Strengths

My strengths as a nurse are that I have good communication skills. I am able to advocate for patients, explain procedures, anticipate their needs and interrelate the doctors and patients needs to one another.  As well clarify any unclear information or directions given by doctors or patients to eliminate errors. My ability to accept suffering and death without letting it get too personal is crucial. Some days can seem like non-stop gloom and doom in the emergency room, but if you aren’t able to move on from the last trauma, you won’t be able to help the next trauma that comes thru the door.  Being flexible and rolling with the punches is a staple of who I am, but it’s especially important for nursing. For example if you go to get medication but find a line of nurses already waiting, the best thing to do is move on to the next task and come back after, instead of wasting time waiting.  I am able to think clearly under pressure and on my feet.  I have great time management skills and I’m able to prioritize my patients, as well as their needs.  I’m able to recognize signs of distress and place IVs, skills that have been enhanced due to my time working in the ED.  I’m a strong team player and believe teamwork makes the dream work.