    8:00pm= We arrived back at the house and it was pool time and relax time for the rest of the evening.

8:00am= Breakfast time and then we are off to Clear water Beach.

9:45am = we have arrived in heaven. These white sand beaches and clear blue waters are to die for. We rented four cabanas and the cabana boys couldn’t have been more helpful, cheerful, polite beyond believe. The people treated you like they know you since forever. We spend six hours. Sun bathing/ playing in the water and sipping drinks. The kids had a blast and so did the adults.

6:00pm= Family dinner and sparklers for the kiddies and then some adult time at the gate west strip.

9:00pm= After a wonderful day at the beach, The adults got ready for a night out at the strip of I192. We hit the Gate West flea market for some souvenir shopping, Night Bowling, drinks and sightseeing.

2. Bryan Caba says:

Bryan Caba

36 Hours in the Boogie Down Bronx

Although I was not born in the Bronx, I still consider myself from because I have lived in the Bronx for about 13 years. Living there I’ve not how interesting the Bronx can be. Surprisingly there are so much things that you can do.

10:00 a.m.- Instead of having waffles or pancakes for breakfast , I decided to get dressed and walk up the concourse from my building to eat my favorite sushi rolls. The place to eat sushi for a decent price in the Boogie Down Bronx is Asia Grill Express. Which is located in 888B Grand Concourse, Bronx, NY 10451. As I got in this Asian restaurant , I ordered 36 pieces of the Philadelphia roll which has tuna , avocado , and cream cheese for about $18.oo.

12:00 p.m.- In 1215 E Gun Hill Rd , I decided to go bowling with my family at a bowling alley known as Gun Post Lanes ; where I showed my brother my skills. Despite of it’s rating , it is a very nice place to continue playing because once you are there you feel like you never want to go home.

4:00 p.m.- After bowling we decided to visit the New York Botanical Garden . Which in fact is one of the most beautiful places to visit. Beautiful trees surrounding you as you walk through the garden.

7:00 p.m.- As my family decided to go home, my brother and I decided to go to Fordham to eat some tacos in a great Mexican restaurant known as El Sinaloense. Eating there makes you believe that Taco Bell doesn’t even exist. In other words , Taco Bell can’t beat Authentic Mexican Food.

9:00 p.m.-Though it’s been a pretty long night we’ve decided to go to City Island with our father who decided to go fishing there. City Island is similar to Staten Island where water surrounds the land and where people actually own boats.

9:00 a.m.- Me and my family decided to visit the Famous Bronx Zoo. Where we saw a few animals. Such as polar bears , lions, various apes and reptiles. As well as the camels.
    The food in the zoo are decent but can most likely be worth buying because when you enter the zoo , you will walk a lot.

11:00 a.m.- Bay Plaza is one of the biggest shopping malls in the Bronx. If you’re interested in buying clothes and food you will see multiple places within’ the mall to actually eat and find good clothing for yourself as well as buying jewelry. Our purpose was to actually buy clothes and so we did.

1:00 p.m.- After a long day of shopping in Bay Plaza , we decided to go to the AMC movie theaters that’s actually in the mall and find something interesting to watch.

2:00 p.m.- After the movie we felt somewhat hungry. So, we decided to go to Apple Bees’ that is also in the Bay Plaza mall.

4:00 p.m.- Finally we leave the mall and decide to go 161 and relaxed outside of the Yankee Stadium. Appreciating how beautiful the new Yankee Stadium looks.

8:00 p.m.- After relaxing within’ the Yankee Stadium area, we’ve decided to visit the Bronx Terminal Mall to search the good clothes Burlington may or may not have.

The Bronx is a pretty big place because although I lived there for 13 years, there are areas in the Bronx that I may have not heard of .

3. Bryan Caba says:

Bryan Caba

36 Hours in the Boogie Down Bronx

10:00 a.m.- Instead of having waffles or pancakes for breakfast , I decided to get dressed and walk up the concourse from my building to eat my favorite sushi rolls. The place to eat sushi for a decent price in the Boogie Down Bronx is Asia Grill Express. Which is located in 888B Grand Concourse, Bronx, NY 10451. As I got in this Asian restaurant , I ordered 36 pieces of the Philadelphia roll which has salmon , avocado , and cream cheese for about $18.oo.

4. Fyaad Nazim says:

Fyaad Nazim
    HGMT 1101
    12/2/17

36 hours in Atlantic City
    Over the summer my family and I spent 4th of July weekend at the Tropicana hotel in Atlantic City.

10:00 am – We had arrived at the tropicana hotel as we checked into our rooms.

12:00 pm – After settling in and eating breakfast we then headed to the beach, to start off the nice summer day, stacking up on ice creams and pina colada.

4:00 pm – Due to all the snacks and a late breakfast we end up skipping lunch and went straight to shopping. The outlets had some great deals and are just about a 10-15 min walk from the hotel.

9:00 pm – We then headed back to the hotel to shower and get dress to go out for dinner. My family and I went to an Italian restaurant, and I got to say the food was pretty good.

10:30 pm – Then finally we went to what Atlantic City is known for, the casino. I tried my luck but the machines weren’t paying out, so I just called it a day.

9:00 am – The next morning we woke up we went to a breakfast buffet, which was definitely worth it. It’s all you can eat so there’s no way you can go wrong from a wide variety of steak, chicken, salads, dessert, etc.

11:00 am – After filling our faces we headed to the pool, which was perfect on this hot summer 4th of July day.

2:00 pm – On the way heading back to the hotel we noticed a concert was happening at the beach so we decided to check it out. I got to say the music wasn’t the best but the Margarita by the bar was pretty refreshing.

7;00 pm- It was finally here, the moment everybody been waiting for, the fireworks. People loaded on top of one another just to get a good spot on the boardwalk watching the different color sparks in the sky one by one.

10;00 pm- It was sadly time to go home, so we went to buy some Ben and Jerry’s ice cream and then left. But of course we run into traffic because just like everybody else we left after the fireworks. I couldn’t complain this trip was definitely worth it, I looked back and said one last thing “ until next time.”

5. Sophia Mahrach
    HMGT1101
    36 hours in Windham mountain
    In february 2016, my mom had came to visit me in new york city. Since she was staying here for a month, i decided to take her on a little trip, and i decided that since it was winter time we should go skiing.
    2PM: we had just arrived to the hotel we were staying at called Hotel Vienna, we checked in, the costumer service was very nice.We went up to the room to put our luggage and rest for a little. Our room had a beautiful view of nature.

6pm:After settling down and resting , we put on bathing suits. The hotel had a pool and jacuzzi covered.There was nothing better than being in a hot jacuzzi,looking at the snow from the window.
    9pm:we were ready to go to dinner, we called in for a cab that took us into town. The driver recommended this restaurant that was more family type. It was a little crowded, and we had to wait for about 30 min to get a table. There was nothing fancy about the food, it was more like american food, we ordered wings and steaks.
    8am:we had nice breakfast in front of a beautiful cheminee, they served us some of the best croissants i’ve ever had.From there we went snow tubing.I know it’s only for kids but it was going to be our first time ever so we thought why not.
    1pm:we finish snow tubing, it was not as fun as we thought, it is meant more for kids than adults, we tried to do the snowmobile but even those they didn’t any for adults only for kids. Then we had burgers and went back to the hotel.
    8pm: we came back from the jacuzzi , changed and were ready for a fancy dinner.We went to the Vesuvio restaurant. A very nice place, good costumer service and delicious food. I had a pasta with shrimp while my mom ordered some lobster.We had some wine and then went back to the hotel.
    12am:After breakfast, we went to the mountain to ski.We had to pay for a lesson, since it was our first time.They had a package deal, about 2 hours class, with the whole rental of the equipment. Our professor was 71 years old, and he was still skiing like a professional.
    2am:We had to take a break to have some lunch and rest.Our bodies were so soared, i remember falling so many times. It was so much fun .
    5pm:We came to the hotel, did our session of relaxation in the jacuzzi, went back to the room and stayed in.
    8am:We packed our luggages to be ready to leave when the time arrives.But before after having breakfast,we decided to go jogging and look at the beautiful landscapes around the hotel. It was so nice to finally smell fresh air, and being away from the city life.

6. Yanina says:

Yanina Filipova
    LISBON – 36 hours

Stay in the the neighbourhood named Baixa. It is the center of an old town. You can walk everywhere important from there and have all the cafes and restaurants and shopping all around you.

Day1

8am Wake up and head to have a “petit dejeuner” trying pastel de Belem at any local coffee shop really . If you want to go to the place where it all started , of course go to Pasteis de Belem. It is authentic and the story says it is made by nuns and the recipe is secret.

9am Go up in the Santa Justa elevator
    You cannot miss it when you pass it while ambling through the downtown district. It offers enviable views over this old part of Lisbon, and it is a privilege to travel in this elevator designed by Ponsard, a disciple of the great master of iron works, Gustave Eiffel, more than a hundred years ago. The line is long though so get your coffee to go and have it in line.

10.30 am. Take a tram ride
    The tram is a common means of transport for Lisbonites, but also one of the best ways to travel through the historic neighbourhoods. It looks good on any photo, and the sound of the trams running on their rails is one of the most characteristic of the city. The no. 28 is the best known, but there are others…It is right there by the elevator.

11.30 am Carmo Convent
    You can’t miss it if you are in Lisbon. The Convent of Our Lady of Mount Carmel is a former-Roman Catholic convent .The medieval convent was ruined during the sequence of the 1755 Lisbon earthquake, and the destroyed Gothic Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel on the southern facade of the convent is the main trace of the great earthquake still visible in the old city. It is nearby the elevator and is amazing.

12.00-2.30pm Walk and lunch . Put in google maps this restaurant Maca Verde and choose the route that goes along the water. Not only its beautiful it will be good appetite precursor for an amazing family owned local food restaurant. Try to call them in advance since there is always some crowd waiting. Just accross the street from the restaurant is a central bus station. Get a ticket to Sintra for tomorrow 9.30-9.45 am and ticket back for 6-6.30 pm

3.00pm -4.30pm Take an uber to this castle Castelo de SĂŁo Jorge and explore one of the oldest medieval sites and probably the best city view . Take an hour long strall straight down back to the old town .

4.30.pm Shopping and walking around the old city. Enjoy endless little shops with sardines, wine , sweets , arts and crafts , pay attention to amazing tile work on the houses and buildings. Old squares in the center city have nice markets where you can have a snack of any grilled meat possible and havr sangria . Be careful not to overeat. The dinner is not too far away 🙂

6.00pm Rest for an hour in your hotel. Drop your bags and gifts , Take a shower , refresh and change . You are about to explore Lisbon’s night life .

7.30 pm Dinner and Fado
    If you head to Alfama neighbourhood , almost each and every place there have fado. Not every place is a restaurant though. You can walk around and see which one you like the best or follow the trip adviser reccomendations. Some places are very high demand and require reservation. Fado is a Portugese national musical gem and can not be missed. Its usually songs with acoustic guitar and it is wonderful , especially acxompanied with porto or wine after a great dinner .

10.00 pm Walking back home through the little streets. The distances in Lisbon’s center or rather “touristic center” are not that far away from each other. You can get from the neighbourhood that you are in now to your hotel in about half an hour but 
 first , get lost . Literally , get lost in little streets and just walk around this magical city. You can then hire a taxi or uber and get to your hotel fast.

Day 2

Hope you got some good night sleep and your feet are rested . Its going to be a lot of walking today. Take two bottles of water with you and get couple bananas and power bars.

8.00 am Wake up and eat breakfast in one of the breakfast spots or your hotel.

9.00am Take a train from the main square to the central bus station and take a train to Sintra . You have the ticket from yesterday .

10.00-11.00 pm Walk to Initiation Well inside of the Quinta de Regaleira palace. Walk around the palace inside and outside . The well is the most known and magical. Get a little walking self tour guide.

11.00-1.30Pena palace . It is like an hour hike through the forest but its so worth it. Feel yourself totally in fairytale in the woods and in the castle.

2 pm Have lunch in the cafe up in the castle. They dont have much of a selection and it is on expensive side , the other option is to bring things with you but dont forget you are walking up and a lot so any extra weight is no fun. Dont forget to take your water with you though.

2.30- 4pm Moore castle
    You can walk here from Moore castle through a different route and again through the amazing nature and it is walking down so shouldnt be that harsh. The walk is about half an hour. The place is amazing.

4pm-6pm Walking , Coffee break, shopping
    By now you are pretty tired. Do you want to walk even more ? Then just go down to the city of Sintra. It will take you another 40 min. and exit the parks . You cant move ? Take an uber to downtown (10 min) and have coffee break with pasteis de Belem there . You have at least an hour an a half till your train to Lisbon.

6.00pm Take a train back to Lisbon

7.00 pm Take an Uber to Ramiro restaurant

7.15 pm Ramiro ( no reservations accepted) Prepare to wait and trust me it will worth it.
    Antonio Bourdain once stepped in here and ever since there is at least an hour wait. You can have beer while you wait but once you are there its a seafood paradise .

9.30 Walk around a bit or head to your room. I believe you are very tired .

7. Victoria Liao
    HMGT 1101
    December 6,2017
    Professor Akana

36 Hours in Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida

When I was little. I have been to Disney World in Florida. I have always enjoyed going there because of the different activities they have for kids and adults. Disney has a special place in my heart. The last time I went to Disney World was in 2013. My family and I went for a vacation. I don’t remember exactly what I did there since it has been 3 years since I went. This is what I would do if I got the opportunity to go again.

10:00 am- Check into Disney’s Polynesian Villas and Bungalows
    If I had to go to Disney World again, I would stay at this hotel because it has an island ambience that resembles the spirit of the South pacific. It is also the home of the legendary Walt Disney World Resort hotels. This hotel was inspired by Walt Disney. It is a modern tropical paradise that is located minutes away from Magic Kingdom. It has a triple A rating as a resort.

12:00 pm- Dinner at Oasis Bar&Grill
    If you need a break from the hot weather and have fun during your vacation, you can eat at this restaurant. This restaurant has fish tacos, kalua pork sliders, and burgers. For the adults, they have a drink along with different types of assorted beverages. The price for this restaurant is $14.99 and under per adult. They also accept different dining plans. The location for this restaurant is in the Magic Kingdom Area at the Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort.

2:00 pm -Go to Miss Adventure Falls
    If you have any family members that are interested in going to water parks. Miss Adventure Falls is perfect for any ages and height. This is located at Disney’s Typhoon Water Park at Walt Disney World Resort. At this water park, there is a treasure raft that you can board.

4:00 pm -Shopping at Moana Mercantile
    After hitting the beach, you can go shopping at the second floor of the Great Ceremonial House. They have an oceanic outpost that has various playful souvenirs and Disney merchandise. At this store, they also have toys, snacks, and more.

7:00 pm – Dinner at Kona CafĂ©
    At this café, it has an Asian influence with traditional American meals. It also features a sushi kitchen if you like or is a fan of raw fish. The price can vary from 14.99 and under per adult. It can also be $15 to $34.99 per adult. This is a casual dining restaurant; this café has different options for adults and kids.

9:00 pm- Relax
    After a packed day full of activities, we can take the day to relax and sleep. We can also spend time with family and friends that we didn’t get to do since there were activities that were planned during the day. While staying at the hotel, we can order room service since we are tired from the excitement that happened.

9:00 am- Breakfast at Capt. Cook’s
    Even though this restaurant serves lunch or dinner, they also serve breakfast. You have different options for options and one of them is the Mickey waffle or the banana-stuffed Tonga Toast. There are also different drinks for adults and kids. Beer and wine are available for the adults. If you have a meal plan, this restaurant will accept it and the price is $14.99 and under per adult.

11:00 am-Play Volleyball
    This activity is perfect for all the sporty athletes that like to play volleyball. You can bump, set, and spike to any of the 8 sand courts that is located at Walt Disney World Resort hotels. This is perfect for kids, tweens, teens, and adults. This is located at many resorts that you are staying at Disney.

1:00 pm- Dinner at ‘Ohana
    At this restaurant, you can hang out with Stitch and his friends at breakfast and storytelling, but at lunch you can have a Hawaiian style feast at dinner. This restaurant requires a reservation that can be made up to 180 days to your visit. There is a Hawaiian hospitality that welcomes you to games.

2:00 pm- Go to the pool at the resort
    If you like activities such as swimming or going to the gym, you can go swimming at the resort. There are many different types of pools. One is the lava pool which features a towering volcano, a waterfall, and a 142-foot long waterslide. There is also the oasis pool which is snugged in a luxuriant garden. This pool is perfect for all ages.

4:00 pm- Pack to go home and go shopping
    After having time to get a tan and fun, it is sadly time to pack and head back to New York. After packing, it is time to head to the airport and catch a flight back home. IF there is time before our flight, we can also go shopping at BouTiki which has shirts, surf wear, ukuleles, and Disney character merchandise.

8:00 pm: Dinner at Pineapple Lanai
    This isn’t necessarily a dinner spot but you haven’t been to Disney unless you have the frozen treat called Dole Whip. They have different flavors. They are served diffently. You can get them in a float or soft serve swirl. Some flavors that they have are pineapple or vanilla. If you want the frozen treat, you can find it outside the great Ceremonial House which is outside of the Disney Polynesian Resort.

8. Lisa Torres says:

Lisa Torres
    Prof. Akana
    36 Hours Assignment
    NYC College of Technology
    36 Hours in the Dominican Republic

In the summer of 2013, my whole family took a vacation to the Dominican Republic to celebrate an engagement and a graduate in the family

10:00 am – We get picked up from the airport and go straight to the hotel. Once we get to the hotel we check-in. Group of 30+ people we were ready to enjoy!

12:00 pm – We settle everything in our rooms and change to get ready to go have lunch at our favorite restaurant Casablanca.

2:00 pm – After lunch we go back to our rooms to change into our bathing suits and to the beach to catch some sun we go.

4:00 pm – Arriving to the VIP pool, we take a group shot to celebrate. Mind you we are a group of 30+ people so we were taking over Lifestyle Resorts in Puerto Plata.

6:00 pm – After so many drinks and too much sun, we finally arrive to our rooms to relax and shower for dinner at 7.
    7:00 pm – At dinner, they had to close the restaurant to be able to fit my family all together. We went to our favorite restaurant.

9:00 pm – Dinner is almost over and my cousin’s boyfriend asks her to marry him. Everyone was crying tears of joy! After dinner we all hit the club to celebrate.

9:00 am – Exhausted from the night before, we wake up to breakfast already made in our room. They basically had a buffet in our rooms. (Our rooms were ginormous)

11:00 am – We are all ready to do an excursion and have a tour of Puerto Plata. We all meet up in the lobby of the resort to get into the van and leave.

1:00 pm – We stop at a local “colmado” (Dominican grocery stores) to buy some sandwiches for lunch. Everyone enjoying their “chimis” (Dominican sandwiches) and their frias (a nice cold beer).

2:00 pm – We are on our way back to the resort to enjoy our last few moments there. On our way back we are enjoying our ride dancing in the van and drinking.

4:00 pm – Right away we went to our room to put on our bathing suits and hit up the pool once again. Drinks and shots are coming our way like crazy! And my cousin announces that he just graduated as a doctor in pharmacy.

8:00 pm – Dinner was super special, we were all together and super grateful that everyone was there and having a good time. Nothing like some family time especially when on vacation.