Inspiration: Quentin Bacon

Bacon’s style of food photography is very unique and appealing. The background in a lot of these photos are very simple backgrounds like a wooden table or a marble table, a tablecloth, there are even some photos where the background is someone holding the food either the person eating it or the chef. One of the things I notice stands out about these simple backgrounds is that it provides a nice contrast to the food that is the main subject of the photo. I feel like the simplistic backgrounds bring out the detail and color and texture of the food more since there is nothing too heavy in the background that is distracting, and if there is like a person for example Bacon uses shallow depth of field so they are not the main focus of the photo. This photo I have chosen from Bacon is one that I really enjoy a lot.  I love the detailing of the squeezed blood oranges as well as the detailing of the freshly cut ones. Also the simple table top background really allows the colors to pop out more even from the juice on the table to the knife to pop out more. I also love the juice in the cup and the deep purple red color that shows there along with the dark orange coloring on the skin of the oranges.

One thought on “Inspiration: Quentin Bacon

1. rmichals

You describe the photo clearly.

What I find interesting about this photo is that it conveys the richness of the blood oranges by showing the process of juicing them. It is messy. The squeezed halves have a certain vitality that you couldn’t get by just showing the orange itself cut in two. For food photography, this is daring.