Journal Entries 2-14

Journal Entry # 2

2.8.2014

This week I went an searched for internship sites to apply to. I searched all week and found a couple of internships on this website called findspark.com. Findspark is a website where companies or studios post jobs or internships. I applied for a company called Boxee which is a TV product and I also I applied for a company called Learned Evolution shihc is a design studio.

Journal Entry # 3

2/15/2014

Both Internship that I applied for on Findspark got back to me this week, Both companies wanted to come in and discuss the intern position. Since i was more intered in Learned Evolution I went to them first. Learned Evolution is located in Greenpoint Brooklyn. I have never been to Greenpoint Brooklyn before so this was a new experience. Getting there was a bit of a pain because I live in around Coney Island. the commute was about over an hour and 20 mins. Once I got there I found the building and it looked like an abandon building. The studio is on the 4th floor of the building. When I went into the studio there were only 3 people in there, I met with a man name Rob. He is the supervisor there, he told me to sit and their table and told me to just hang out a little bit so he can get ready. In the mean time he gave me a book to look at about there main client which is Brooklyn Bowl. After i looked it over Rob came over with Jashua who is part of the design team. They told me what their company is about and  they asked me a few questions about my experience with my past internship site. They told me that alot of people applied and my online portfolio stood out the most.  They then explained to me what I will be doing if I accept the Internship and what they told me already get me pretty excited. At the end of the interview thhey asked me when I can start coming in and how is my schedule is like. I told them I can start next week. They said okay and they look forward to having me as an Intern.

Journal Entry #4

2/29/2014

This week I started my Internship at Learned Evolution. Learned Evolution is a advertising and branding company. Their main client is Brooklyn bowl with is a music venue, bowling alley and restaurant in the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York. I am the Art and Design Intern, my responsibility as the Intern is the design and create materials for digital and print, design posters and custom art for Brooklyn Bowl, design online ads and assist design team with branding initiatives.

On the first day I met Justin Bolognino who is the Founder of Learned Evolution. The design is a small team of 4 and they told me about the work they do. They showed me a style guide of Brooklyn Bowl and how they want their work to look like. My first design work was to work on an online ad for Brooklyn Bowl. It was a black and white Ad for a band that is going to play in Brooklyn Bowl.  The band I was doing the ad for is The Orb.

On Friday, my second day interning there I worked on an Ad for Instagram where I make a design showing the performers at the Brooklyn Bowl for this weekend. On Fridays Learned Evolution provides lunch and everyone eats together. This was a cool experience because they talk about current and future projects. I learned a lot during this week, I learned new Photoshop techniques, and design skills. I am looking forward is going back next week.

Journal Entry #5

3/8/2014

This week Tuesday at Learned Evolution I did a few more Black and White ads for Brooklyn Bowl. These Black and white Ads goes on the Brooklyn Bowl website. This is very exciting for me because the work I did is put up on a site where hundreds a people will see it. I was taught how to do some more Photoshop techniques and I practiced for a few hours.  After that I went and helped pick up some print ads from the local print shop. When I got back I took my lunch break and I ate McDonalds. After that I continued to work on the black and white ads. I applied the new techniques I learned to make the ad better and I was getting more and more efficient in using those techniques.

On Friday I got to work on an interesting design work called Pictograms where once a week Learned Evolution creates a guess this Artist or Guess this Band design. Then it is posted on Facebook and Instagram, the first person that guess it right gets free admission to Brooklyn Bowl. I was given a few band and artist names and I have to create a creative and hard to guess design. This put my creativity to the test, the first pictogram I did was for the band The Heavy Pets. For that design I used a guy lifting weights and picture of the symbol of Polyethylene terephthalate with abbreviates PET.

Journal Entry # 6

3/15/2014

On Tuesday at Learned Evolution I worked on more black and white online advertisements for Brooklyn Bowl. I did advertisements for 4 bands and this time had to do a vertical ad too. I learned a few new techniques for Illustrator. During Lunch, I went and go a Philly cheese steak from a local Deli. After Lunch I was assigned to convert company logos to vector art for a Keynote presentation project. The logos I was converting were all EDM Music Logos.

On Friday I was assigned to go pick up some USPS shipping boxes from the local Post office so I got up extra early and went to get them. Pick the boxes up was faster than I anticipated so I got to the studio half an hour early. Since I got there too early I worked on my senior project till the project manager came in. I was assigned a new project for Brooklyn Bowl. Every Sunday Brooklyn Bowl has an event called School Night. School Night is when they invite multiple artists and DJS to perform. What they want was a Web and Print Ad, so I worked with the Design Team come up with Ideas.  I was really excited to be part of the project. The studio bought lunch and we had pizza. While eating the team were walking about what everyone was doing the coming weekend. After lunch I continued working on the project but one day was not enough to finish it. I was told to continue it next time I come in.

Journal Entry # 7

3/23/2014

This week on Tuesday I continued working on the School Night ads for Brooklyn Bowl. When I was done I submitted my work in to Basecamp for review. While waiting I worked on my senior project. While working on my senior project I applied the new things I learn to my work. Then I got my review and the design team manager told me to make some changes because I made some typo mistakes. After fixing them I submitted them again for final review.

On Friday I was assigned some more Black & White Web Ads. When I went on to Brooklyn Bowl Web page, I saw the ads I made and it made me happy seeing my work there. When I was done with the Black & White Ads, I went and thought of more ideas for Pictogram. Thinking of riddles is pretty hard because I have to make it hard and not obvious. I struggled to come up with ideas. I eventually came up with a few ideas and executed them and pitched them to the design team and they said the ideas might work. I started Photoshop some images together and then submitted them on Basecamp to see if anyone can figure it out. Some 1 of the bands was easily solved but the other 2 they had problems figuring out, which was a good thing. The team picked one of the riddles to be uploaded on Instagram next week.

Journal Entry # 8

3/29/2014

This week I worked on designing a layout for another client. The client was a restaurant and they have an upcoming event they want to advertise. They just want something that informs people about their event. I did a few mock ups and showed it to the project manager. He picked one and them he told me to upload the image to the client’s WordPress website. The Project manager gave me step-by-step instructions on how to upload it. It was pretty easy; it didn’t take long to upload the file. After that, I took my lunch break; I brought leftover dinner from the night before. During lunch I was talking to another designers about their past careers, they gave me some great advices. I made a few more black & white Ads for Brooklyn Bowl after that. The designers told me Brooklyn Bowl had a change in style and they adjusted the style guides. The original style guide was to fill in the negative space, now they don’t want the negative space filled.

Journal Entry # 9

4/5/2014

This week only the design was at the studio, everyone else went on a business trip for another client. The project manager said the business trip was in Las Vegas. I felt jealous hearing that because going on business trips seems fun. I work on more Brooklyn Bowl ads, it is the end of the month so I made next month’s promo flyer. Adjusting to their new style guide is hard because the text looks weird with all the negative space. The other designers said the same thing but this is what the client wants. For lunch this week we had sub sandwiches from No.7 Sub.

Journal Entry #10
4/12/2014
This week I did some Brooklyn Bowl Black & White Ads and then I was assigned to put some ikea tables together. I thought it would be easy to put a table together, but each table took me 20+ to put together. It was really hard to screw in the nails even with a drill. During lunch time the everyone was talking about the business trip and what went on. After lunch i continued on putting the tables together. After putting all the tables together I felt sore, which means I need more exercise! I continued on some more black & whites and I am still not use to the new style guide, but I got the work done on time.
Journal Entry #11
4/19/2014
This week I brought in my portfolio to let the design team take a look and critique it. I got some good and bad feedback They pointed out problems that I didn’t notice. I did some few ads for Brooklyn Bowl and then made some edits to my portfolio and showed them to the team. I used all the advice they gave me and my work come out a lot better than I originally had it.They gave me some ideas for mocking up my portfolio. I really appreciated that they took their time and helped me with my portfolio.
Journal Entry #12
5/3/2014
This week I only went in for one day because i have to meet with my senoir project advisor. This week I completed my 120 hour requirement for this course. I thought to myself wow time flies and I am glad i am done with it. I was assigned to make a table tent ad card for another client. The client is Brooklyn  Brewery, They are a bar and restaurant. They want to promote their alcoholic breverage called Sorachi Ace. After that I worked on some more black and white ads for Brooklyn Bowl.
Journal Entry # 13
5/7/2014
It is the last month and Spring semester is almost over and I have been very busy with portfolio class and senoir project. Taking all 3 of these course at the same time was tough. The design team had helped me alot this semester by give me feedback and advice. This week I made more ads for Brooklyn Bowl. This time it wasn’t black and white ads. I had to make one with color background.
Journal Entry # 14
This week the marketing team went out on a business trip again and it was only me and the design team at teh studio. I made a few pictograms, I tried to make them hard to guess and be creative at the same time. At the end of the day Rob the project manager asked what I am planning to do for the summer and he told me they would like to hire me part-time because I have been a great intern. I got really excited and told him that I would love to work here for the summer.

Posted in Journal Entries - Wed 2:30pm.

0 Responses

Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.

You must be logged in to post a comment.