NYC Attraction Submission

22 Responses to NYC Attraction Submission

1. John Tadras says:

NYC Attraction Assignment
    John Tadras
    Class number: E500
    November 15, 2015

As we all know NYC is the city that never sleeps the big apple and so on and so forth. I think we live in the best city in the world if you ask me. There is plenty of activities and attractions for us New Yorkers to partake in. Today I will be talking about my visit to the Etaly market in NYC on 200 Fifth Avenue. I had such an incredible experience just being there experiencing, but also I sat down in one of restaurants and had dinner which was a really good dish. There are many reasons why Etaly market is so unique and is worth visiting with friends and family. Trust me when I say Etaly has a big significance to the culture of NY. To me personally I have never encountered a unique market like Etaly it had plenty to offer and plenty of knowledge to gain. There target demographic is anyone and everyone. I did happen to witness examples of hospitality as I ate dinner at one of the restaurants they had over there called LA PIZZA and LA Pasta.
    Etaly has a major significance on the culture of New York. As we all know New York is fast high tempo and always busy, which you could relate to in the market as being really big and very diverse. Major significance in the different varieties of attractions you would like to explore within the market for example they have restaurants , wine shop, gelato station , nutella bar, cafés, of course a big market to shop from , they offer classes and events there such as private dinner events. It is very diverse as in the employees and customers at the market. They basically offer everything you can possibly think of when it comes to food and beverage. Not only do they have everything to offer but they have such great quality in all their products they have to offer in the market. This has a major significance to the culture of NY because they simply have a lot to offer either your buying products from the market or eating at one of the restaurants, cafes, counters, you will endure a memory of Italy without being in Italy. The one main reason why I find Etaly market unique is the knowledge you could leave there with is amazing. For example I visited the butcher department and asked him a few questions. He had a great knowledge of knowing which farm every meat is from and the size of the farm and was really educated about the meats he had to offer in his department. This could be helpful to someone who is not sure what they are looking for and not too sure what they could do with the product the employees are very helpful and kind to us customers. You could learn about the many different ways they go about doing things in the Etaly market, such as how are the products produced, where they are produced? Another major reason I see this market as being unique is the way it is set up, they have down to the T so that you won’t miss a thing in the market. It is setup really nice and it is meant for you not to miss a thing in the market because it is very big and diverse in products they have to offer us.
    Over in Etaly market they are targeting everyone and anyone in NYC, they could offer so many things maybe some things that people don’t like but I can guarantee their will be at least one item or product in the market that will make you satisfied about entering the market. So yea they have a really wide target demographic I was able to experience that when I went there, I seen many different races of people who were experiencing the market. Even the employees are very diverse in race and most are well educated about what they offer in the many different departments in Etaly. As I experienced myself they have a big target demographic as someone would elect to run in grab a quick gelato as they are strolling down the street on a hot summer night or maybe someone wants to run in grab a coffee from Café Lavazza or café vergnano. So In my opinion it isn’t very difficult for the market Etaly to attract any type of customers.
    On my wonderful experience to the Etaly market I did experience examples of hospitality first when I went to the butcher station, I asked the guy couple questions about the butcher department and even though he was busy with customers he still managed to answer my questions about all the different types of meat and where the different meats come from. He was very kind and enthusiastic about his job, he made jokes and stuff about what was going on so he had a good sense of humor, he even gave me a little background information about himself as he stated he was a butcher for 10 years and started at a slaughterhouse in Upstate New York. I also experienced more examples of hospitality as I had dinner at one of restaurants called La pizza and La pasta. I’ll start off by saying the food was really good and so was the service. Considering it was my first time at the restaurant I had a lot questions about the menu. The server was eager to explain the menu in detail and eventually helped me choose something from the menu. Other than that I also experienced hospitality walking through the market all employees greeted you and they were ready to ask any questions regarding the market such as directions to the restroom.
    Overall I had a great experience at the Etaly market it was a fun experience for me and I would certainly recommend going there to anyone who is looking to try new things and get a taste of good quality food and beverage. You could make a nice trip out of it and you could leave so full with great taste of food and knowledge about the Italian culture of food and beverage which is one of my favorites.

2. Amber R. says:

Amber Rutland
    Serendipity 3 Attraction Review
    Professor John Akana
    HMGT 1101
    November 16, 2015

New York City is known as the “Center of the Universe” among many other titles – it is a populous city known for being a cultural melting pot and the home to many monuments, organizations, and other places of significance. It is not only the home to structures and corporate businesses, but there are even restaurants and eateries with lines out of the door, from sit-down spots to “hole-in-the-walls”.

One of the many famous eateries in the city is Serendipity 3, located near the Midtown East – Upper East Side area of Manhattan, on 225 East 60th Street between 2nd and 3rd avenues. They sell New American cuisine for breakfast, lunch and dinner– from crepes to burgers, sandwiches and other plated dishes like fish, pasta, salads and more. It’s main attraction, however, are the desserts. Many flock to this restaurant for their huge-portioned sundaes, for example their “Strawberry Fields” sundae is a goblet with cheesecake, topped with loads of strawberry ice cream, whipped cream, and fresh strawberries. There is also their world-famous Frrrozen Hot Chocolate, an icy chocolate drink topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

Since it’s opening in 1954, Serendipity has been a cultural landmark. Named after the story of the Three Legendary Princes of Serendip, the interior has a toy-store or an “Alice In Wonderland” feeling, as guests pass by the small gift shop in the front with random toys and books and branded take-home food items. The cozy two-floor establishment features a collection of funky wall and ceiling décor, making the shop possess a quaint-like eclectic mood. When the owner Stephen Bruce opened the shop and didn’t take long to catch the eye of stars and big figures with it’s amazing desserts and quirky interior, such as Marilyn Monroe, Andy Warhol, Jackie Kennedy-Onassis, Bill Clinton and others; many attempted to bribe Bruce of his Frrrozen Hot Chocolate recipe in vain, until later on when he revealed it in the shop’s recipe book entitled Sweet Serendipity.

Besides its famous visitors, Serendipity are also very well-known due to their presence in media. Serendipity has been used for scenes in multiple movies, including One Fine Day (1996), Trust the Man (2006), and most famously Serendipity (2001). It is also the holder of multiple Guinness World Records; for the world’s most expensive burger with their $295 Le Burger Extravagant, and most famously their most expensive dessert, the $1,000 Golden Opulence Sundae – made with rare ingredients worldwide, such as Taihitian vanilla bean ice cream, Madagascar vanilla covered in 23k gold leaf, drizzled with the most expensive chocolate in the world, chunks of Chuao chocolate and more exotic goodies like Marzipan Cherries, truffles and more, and topped with a little glass bowl of Grand Passion Caviar.

Being a must-experience for New Yorkers and especially tourists, Serendipity usually has lines going out the door, especially on weekends; reservation by phone is limited. A personal suggestion to avoid a 3-hour wait would be to visit during the weekdays (Mondays – Thursdays), during or before lunchtime, or late before the kitchen closes. I was fortunate enough to get a taste of Serendipity one night after their kitchen closed— it is “dessert-only” an hour before closing, which may have been the best timing if that is the only intention is to eat desserts.

Their Frrrozen Hot Chocolate is definitely a must try, and if one doesn’t want simple chocolate, they also have other flavored variations of the famous drink, like mint, peanut butter, and salted caramel. Many of their dessert portions are big enough to feed two people, like their sundaes and pie sundaes. If one has curious taste buds and a hefty disposable income, the Golden Opulence Sundae is can be made if reserved 48 hours in advance.

While their desserts and drinks are scrumptious, their service leaves much to be desired. While I never personally had a bad experience, service seemed a bit impersonal and not checking up on customers (to be fair, I arrived near closing time). A majority of their reviews on websites like Yelp speak of inattentive servers, especially during peak times. While Serendipity 3 seems in no danger of closing for any service issues, the manager of the establishment may want to prioritize maintaining a positive dining experience by pushing good customer service. All in all, their desserts are worth any oddities that may come about during the experience. Serendipity is an attraction worth experiencing even if just once, and mainly for the desserts. I definitely suggest going with that one mission in mind.

3. Amber R. says:

Amber Rutland
    Serendipity 3 Attraction Review
    Professor John Akana
    HMGT 1101
    November 16, 2015

Besides its famous visitors, Serendipity are also very well-known due to their presence in media. Serendipity has been used for scenes in multiple movies, including One Fine Day (1996), Trust the Man (2006), and most famously Serendipity (2001). It is also the holder of multiple Guinness World Records; for the world’s most expensive burger with their $295 Le Burger Extravagant, and most famously their most expensive dessert, the $1,000 Golden Opulence Sundae – made with rare ingredients worldwide, such as Tahitian vanilla bean ice cream, Madagascar vanilla covered in 23k gold leaf, drizzled with the most expensive chocolate in the world, chunks of Chuao chocolate and more exotic goodies like Marzipan Cherries, truffles and more, and topped with a little glass bowl of Grand Passion Caviar. Later on they took it to another level with their $25,000 Frrrozen Haute Chocolate, which is made from different types of cocoa and other ingredients from around the globe.

Sources:

Home

http://www.yelp.com/biz/serendipity-3-new-york

http://www.ice-cream-recipes.com/ice_cream_sundae_best.htm

4. Qin Lin says:

Ripley’s ey’s Believe It or Not! Times Square invites guests of all ages to experience the unbelievable mysteries of our world. It located in Time Squares 42 street. In this museum, there are many exhibits of random and interesting things in the world.
    I choose this me swum because I love anything on theweird,macabre and strange side. In the museum, people can spend time with so many interesting things such as the tallest man in the world, happy Buddha and a man who had two tongues and neck coils. This museum attracts those who are interesting wired, scared and fun stuff. Since this museum is located in Time Square, it has a lot of tourists. This attraction is unique in New York. I went to Ripley’s Believe It or Not with my friend last week. The place was interesting. Gave people a lot of history on Ripley himself and very interesting facts and pictures of people and strange things. The staff here is very friendly and helpful. Had no problem getting our tickets and went inside. Also, The staff who work there are pretty nice, and really friendly. they look like they really enjoy working there. This museum have this dark room with a screen that projects your body outline in different colors. They have music playing at the same time, so you can just have a dance party in there. Around midnight, not many people are coming through, but earlier in the day, you can’t really stay in this room very long since there are people waiting to come in behind you. They also had an interactive screen where you could take a picture of yourself, see yourself as a “shunken head” and email the picture to yourself. I think this was more fun than the wax museum because all the exhibits were interesting, many of them are interactive. I spent about two hours in this place, playing with everything, touching everything, reading everything and analyzing everything. My suggestion is to really take your time, if you walk too fast you will miss some stuffs. Times Square is known for the place where tourists always go. This museum is right next to Madame Tussaud’s which is a huge New York City Attarction. Once you walk into Ripley’s Believe It or Not, you will be shock when you see all of the things.
    New York City is known for a big apple. The fact of the Ripley’s Believe It or Not is a fun mesuem. It attracts those who are into wired stuff. It is located in Time Square because it can attract many tourists. The significance in this mesuem is to show us another side of the world that many things don’t believe until people see this mesuem. It wasa very cool experience here. I enjoyed walking through the exhibits. There are a bunch of unbelievable facts and stories in the Ripley’s Believe It or Not.

5. Alambert says:

Aliyyaa Lambert
    NYC Attraction Assignment -The Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture
    Professor: John Akana
    HMGT 1101
    November 21st, 2015

For my NYC Attraction, I decided to visit the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture in Harlem, a historically black neighborhood. This is study center as well as a library, gift shop and included prevalent museum exhibits. I was excited to come here because I am a young African American woman who wants to know as much about my culture as I possible I can. I also wondered how the owners and employees went about expressing black culture to diverse audiences. I knew the Schomburg Center had held a significance in New York by hearing reviews from friends and family who’ve been there. Once I went there myself I gathered a much greater insight on why.

When I first arrived through the doors of The Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture I was immediately greeted the minute my foot hit the threshold. An older man asked me how I was doing and then asked me if I was looking for any place in particular. I told him I was writing a paper about the site and just wanted to look around and possibly take some pictures. He said sure and then directed to a lady in area where coats and bags were held. From there she told me about everything that was happening in the center. She told me there are two exhibits showing called Unveiling Visions: The Alchemy of Black Imagination and Black Suburbia: From Levittown to Ferguson. Once I checked in my coat I immediately made a bee line towards the Unveiling Visions exhibit since it was closest and was in awe the second I saw the pink walls and colorful hues decorated all around. This exhibit was about Afro- Futurism and black narratives in science fiction. Reading the introduction on the walls it told its readers how rare it is to see African Americans or people of color in general associated with anything magical or otherworldly. Often people of color are stuck in harsh realities and don’t have the privilege to see themselves in entertainment as anything but characters with negative portrayals and stereotypes. Here in the exhibit I seen it all. There were paintings on the walls with black people as mermaids, wizards, superheroes, centaurs, fairies, aliens, witches, gods and goddesses. There were black people who had powers such as being able to control fire, stop time and speak to animals. It also gave honor to actors and artist that paved the way for black people in science fiction like Nichelle Nichols who was the first black woman on major television not playing a servant. Appreciation was given to celebrities such as Janelle Monae, Erykah Badu and the makers of the classic film Eve’s Bayou, a tale of voodoo magic, family and coming to age in New Orleans.

A section deeper into the display room was dedicated to social justice. There were drawings and writings about oppressed people fighting back against racism, sexism etc. – with their super powers. One that struck a chord with me was a cartoon called “Attack of the 14 Year old Black Girl” about the real life incident where an innocent teenaged girl Dajerria Becton was assaulted by a police officer as well as had a gun aimed at her and friends caught on camera in the early summer of 2015. In this cartoon Dajerria grows into a super-giant where she can protect her friends and finally get justice for all those who face racism by police officers in her neighborhood. This nearly made me cry. It was a difficult to watch the video when it went viral online and it made me think of all the black girls/people who have been victims of police brutality time and time and time again. The cartoon gave me comfort and a sense of company, in knowing that I wasn’t alone in my feelings involving that incident. The exhibit in all was an influential, magical experience really. I thought of the young children of color who don’t imagine themselves in in enchanted, galactic and (or) supernatural worlds because they honestly believe it isn’t meant for people who look like them. I thought about how much exhibits like this can build the confidence of black youth and how much science fiction and can show them how capable, powerful and resilient they can be. Up until that very moment I have never in my entire life seen black people depicted like so apart from the very infrequent occurrences on tv & film. This exhibit is important for that reason.

After Unveiling Visions I took a walk around the libraries and gift shop before I went to the next exhibit. In the library, there were many people quiet, either reading or searching through newspapers that were decades old. I wandered around looking at the framed paintings hanged up. There was ones of black people dancing by the night’s ocean and others of African patterns and prominent figures in history like John H. Clark and Malcolm X. I saw even more familiar figures in the gift shop which was like a wonderland come to life. There were so many books I was aching to read. These included Shake Loose My Skin by Sonia Sanchez, Not Without Laughter by Langston Hughes, The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison, AYA children’s books and the new popular novel Between the World and Me by Ta-Neishi Coates. I saw decorations for Kwanzaa, a holiday I celebrated since birth. It felt warm to be able to relate so much. There were also huge posters for sale of Billie Holiday, Huey Newton, Thurgood Marshall Angela Davis, Maya Angelou, Eartha Kitt, Richard Pryor, Dorothy Dandridge and John Coltrane. A large copy of the famous photograph “A Great Day In Harlem” framed in gold sat on a bookcase for about $30. I always wanted to have that photo of some of the greatest jazz musicians in Harlem up on my bedroom walls. I promised myself to buy it next time.

Lastly, I went to Black Suburbia: From Levittown to Ferguson exhibit. When I got to the second floor where is was located there was a woman seemingly around my age that greeted me and told me to come right in with such a welcoming, sweet voice. When I did I instantly knew this was an exhibit that was conquering the stereotypes and misunderstandings that all black people live or are from “the ghetto” In this exhibit they spoke on the first black people to in early 1900’s to break molds by moving into the predominately white, affluent neighborhoods and all the discrimination and terrorism that they endure because of it. The articles throughout the exhibit communicated that this kind of terrorism towards black people in suburbia continues with incidents such as the Ferguson protests that resulted from the death of Mike Brown. Quotes were placed around by the real estate developers who revealed that selling homes to black people where dangerous for their careers. One man, William Levitt expressed “I have come to know that if we sell one house to a Negro family, the 90 or 95 percent of our white customers will not buy into the community. That is their attitude, not ours.” It was heartbreaking to read. Even more so that people of color still struggle to own their own property (more difficult to be approved for home loans) to this day because of the color of their skin. In a small corner was a video playing, a black and white 50’s documentary playing that interviewed white people. The interviewer asked in how they felt of “negro people” moving into their neighborhood. Surprisingly, many white people of the time were okay with it and thought it was about time for a change. I wasn’t shocked however that several were opposed and felt they were superior and rather not associate with those they felt were below them. In many sections there were facts displayed that I never read before. One about how there was an actual law passed (The Federal Housing Administration Act) that explicitly refused to give loans to black Americans in fear they would move in to areas where whites lived. This prevented black people from investing their money in efficient way and building futures for their families. It ruined many lives and black businesses to this very day involving property and home ownership. In the exhibit they also spoke on black neighborhoods that were once black and successful like Compton but have fallen do to drugs and violence and others that are still extremely prosperous like Baldwin Hills, California that are only a few miles from one another. I saw and learned so much from this exhibit and can talk about how eye-opening it is forever but overall I can say that it broke down many stereotypes of black life and showed that the success of black people was no easy feat and how many lives and dreams were sacrificed in the process. This made me grateful for all I have and have been given because of my ancestors before me.

I wasn’t absolutely sure on what to expect when going to Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture but afterwards I knew it was an informative experience, giving me knowledge I can share with others. It is obvious the demographic is African Americans or people of African descent but the establishment is open to people of all walks of life to understand the culture and history. While I was there I actually did see other races of people exploring as I was. As far as any comments on improvements that need to be made, I have none. I loved every moment of it and my only criticism is that I wished they’d had more exhibits I could discover. The Schomburg Center is such a significant attraction in New York City because it is one of the few places where black Americans can speak about issues that impact them without being dismissed or silenced. It is considered a safe space, a space where race is not a scary topic to talk about but a conversation that is desperately needed and actually happens. It tells the raw truth that tourist or locals might not have the opportunity to hear and see had they visited anywhere else.

6. J.Sosa says:

New York City Attraction Assignment- New York Transit Museum

York City composed of 5 boroughs is known as the city that never sleeps. Vibrant with so many places to go for entertainment, dine, shop, universities, and full of business life and centers. So what is an important fundamental key to make this possible? Transportation. The city of New York can be sighted at many times with a high volume of automobiles congestion. The city has many different levels of income families. So how is it possible then for low or middle class families/ people to travel around in this fast paced city when their budgets night not afford them to be a vehicle owner. Even people who might be on good financial conditions to buy a car, what might their options be if they do not wish to bother with the crazy traffic. Also NYC has such a high population. How would it be possible for everybody to fit onto the roads even if they could all afford cars and insurances when the streets are already congested enough at many times whether it be personal cars, school buses, trucks, buses, taxis, etc. That’s where the NYC transit come into the picture and is so essential to New Yorkers.
    The New York transit museum is a museum that archives, displays, preserves and holds treasurable memories, data and artifacts of the history of the transit system. It is so significant to New York because it provides us with the history and construction of the transit system that is used daily in our lives dating all the way back to the early 1900’s in the 20th century. It began as a private subway line before the city government took over. On March 24, 1900 it was decided upon its construction. At that beginning stage of its construction it was also so significant to the people then because from the 1920’s to the 1925’s it employed more than 30,000 men for its construction. This museum is unique because it is the only one its kind in NYC. It is the only museum that holds artifacts, and data of the transit system. o is so unique because it actually houses old train models which visitors can actually board to see and get a feeling of what it was like to ride on these old style trains. The trains are stationed on two tracks. The train is then composed with each cart featuring a different year model and décor. Even included in the décor in each cart is old advertisement posters and subway maps from those years. Each cart is different from its décor to its seats. There is also a model of the motor truck which basically is the power of the train, it is the wheels, axles, electric motor and braking system. The museum also explains about the stages of construction it went through, the salary paid to the workers then, the different types of payment methods and its changes. For example it first began with using tickets collected by an agent at entry in order to be able to use the train, then came the electric turnstiles in which it was coin operated and then to the currently used model of the automatic fare card turnstile. The target demographic for this museum is tourist, New Yorkers, historians. Tourist want to see the background of the train system as many of them come from states where there is no train transportation and if there is, it is not a common staple like here in NY. New Yorkers are curious to know more about the history of the New York Transit System we use as a reliable source of transportation in our daily lives. Historians are interested because it shows a glimpse not only of its construction but also of what life was like years ago. Important events surrounding those years for example the migration of many immigrants to New York during that time and the formation of the transport workers union. Children are also drawn to this museum because of the old model style trains on display which they can board.
    The probability that I visited the museum on a late Sunday afternoon might account for the little interaction with the museum staff. Basically at the entrance there is a guard. The ticket booth person was courteous but once you pass the entrance there is no more sign of staff or service. You are basically on your own after that, which I personally prefer. On the lower level there is another guard on watch, It was very nice and helpful though that on the intercom speaker they announce and make aware to the visitors of approaching closing time half hour and fifteen minutes prior to closing time.

7. Krystal says:

The Whitney Museum Of American Art
    Prof: John Akana
    Hgmt 1101
    November 22, 2015

New York the melting pot of the world, cultures mixed and intertwined with one another. Different foods, flavors, music, art, and styles come together to make up this wonderful exotic city that I live in.

The Whitney Museum of American Art started off in 1918 by the founder Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, the original art show space was on West 8th street and fifth avenue, it was a small location with approximately 700 works of art that Whitney had collected. Today newest location on 99 Gansevoort street in the Meat Packing District of New York holds up to 21,000 pieces of art. This museum is significant to the culture of New York because the art collection at this museum tells the story of American culture throughout time and just like New York the Whitney Museum has art that signifies peoples lives from different cultures throughout the world. Everything from the earliest of the 20th century to the most modern of art collection is displayed in this intricate and beautiful museum.

I am a huge fan of art, so I figured why not go to the museum that is bringing such an uproar in the city lately. The structure of the building outside is absolutely spectacular so I was instantly blown away. The first exhibition of art collection on the 5th floor was the collection of modern art and as soon as the elevators doors open you are instantly welcomed by an extraordinary art mural which is approximately 18 ft in length, bright, bold, colorful, and full of life, it’s a piece that is truly astounding.

Aside from many paintings held up throughout the museum, the sculptures are equally as breath taking, but the most beautiful thing of all I must say is the view outside while the sun sets. This museum definitely has the best view in the neighborhood, along with the view they have huge pieces of art displayed outside standing at 12 ft tall.

This museum is a most go to if you are into modern art it is truly a beautiful insightful place, after my visit I understood why this museum was so spoken of. It’s a wonderful experience, it depicts the culture of America and the important times that have happened through history, all from the Jazz age to the retro art that is being made now by artists. I highly recommend this museum.

8. mtaveras says:

NYC Attraction Assignment
    Miriam Taveras
    Professor John Akana
    HGMT-1101
    November. 22, 2015

Being a New Yorker you think you have seen all you can see and experience all you can experience. That is far from the truth and picking one attraction was actually the hardest part of this assignment because there are so many to choose from. I visit the Guggenheim Museum on 89 street and 5th avenue, A cross the street from one of the largest most famous parks in the world. Coincidentally, I was abled to visit two NYC attractions with out even trying. That’s just how wonderful New York City is.
    The significance of this internationally renowned art museum and on of the most significant architectural icons of the 20th century, The Guggenheim Museum is at once a vital culture center established in 1937, built in 1959, an educational institution. A building that is a first of its kind to have such a structure. It’s an architectural landmark building that the late Frank Loyd Write had created. What makes this attraction unique is that its design is one of its kind, with its domed skylight it continues to thrill visitors and provide a unique forum for the presentation of contemporary art.
    The target demographic are Tourist and Art enthusiast. With its different collections and different types of arts I believe there is a piece of art, of life for everyone. I had seen a couple of pieces that I fell in love with and would love to see on my wall. Although the art that is out isn’t for every one…very dark…doomed…and whatever you interpret what you actually see. Some of the pieces you might not think took long to create but if you can look past the simplicity you can even learn more about yourself and what you are into. It is the permanent home of expanding collections, collections of impressionist and post-impressionist
    Examples of hospitality that I witnessed were when the guards in the front greeted us and were very welcoming. The museum had housekeepers on each floor making sure the museum is very clean. Over all I had a good experience in the museum. The areas of improvement I found is that some of the guards that I know are here trying to do their job, but was not making sense following us cause we had or cameras out. He could of told me no pictures of the dome which I understood, but he kept following us…not good at all!
    Will I come to this museum again?!, definitely, I been twice and both times I loved it! When the art is changed once again I will go. I took pictures of the art this past time so I can actually look for something similar that I can afford. This museum is definitely for people my age that have an appreciation for art and for tourist that want to be in a landmark building from the early 1950’s and not to mention the art enthusiast that are studying art and getting inspiration from this phenomenal building.

9. Jmora97 says:

Jaymie Mora
    NYC Attraction Assignment – The Hall of Science
    Professor John Akana
    Hgmt 1101
    November 22, 2015

The significance of the Hall of science to the culture of New York is to explain science, math, engineering, and technology. The Hall of Science was established at the 1964 World’s fair in Flushing Meadows Corona Park and has advanced into New York’s center for interactive science, serving a huge quantity of teachers, students, and families every year. At the time, the Hall of Science was one of the only science museums in existence. The stability and growth to attract crowds weren’t expected and led to the city’s strive toward further funds as well as expansion. In recognition of continuous upgrades, the Hall of Science was allowed the distinction only given to a restricted number of organizations, which was a New York City cultural institution.

Physicist Alan Friedman was hired by New York City in 1984 to assist with the transition of The Hall of Science. He managed the alteration from a focal point on science fiction to relevancy in the lives of everyday individuals. There was a certain point in time where the Hall of Science supplied a training program for science majors; who could go on to study under a tuition waiver program at Queens College which was nearby, in interchange for committing to disburse a minimum of 2 years in city schools that required science educators. Today the Hall of Science is known to be New York City’s only technology and hands-on science center.

The employees that work at the Hall of Science make sure that your first time visiting is the best experience you can have at any science museum in New York. They explain what each station is, how it functions, and what you do to get a better look at it.The employees explain every detail step by step and even give examples of what to do at each station. There’re even playgrounds, building activities, and theaters to participate in. Some of the building activities include creating shelter if you were stuck stranded somewhere and how to create ways of communication.

The target demographic of the New York Hall of Science are students, teachers, and families. Anyone interested in science, technology, engineering, and math would be interested in spending a day here. It’s a great way for people that learn better with a hands-on experience to go here for a day because you learn about topics from light to planets, to the way babies are born, to the way animals think in specific situations. Some of the stations even go from bacteria to various animal’s ways of life.

Areas of hospitality I witnessed was the front desk when we walked in where we paid for admissions to go in and got the information we needed and the map to show us what was located on each floor. Another act of hospitality I noticed was when one of the employees noticed someone requiring assistance, they were quick to give it with no hesitation, as it should be. The employees make sure that you comprehend what each station does and helps you establish the ways to approach the stations. I also saw customer service beside the front desk, where an employee would take your coats or strollers and keep them until you were ready to leave. The Hall of Science also has a dining area for individuals and/or families to enjoy a food break from all of the fun and excitement surrounded in this building.

There are plaques that help describe what the topic of the station belongs to, what it refers to, how to utilize it, and what to look for throughout the individual’s’ experience of the station. There’s even a theater on the top floor that plays movies based on many different topics within science. From learning about the beginning of science, math, engineering and technology to how it has evolved today is included in the Hall of Science.

10. ANGELA says:

New York city is a big mixing bowl of culture, and when cultures mix so does food. The most historical food place in New York city would be chelsea market. It is where the old meatpacking district was located. The Market is a block wide and a block long, it’s steps away from the hudson river. The market was started by local indigenous people of the Algonquin tribe. The Algonquin tribe would sell and trade crops and other goods on the very spot where the building stand. Now it attracts 6 million people annually domestically and internationally. It is a must go to when visiting New York city.

The market started off in 1890 when the New York biscuit company build a six storey bakery. The market has since undergone many reconstructions by Albert G. Zimmerman. In 1912 an incredible invention changed the New York biscuit company, the home to the one and only oreo cookie. Invited, created, mass produced, and sold at chelsea market. The market didn’t really start to develop until the 1990s. Irwin B. Cohen came up with the idea to turn the factory into a market place. Throughout the late 1990s restaurants began to spring up inside the market. In 2001 the Oxygen Network moved into the chelsea market after the 9/11 tragedy that knocked them off the air. In 2004 chef Emeril started to film his show inside the market bringing attention to the market. Throughout the 2000s iron chef Masaharu Morimoto opened up his sushi restaurant Sushi Joint. Iron chef Mario Batali later also opened up his italian restaurant Del Posto inside the market. The food network also have it’s suditos stationed there.

The market houses 35 vendors selling everything from seafood, books, kitchen supply, fresh produce, clothing, and many other goods. The building inside still have its historical walls and flooring throughout the building.The doors are always jammed packed with people going in and out. There are people of all age groups and ethnicity roaming around. People are there with families, girlfriend/ boyfriend, parents, and students. Long queues for restaurants are very common, but the lines move fast. Inside there is a bakery with windows so passersby people can see the baking process. The air is filled with the rich aroma of fresh baked bread, cake, roast meat, and pizza. There is a bookstore in the middle of the market shelving a huge collection of cook books. After the visit at the bookstore the kitchen appliance store is steps away. They sell almost every essential kitchen appliance. From tableware, cookware, knife sets, baking uncles, and right outside you can get your knife sharpened for cheap. There are shoe shining stations in corners of the market. People sitting in the middle of the floor meditating. Walking might be a little bit difficult due to the amount of people inside the market. Everyone is inching every step like a penguin, it’s not until the mid section of the market that it clears up a bit. The seafood market is remarkable. They have all types of fish and eating stations right in the middle of it. Selling fresh uni (sea urchin), crab legs, freshly shucked oysters, and cocktail shrimp. People huddle to the bar tables and point at which piece of seafood they want. The price is a bit pricey, but considering the freshness of the seafood it’s very worth it. The market has recently housed a few clothing stores, and to my surprise a moroccan theme stand. The stand is like a little tent made with moroccan tapestry. Inside they have bags,rugs, clay pots, shoes, wallets, and many more.

The market is a must go to spot when visiting New York city. The customer service might not be the best in the world, but considering the amount of traffic they have compared to the workers that actually work there it is impossible for them to have anymore workers taking up space. I enjoyed my visit to the market, but unfortunately I didn’t get to try any of the food there. Someday I would love to revisit the market and try some of the food there.

work cities
    http://www.mercedeshouseny.com/blog/chelsea-market-history/
    http://chelseamarket.com/index.php/About/contact/about-chelsea-market

11. JcabreraIII says:

Jose Cabrera
    NYC Attraction Assignment
    11/22/15
    Class Number: E500

New York City as some people call it is “The City That Never Sleeps.” One of the most notorious attractions in New York City is Coney Island. Coney Island is located in the borough of Brooklyn on 1208 Surf Avenue. Coney Island is also called “Luna Park.” The place is worth the time and money because of its amusement and attractions. The park as well has a beach, an aquarium, and famous boardwalk of restaurants, bars, games, and more. I took a visit and a lot has changed from the rides to the boardwalk sights and restaurants. The park is more diverse with different cultures, foods, and activities to play for people of all ages.

The significance that Coney Island has on New York is the amusement for tourists and visitors such as families and couples, even individuals because of the variety of fun from the rides to the restaurants and to the side-show activity centers. Coney Island was founded in 1980 by Costa Mantis, Jane Savitt-Tennen, and Dick D. Zigun. Coney Island and it’s founder wanted to preserve and champion a set of unique american visual and performing art forms for cultural diversity to see the wonders of live art and spirit. This attraction has so much to offer from small museums that show amazing art like the Coney Island Museum from the visual arts like Fireworks, Mermaid Parade, and Circus Sideshow. This is all for the fun and amusement of tourists to have a great time while they are in New York City and the greatest part is the most significant piece of Coney Island is the boardwalk for it’s beautiful and extraordinary time of life when the sun goes down.

The target demographic Tourists and Families of all ages. Varieties and different activities for the ages for kids such as arcades, side-show booths, museums, the beach, the aquarium, and kiddie places to eat. For the teenagers and young adults are the rides in the park like the famous “Cyclone Rollercoaster,” the Aquarium, gaming areas and arcades, as well as the Museums around the complex. The older adults can hang out in the bars and do the activities and rides in the park as well with their families, and have the time of their life after dark on the boardwalk. The park is for the amusement of all families and individuals from different countries to enjoy themselves socially. There is nothing you wouldn’t be interested in during your visit at Coney Island because their mission is for the enjoyment and enthusiasm of everyone who visits their attractions no matter the age.

All of Coney Island or “Luna Park” consists of hospitality. From the people who control the rides and box-office for tickets for information and fun of the park. The variety of places to eat around the complex and it’s famous “Nathan’s Hot Dogs” that everyone enjoys. The museum have some tours and attractions like the circus. As well as the aquarium and the tours of the animals and gift shops. Everyone at Coney Island makes sure you have an enjoyable time and visit. Hospitality is all about providing care for people and mostly families attend the social interactions like the aquarium and rides, so it’s the job of the employees to make a good name and reputation for the Coney Island because since the remodel of Sandy, they out did themselves by adding new attractions and more over time as possible for a return visit.

Since I visited there when I was I kid and still to the present day, Coney Island is like a historic landmark in my eyes for the enjoyment and activities it offers. They always try to add something new and different to attract the eyes of the people and do an amazing job at it. I can’t wait until they add another one, hopefully soon because they never seem to disappoint their guests.

12. Genmy Chan says:

NYC Attraction Assignment – Luna Park (Coney Island)
    Genmy Chan
    HMGT 1101 E500
    Professor John Akana
    November 23, 2015

Coney Island has three original large amusement parks, Luna Park, Steeplechase Park, Dreamland and many other small amusement parks. Luna Park is still here as a new Luna Park, Steeplechase Park is still here somewhat whereas Dreamland isn’t here anymore. But in my attraction assignment, I’m only going to focus on Luna Park since that’s where I went to and chose.

The original Luna Park first opened up in 1903, not talking about any other parks that opened in Coney Island, just Luna Park. It was a huge tourist attraction site for amusements for everybody, inside the country and outside the country. It was a place for people to relax and enjoy at. There wasn’t any games or any fun times to do in the 1900s but amusement parks such as Luna Park that opened has created fun for people and help them get away from their stressful lives momentarily. Sadly though, the original Luna Park had so much fun but it was shut down in 1946; destroyed by flames.

Joyfully though, a new Luna Park was reborn at 2010. It is consisted of many organizations and corporations that has joined together to help and revitalize it to get it back to operational status. Luna Park’s importance is very important since it has so much history in Coney Island and perhaps the only park whose name still stands in Coney Island from all the way back in the 1900s of the originals. The newly stand Luna Park is owned by CAI (Central Amusement International) Park. Many places in Coney Island are either owned by CAI or has joined them somewhat, such as through contracts.

From my visit to Luna Park, even though most of the park of the original is not here anymore but there are still some core features of it that is still here today. Such as the thunderbolt and cyclone roller coasters, the beach is still here of course, near boardwalk. The entrance gates and its logos are still here as well. Parts of the original Steeplechase Park are now part of the new Luna Park, such as the Parachute Jump tower and the B&B Carousel.

A lot of people there looks really happy or just amused. The guest service or customers handling, they don’t look very professional since when I went there, I wasn’t really treated well when I only wanted to get some tickets or a bracelet. Well actually, the guy at the desk or behind the glass was falling asleep when I came to visit. As much as I want to wake him up, as soon as he wakes up, he didn’t gave me a good attitude and just ignored me afterward. So much as me to wonder around the park without trying out any of the features of the park, I only explored by just walking around.

People screams while riding those tall roller coasters, people laughs while eating, drinking and watching. I see people rushing left and right for certain places such as the kiosks operating at the place. Foods selling places, such as the hot dog stands at the park. People are happy to enjoy these things during the free times of the season.

A lot of different hospitality in here though. If you seem lost at the place, eventually somebody will come to your aid and ask if you need help. If an employee doesn’t smile or has a frown face on, usually this can impact guests’ experiences at the place such as to what kind of happened to me. But it’s still a great experience.

From what I’ve experienced and seen, a lot of people says Luna Park has good customer services but from people I’ve known who worked there says that it’s not a great place to work at. I’ve once worked at a place that’s not part of Luna Park but is still considered to be part of CAI Park which is technically the same thing as the former. And I can totally relate as I feel that it’s not really a great place to work at due to how tight schedules are and some mistreatment around. Most of the employees who works at the park are grown teenagers or in the 20s like around age 16 to 28s, I think from what I’ve can tell or spoke to; mostly young adults who works there.
    But overall it has great attentions and attractions along with some good customer services’ handling. It certainly has that thing that can attract returning customers.

I was told that Luna Park only operates seasonally now and that it only opens from around March to the end of October. During the off-season, everything in the park are closed and will take the time to improve, upgrade, repair everything and/or add something new for the next upcoming season in the following year. Although I’ve heard some rumors from the employees that says that the Park opens at special occasions during the winter season but when I try to confirm this to a higher leveled staff, they say that this isn’t true. Regardless though it’s still nice that they take the time off in the long off-season break to improve their services or try to add something new so no accidents happens and so that they can attract more tourists and customers to come to them. If you want to pay a visit to Luna Park right now, sad to say that it’s currently closed. But afraid not as it’ll be open again in next year season, sometime within March or April as I’ve been told!

13. New York City has much to offer and there is a lot to see; but it seems as though when people come to the city they stay away from the little treasures that make New York City what it is. To many people when they think of an Attraction they would think of Museums, Monument and park but to me that isn’t the true definition of the location. It’s the small side street, the people and the food, and in New York there is no limit to the cuisine that you can find in this melting pot that is home to many.
    Baohuas located on 14th street and 3rd avenue on the Lower East side is a quaint location that serves its customers in the matter of seconds. When in Baohuas the close intimate structure reminds me of Naruto Raman on 89th and 3rd. Baohaus give people the chance to try a classic Bao with a twist. The food although it’s about fist size pack a mighty punch when balancing sweet, spicy, and savory. Given the location and the type of vide that Baohaus gives off the target demographic can range from those who like Hip Hop to those who interested in Asian cuisine. The people that work there are friendly and seem very family-like. Baohaus offer five different bao that range from $3.55-$7.55 with their most traditional bao (The Chairman bao) being the most popular. They also offer rice bowls and other food options.
    When I ask one of the patrons at Baohaus what she though this is what she had to say, “They offer a variety of food and give you a cultural experience in terms of the food because the music is American Hip Hop. What makes Baohaus unique are flavors and the intimacy, I think that most of the people that come here are those who have the munchies of a hangover (laughs). There service is quick and they the worker are nice. They should have a loyalty card (laughs) there are a lot of people that come here a lot.”
    I even asked one of the workers what she though and she went on to say, “ The people what work here want to be here it’s not like other places were you don’t want to come to work; we genuinely want to be here. What make Baohaus what it is, is its originality; New York has lost so much of that and has become this go with the flow kind of thing and that’s not New York, New York has become frantic because of the economy and has lost what make New York what it is. Baohaus is a down to earth place and when little things go work we don’t lose our heads we deal with the shit like New Yorkers do. Eddie is a young guy and because of our location we attract people between the ages of 18-35. I’m not going to say that we are a kid friendly place because we aren’t; we’re a little raunchy and grimy but that’s what Baohaus what it is.”
    Place like Baohaus are sometimes looked over by people that visit the city but they are the best places to get to know what the city is like.

14. BrittanyP says:

Brittany Petersen
    HMGT 1101 Perspectives in Hospitality
    NYC Attractions Assignment

Harlem, 125th street, you exit any train station and you can expect to see anything. Guys on every corner selling anything from hats and scarves, dvd’s, makeup and even perfume. There’s different food trucks, there’s African women who boldly approach you in hopes of persuading you to come with them to get your hair done. 125th is a busy place to be, that’s why New York is called the city that never sleeps. If you’re from a small town, or just anywhere from around the world making it to New York is a big deal! It’s such a fast past city with many different opportunities.
    Formerly known as the “Hurtig and Seamon’s New Burlesque Theater” way back in 1913, designed by George Keister, this theater that held over 1,400 people was once a “whites only” place. In 1934 this same theater became the “Apollo Theater” for the black patrons of Harlem, New York. The stage at the Apollo became home to many different acts and talents. Bands such as the Duke Ellington band, Chick Webb, dance acts like the Nicholas brothers, The Berry Brothers. Gospel acts such as the Staple Singers, The Clark Sisters, and Sam Cooke. Soul Music like Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, and Otis Redding. Comics, Bill Cosby, Redd Foxx, Richard Pryor just to name a few of the performers of the many different elements of talent that has graced that staged, some even got their big break from that very stage. What started out as a venue to serve the black community soon turned into a venue for both the whites and blacks. With so much talent it was absurd to think that it can all be contained to one race. Now when you think of the Hip Hop American culture the place that comes to mind is the Apollo Theater. The Apollo was a destination for all things music and entertainment. No matter the race, creed, or color if you wanted to be in the music industry hitting the main stage of the Apollo was a symbol that you have made it. Once you performed in front of the rawest crowd, a crowd that held no punches. I mean if your performance was anything but great the audience would tell you. Also known for having the “sandman” a tap dancer that will find a comical way to get you off the stage once the audience starts to “boo”. The Apollo was and still is the place where many different people from all over go to show case their talents.
    Here we are in 2015 where the target demographic is basically anyone into entertainment whether it be dance, music, ballet, etc. anyone is welcomed to the Apollo. Like many establishments your staff may not always be at their 100% as far as hospitality is concerned. My visit to this NYC landmark was well worth the trip. My first interaction with anyone from that staff was my over the phone conversation, I called in to inquire about a few upcoming events. The lady that I spoke to was well mannered, and tried her best to answer any question that I had ask. Even though I could have easily looked up all the information up online, like it originally did, I also chose to call just to see if they can give any valuable and informative information. Being a hospitality Major you realize that a customer’s first impression happens way before they step foot on your establishment. She even suggested some places I can visit after the show if I wanted to grab a quick bite to eat or have a sit down dinner at a nearby restaurant with good food and drinks.
    Upon arrival there was a line out because that night had been amateur night, by the time I got up to the ticket booth I could tell that this employee wasn’t having the greatest of days, although she tried to hide it and just continue on with her job. I don’t really have an negative complaints about the staff that handles the tickets and the ushers because even though some of them seemed to be agitated they held it together at least long enough to get through the shift, my negative feedback would primarily be about the about be with the employees who work the concession stand. They didn’t hide their frustrations at all. But the customers didn’t make it any easier on them either. That’s brings me to my second big negative factor, the people that were there, the audience. I know one of the things that people like about the Apollo is the sense of being free and being able to express yourself but even some of the acts that weren’t that great I personally fell like the audience could have toned down their harshness a bit. Overall my experience went well, I have always said I wanted to go to the Apollo and because of this assignment I finally made it and I would definitely be going again.

15. JarnelleF says:

Jarnelle Foucault
    NYC Attraction Assignment – New York City Public Library
    Professor John Akana
    HMGT
    November 23,2015

New York City has some of the most iconic attractions from Central Park to Times Square. Then, there are some attractions that might not get as much publicity but, are still attractions that you should visit. One of these is the NYC Public Library. I picked the NYC Public Library as my attraction because I wanted to chose someplace that I never been before before and the fact that I love to read. I remembered as a kid I use love going to my local library and borrowing so many books and DVDs that my parents had to give me a limit. So picking NYC Public Library was the perfect choice for me.
    NYC Public Library is the second largest library in the United States and the fourth the world. It opened on May 23, 1911 being the first truly open to the public library. A little history behind the location of the library is the it first use to be cemetary for the poor, then it became a battlefield, later it became the city’s water reserva but, the city soon outgrown it. Wealthy men like John Jacob Astor, and Joseph Cogswell decided that the city needed a library and so the NYC Library was built, and it was really a gift for all who live and visit the city.
    When I first visited the library the first thing you noticed was the front lobby which is called the Astor building and it’s made entirely out of marble. I went to the information desk it ask what time was the free tour but, I apparently missed the 11am tour and I would have to wait till 2:30pm for the the next one, but, the women at the desk suggested I could take an audio tour which is head set and and small that watch as you walk around. I personally liked that better because that way I can take my sweet time and I don’t have to listen to silly questions from the other tourist. Furthermore, there is staff stationed at every corridor to direct you to the next location that the video is guiding you, which I really appreciated because I didn’t even have ask they just knew where I wanted to go. Also, was more than helpful and attentive when I asked any question.
    Another thing to notice when visiting the NYC Public Library is the amount of tourist. I seen people just walk on the steps in front of the building to take a picture of the with the library or the lions and just leave. And those who were inside literally took a picture next to everything which is the front area of the library but, as you go deeper inside you see a different type of group which I described as the locals. These are people who in the studies or research room with their laptops and ipads writing papers reading cause the live, work, or go to school around the area and personally if any those reasons applied to me I would come here too, to study because the environment is just perfect to sit and study for midterms write a paper or read the news. Also there are people that sit along the stairs with their coffees to just get out the cold. One of my personal favorites throughout the tour was the children’s area. It was basicly what your local library looks like but, there’s only children books and DVDs and it’s the only part of the library that you can actually take out books. In this area it was mostly nannies with their kids that they are watching a few parents, and grandparents without any kids taking out books and returning them. If I was a kid I can personally see myself there for hours, which is where I ended up staying while writing the outline for the paper.
    Another appreciation to have while touring the library is the the murals, pictures, portraits, paintings hung up all around the library. Most of them are originals and the each have a story that coincide with the library. For examples writers, and authors the have visited the library are on display, book authors, and historians, and people who contributed to the library are all on this play. Also the murals that are on the high ceiling are just breathtaking. And this brings up the fact that the NYC Library isn’t just a place to just read or write it’s also art, the pictures plus the building design is enough to bring people who have a passion for this come and visit.
    Once the tour was over I and I handed back my headphones I received a ten percent discount at the gift shop which I felt was a good business strategy to make people spend money because at the end of the day ten percent isn’t really that much but I still brought a bag. Also before you leave make sure to visit the the media where you can watch a 23 minute video that breaks down the different departments in the library. After all that you’re going to be tried because that was a lot information to take in and there are a lot a steps. After leaving as a new yorker it made me think about how this library is awesome and I’m just now visiting it. Historians, writers, author’s, readers from all over come to the NYC Public Library for inspiration, research,and information. But, when you come to New York who thinks about coming a library, it’s a real jem in this city because for place that’s so fast pace and modern it’s nice to visit somewhere you slow down a learn about the the old fashion days of New York. And the best place is that anyone can come and you could sitting next to the next bestselling author, so I’m definitely coming back.
    Lastly don’t forget to go on the library website to see what type activity the have because they have something different everyday for kids, teens, and adults. Some of these activities include shows, booking signings, computer introductions, readings, how- to demonstrations,and more. So, go visit NYC Public Library today.

16. robert cruz says:

Madison Square Garden where the most famous people and most elite perform. Why wouldn’t people want to come and witness greatness, so many greats have touches those floor and will continue to. It’s in the heart of the city surrounded by so many places to shop, eat and lay your head. Madison Square Garden is located in Midtown Manhattan between 7th and 8th Avenues from 31st to 33rd Streets. You can’t say you’re from New York if you’ve never been there, it’s just a part of our culture. New York is a very sports and music oriented state. Once you’ve performed or been to MSG, you know you’ve made it.
    Madison Square Garden is often known as “The Mecca”, “The Garden”, or “The World’s most famous arena” and is the home of the Knicks, Liberty, and the Rangers. The Garden is also used for boxing, concerts, ice shows, circuses, professional wrestling, and many other forms of entertainment. Madison Square Garden has seen its fair share of great moments. Like when Marciano defeated Louis in October 26th 1951 when Marciano ended the fight with laying Louis out through the ropes. Then history was then created when the Knicks won their first championship on May 8th 1970. Walt Frazier had 36pts, 19 assists, and 7 rebounds. The Knicks won 113-99. There are more monumental things that happened even in areas such as hockey. Even if you didn’t watch it you heard about Wayne Gretzky retiring April 18th 1999. He needed his career with 2,857 goals, setting the league record. All of those historic moments are examples of why people want to constantly go there. Nobody wants to miss the opportunity to witness history. People always want to feel important, like they helped in some way. Going to the Garden isn’t just something to do it’s an experience. All different kinds of people and things go on there on a daily basis. One of the biggest events to ever take place in the Garden, was Muhammad Ali vs Joe Frazierier 1 on March, 8, 1971. This fight was known as the fight of the century. Even the first Wrestle mania took place in the Garden in 1985.
    Madison Square Garden has also seen many great moments it the music industry and has held some of the most memorable benefit concerts. “The Concert for New York City” was hosted at Madison Square Garden following the devastation of September 11, 2001. That concert helped raise over 35 million dollars. On September, 20, 2005 the Garden hosted a benefit concert for Hurricane Katrina, just less than a month after New Orleans was devastated by the Hurricane. That concert raised about $9 million. “12.12.12” was the largest event ever staged at The Garden and that came in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. Over $50 million was raised during that concert.
    I remember the feeling I had the first time I ever stepped foot inside Madison Square Garden. After only seeing the Garden on Tv my whole life, I couldn’t wait until I was actually a part of the cheering crowd. My first time there and it didn’t disappoint. When I first walked in saw the thousands of other basketball fans, I knew that I was going to enjoy myself that night. The atmosphere in the building was amazing and the seats were very comfortable. There were thousands of screaming fans rooting for their team all night. Despite the losing effort of the New York Knicks, the fans never stop cheering. I have to say that attending a NBA game at Madison Square Garden was one of the best experiences of my life. I couldn’t wait until the next opportunity for me to attend another game in that venue.
    Since the creation of Madison Square Garden there have been of legendary moments and events that have taken place in that building. These moments along with its prime location in Times Square, have made the Garden one of New York City’s greatest attractions. If one wants to experience something great during their visit to New York City, they must attend an event at the world’s most famous arena. Whether that event is basketball game, a hockey game, or a concert, they will surely enjoy their self.

17. Melanie Santiago
    HMGT 1101
    Professor John Akana
    NYC Attraction
    November 23, 2015
    September 11th Memorial Museum

New York City is known as the capital of the world and has so much to offer to those of us who have the privilege of living here. But to those that come for just a limited amount of time brings an even bigger excitement. The five borough are recognized worldwide and have memorable landmarks. When you come to New York it is a hard experience to forget. From visiting the Yankee Stadium, or the Statue of Liberty and even Empire state building. One of the biggest tragedy that occurred in New York was 9/11. Until this day people are still damaged by the attack. In regards to the horrible experience, they created the 9/11 Memorial Museum.
    The 9/11 Museum was built to remember the victims of the attack. Not only for the September 11 attack but also when terrorist attacked on February 26, 1993. The event happened fourteen years ago, we still have victims and families who were directly affected by it. This event marked a before and after in New York. It ruined life of our people and the land of liberty. It is connected directly with New York and the heart of NY. Not only New Yorkers, but the world heard melts when they remember the catastrophe. It is a very painful topic but people want to know and learn about the infamous attack on the world trade center.
    The event took place more than ten years ago but it is still being brought up in the news, school or even casual conversations. The museum rose from the dust and the pieces of steel of what was left from the world trade center. What better place to build a monument to honor the lives of the people we lost. It is dedicated to the family members of the victims and also to the heroes who helped out. Imaging the moment is mind blowing but I can feel the pain and what it feels to suffer when I entered this museum. At the atmosphere was very peaceful.
    The target demographic was intended to bring a lot of tourists. This attack was known worldwide. So everyone around the world that gets a chance to travel to New York wants to know what the experience was. Every New Yorker and tourists of all ages would be delighted to visit this attraction that honors their heroes and citizen. Those who were not in the city at the time would be fascinated to come to this museum and a small taste what others did throughout the chaos. I am completely certain that those of us who were too young to remember will love the experience is memorial offers they should always keep in mind their history because it will also be part of their life in one way or another.
    From the moment I entered the museum I witnessed good hospitality from the people who worked there. The lady who sold me the tickets was pleasant to me, she did not seem as she was forced to do her job. When you first access in the museum you have to go through security check. While the process was going I observed the security guys guiding tourists, helping elderlies out and were friendly to me. I did not have nothing but a great experience the whole time I spent there. All the staff that I got to cross eyes with were really helpful. There were small groups of tourist all around the museum being guide and explained thoughtfully every piece in there. I would get close enough to hear and they would always give me a sincere smile and keep talking.
    For me being an immigrant and considerately new to the big apple I wanted to learn more about this event that meant so much to the people here. It is the first time I go to a museum and I don’t get tired to gathering information, of reading every article and listen to every audio. I visited each area of the museum and the whole experience was fascinating in a spotless environment. I strongly recommend everyone who has the opportunity to take a few hours and visit this beautiful place. It will leave you wanting to return.

18. Dashun Lin says:

New York City, the home to the Empire State Building, Times Square, Statue of Liberty, and other iconic sites, is a fast-paced, globally influential center of art, culture, fashion and finance. There are thousands of things to do in this massive city. It can range from visiting a museum to taking a walk on the Brooklyn Bridge (Thrastardottir). However, dinning in New York has always been very special to tourist coming from around the world. New York is the ultimate melting pot; cultures merged and developed an unique New York style excitements for people to experience. Out of the thousands of restaurant operating in New York City, Ninja New York, located in the heart of the Tribeca, downtown New York, is definitely a hidden gem. The restaurant not only marks its unique position in New York City, it created an amazing ambiance and certainly achieved unforgettable experiences for those that visited.
    The restaurant’s unique Ninja theme has contributed to its attraction. To start, the name, Ninja, reminded its customers of the secretive Japanese assassins hiding in the shadows. The restaurant has successfully transformed itself to give its customer the realistic sensations of being with the Ninjas. The restaurant is located near Downtown Chamber St with a very concealed entrance. Its unobtrusive appearance had fooled many customers to think that the entrance is just another apartment building. After entering, the kooky, dreary subterranean labyrinth almost seems better suited for coal mining than to dinning (Bruni). Soon later, a ninja escort appeared from the shadow, greeted the guests politely, introduced the restaurant, and showed the guests to their seating while passing though a long narrow tunnel.
    The dining experience was also up to par with the Ninja’s interior decoration. The menu is in form of an ancient scroll. The dishes were also related to the theme with names such as Katana and Ninja Star Martini. The embellishment for each dishes are also surprising; some dishes, such as the stake, will light up on fire while the Sashimi is placed on a plate that flowed on dry ice. Moreover, adding to the creative dining experiences, magicians dressed up as ninjas will appear and perform magic tricks. Furthermore, the staff members at table services are extremely affable and hospitable. They are very attentive with the customers needs.
    The demographic of Ninja New York’s target customers are people with more disposable income who are interested in trying unique dinning experience. Most customers visited Ninja are also interested in the Japanese cultures. Although the location of Ninja New York is secluded, it is, nevertheless, one of the busiest restaurant in New York City; for prime times, it is recommended to reserve two weeks in advance.
    The overall dinning experience in Ninja New York will definitely leave an unforgettable impression on tourists as well as local New Yorkers. The ambiance of the restaurant was unbeatable and the services provided were splendid. The only minor issue that can be improved is the extensive long wait. It is, however, recommended to make reservation before to ensure a table to participate in the mysterious Ninja restaurant.

19. SOUDKERK says:

New York City Attraction- Macy’s Herald Square
    Sindy Oudkerk
    Class Number E500

The State of New York is one of the most populous in the United States being a premier gateway for migration and a global power city. Macy’s Herald Square is located on Herald Square in Manhattan, New York City. Macy’s is the world’s largest department store. Herald Square has a huge clock that was put up in 1895. The Square has a little garden with trees, chairs, tables also free public facilities. The bell of the monument alarms every hour. The name of the monument is James Gordon.
    Macy’s Herald Square was built in 1902, the first build up to have a modern day escalator. Macy’s has a level of eleven (11) floors of the latest fashion for everyone including tourists. The building also includes restaurants and have exciting activities throughout the day.
    I visited the Macy’s Herald Square being greeted by barricades and police officers well armed with guns, this scared me.
    There are a lot of activities one of which include shopping. Visiting Macy’s Herald Square is more than a day’s job because there are so much for everyone to see. It’s the busiest store for many tourists and locals to visit. Every year Macy’s display many different animated objects at their windows contributing to the amusement of people of every cultural background aspect. Each Year they celebrate Thanksgiving with the biggest Macy’s parade. I did not experience any hospitality as I entered because the staff was more interested in selling their product than welcoming me into their environment. From what I have seen many tourists visit the Macy’s Herald Square. It has every item one would be interested in and also at a reasonable price. They offer a variety of services that include restaurants, personal shopper, maternity, visitor services and a wedding gift registry.
    I am not familiar with New York City and its attractions but as time progresses I gain more knowledge about it and the people within.

20. wendilyn says:

For my attraction I went to the bronx zoo in the bronx. I can’t remember when was the last time I went but going again reminded me how much I loved It. It opened in 1899 and is one of the largest wildlife parks in the U.S. It houses over 4,000 animals and has around 650 different species. Ranging from lions and zebras to polar bears and even a snow leopard. what’s so amazing about this zoo is how many things they have to offer. For example you can stay in the park overnights and have a specific theme like safari. they have a 4-d theater, a bug themed carousel, you can even feed the penguins and sea lions. There are also different types of tours that you can pay for. this zoo is very family friendly. It’s mostly for kids that’s either want to learn more about wildlife or they actually want a career in taking care of animals. The staff is also amazing. they know everything there is to know about the zoo and animals. Since it’s such a big park they actually have people with a sign that says “any questions? ask me!” and you can go up to them and ask them anything. They are all super nice and friendly and would do anything to help you with whatever you need. There is also plenty of places to buy food but if you don’t want to waste money you can bring food into the park.

21. Jason Xie says:

In New York City, there are many great tourist attractions which can appeal to different peoples taste. In New York City there are many places to explore which include museums, art galleries, parks, sports arenas, restaurants and some many more. Many attraction sites in New York City demographic targets are everyone and anyone. In New York City there are many culture mixed in the people in New York City therefore which makes New York City a very diverse place. Many attractions have cultural assortment reflects the cultural diversity in New York City because of the cultural diversity of the art in the museum. The museum that I choose is the Metropolitan Museum of Art which is located on 5th Avenue. The Metropolitan Museum is unique because it is one of the world’s largest art galleries. It has over two million works throughout the museum. Inside the museum I saw many exhibits which included statues, paintings, pottery, and many other artifacts. The museum was also very big so getting around was a bit confusing. There were many employees who helped people find their way around the museum. The employees that I spoke with were also very kind and informative. They gave me very specific directions when I asked them for directions. The people who were at the front desk who gave me the pass to enter were also very nice.

22. RRivera says:

Within New York City we have many attractions to offer all visitors and New Yorkers. The Barclays Center is one of the more recent attractions to be added to the list with its opening debut in 2012. The arena is home to the New York Nets, and the New York Islanders moved just this year as well. As Brooklyn continues to grow and transform the Barclays Center gave us a new local attraction to bring more excitement to our borough. This brings a huge significance to our culture of New York; as we always like to welcome, entertain and have everyone travel throughout our five boroughs so they may explore everything we have to offer as a city. The Barclays Center has held all kinds of entertainment and sporting events throughout the years attracting all visitors and New Yorkers.
    I have attended the home opener of the New York Nets in 2012. The arenas layout was nice and the staff was very helpful and informative. Last month, I had the opportunity to attend their inaugural TAPPED: The Ultimate Craft beer festival event held at the Barclays Center. This a great example of the way this arena attracts visitors throughout the year by providing diverse events. There employees have shown great hospitality during all the events I have attended. They are always available anywhere throughout their arena to assist with any questions or requests. They also have a great food selection and their employees are very informative in explaining the menu options. Overall, the Barclays Center is a great attraction to try to visit.